The Antelope Zodiac / Zodiac + / Zodiac Gold DAC Thread
Mar 12, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #515 of 529
  I tried the Antelope Zodiac Platinum using my Lumin A1 as the streamer connected with spdif. It was very nice. I decided it was time for a new dac after hearing the improvement.

The Zodiac Platinum indeed is a very nice DAC. I use its USB input only connect to my computer as only USB able to verify DSD and 384 music file. Then balance out to my Auralic Taurus MK2. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #516 of 529
Hey all, still using the old Zodiac 192.

As this was a purchase years ago I was quite content with it's features, however now I want to make the move to a purchase of a turntable.

I'm aware the vanilla version of the Zodiac does not have direct inputs for a tt with preamp, so I was looking around and found this:
http://project-audio.com/main.php?prod=essential2digital&cat=turntables&lang=en

Would I be able to make this setup work by connecting toslink from zodiac to optical-out from tt?
Or.. are there better options?

Thanks

Feb 19, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #517 of 529
  Hey all, still using the old Zodiac 192.

As this was a purchase years ago I was quite content with it's features, however now I want to make the move to a purchase of a turntable.

I'm aware the vanilla version of the Zodiac does not have direct inputs for a tt with preamp, so I was looking around and found this:
http://project-audio.com/main.php?prod=essential2digital&cat=turntables&lang=en

Would I be able to make this setup work by connecting toslink from zodiac to optical-out from tt?
Or.. are there better options?

Thanks

For turntable does not need a DAC :) He needs a preamp, or you can connect directly to active speakers. But to buy a player with optical output, in order to connect to the Antelope - is a mistake. Players of this type - cheap hurdy-gurdy, which you spoil your impression of the vinyl! IMHO.

Jun 15, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #518 of 529
So, who still uses one of these? the Gold is popping up a bit in the 2nd hand market these days. How do these compare to some of the more modern 1-2k DACs?

Sep 27, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #520 of 529
I still am rocking the silver zodiac. Purchased it used a few years ago. Just recently tried the mcintosh headphone amp and dac retail about $3500 I believe. The Mcintosh sounded very good, gobbs of power honestly. However, compared to the zodiac, I still do think the zodiac sounds just as good. Mcintosh has more features but sound wise alone I prefer the zodiac sound. If only it played above 24bit 192.

Anybody compare this to the dave hugo 2? Thanks

Jun 18, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #521 of 529
This is probably a long-shot on a long-dead thread, but I picked up a zodiac and am trying to obtain a voltikus, teddy pardo, YLS or other power supply (18w). If anyone knows where I can obtain one for under $250 I would appreciate any leads.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #522 of 529
Edit: after I “reset” everything (cut power of Zodiac and reset VRAM of Mac,) it works again !

Sorry to add into this old post.

but recently I restarted my Zodiac Gold and found out there a no usb connection with my Mac. I tried to google as much but even Antelope don’t have any support reference for me.

Is that Zodiac do not work with modern Mac OS? I tried 10.13 and 10.15 but seems no good.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #523 of 529
Is that Zodiac do not work with modern Mac OS? I tried 10.13 and 10.15 but seems no good.

I also found this when I switched to Windows 10. I contacted technical support and they said that for my Zodiac support was over and a new driver was not expected. I had to use the SPDIF connector.

Jun 28, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #524 of 529
I also found this when I switched to Windows 10. I contacted technical support and they said that for my Zodiac support was over and a new driver was not expected. I had to use the SPDIF connector.

Interesting, I have no issue connecting to Windows 10, I can even upsample the USB signal to 384khz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back