The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Nov 13, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #2,851 of 2,897
Nov 15, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #2,852 of 2,897
Wonder how this little DAP fares against the DMP-Z1
94C00F80-8601-472A-8D32-4827502528F1.jpeg

It may only be as big as the Z1's volume knob but I can tell you, the Tera sound isn’t as diminutive…

Nov 19, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #2,853 of 2,897
Recently, over at the iBasso 300 Max thread, I came across and bought some Micron Micro SD cards, which supposedly sounded better than other popular rather high end cards, eg Sandisk, etc. Well, I have not done any AB but they do sound great on the DMP-Z1 and other DAPs, so I am thinking of getting some for the Tera player. Not sure about you guys but I have had nightmares with getting Tera to work with some cards. Believe or not, I am still using the Ultras, which is ancient! May I ask what you guys are using on your Tera and how have you experiences been? Thanks ahead.

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #2,854 of 2,897
Tera with a shozy bk earbud is a nice Sunday combo

May 6, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #2,855 of 2,897
Its a shame this player doesn't get more attention. Even after owning high end daps this one is unique. Most organic sound I'm yet to hear

May 6, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #2,856 of 2,897
It’s just such a pain to use, fussy as hell with SD cards, play only WAV and requires so much attention to remember how presses you’ve made to effect the navigation to folders and files…

May 6, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #2,857 of 2,897
It’s just such a pain to use, fussy as hell with SD cards, play only WAV and requires so much attention to remember how presses you’ve made to effect the navigation to folders and files…
I fully agree with you but the sound is amazing. I just put my favourite tracks on it and use it in shuffle mode

May 6, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #2,859 of 2,897
I agree, Tera is still so good. My go-to card is a Samsung 128gb pro plus.

May 6, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #2,861 of 2,897
Hmm. I have only gone up to 64Gb and the Sandisk Extremes or Extreme Pros never worked for me. I’m also wondering about the firmware, haven’t used the Tera for years now! Any upgrade required?
Larger capacities should work if you format the card to fat32

May 6, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #2,862 of 2,897
Hmm. I have only gone up to 64Gb and the Sandisk Extremes or Extreme Pros never worked for me. I’m also wondering about the firmware, haven’t used the Tera for years now! Any upgrade required?
https://download.cnet.com/2Tware-Fat32Format/3000-2094_4-75623509.html
Try this for >64GB SDXC cards, I have been using 256GB (last gen Samsung Pro Plus 256GB, MLC NAND) for long time without any issues.

BTW, I do wish Charles could update the firmware of Tera Player to add a low battery indicator (say, the red LED flash every 10 sec or so). Having said that, there is nothing really broken with the current firmware, it just works.

May 6, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #2,863 of 2,897
https://download.cnet.com/2Tware-Fat32Format/3000-2094_4-75623509.html
Try this for >64GB SDXC cards, I have been using 256GB (last gen Samsung Pro Plus 256GB, MLC NAND) for long time without any issues.
I’m on a Mac, been using the disk utility software to do the formatting. No problems on Ultra cards up to 64Gb to date. To be fair, have not tried other cards or higher capacity for a long time.

BTW, I do wish Charles could update the firmware of Tera Player to add a low battery indicator (say, the red LED flash every 10 sec or so). Having said that, there is nothing really broken with the current firmware, it just works.
My wish is for BT/OTG control of the Tera through an app, which like the Hifiman app for the HM1K, can show playlist and battery level.

May 6, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #2,864 of 2,897
I’m on a Mac, been using the disk utility software to do the formatting. No problems on Ultra cards up to 64Gb to date. To be fair, have not tried other cards or higher capacity for a long time.

My wish is for BT/OTG control of the Tera through an app, which like the Hifiman app for the HM1K, can show playlist and battery level.
I don't think there is a BT receiver inside the Tera Player, a hardware revision is required (which I think is unlikely for Charles to implement, he is a purist when it comes to audio). For me, if he is going to make a new DAP (which is also unlikely), I wish the new DAP would have a more "standard" modern DAP GUI (a screen even if not touch controll supported) which I can scroll for the song to play, and flac support...

For the existing hardware, I hope 2 functions could be added (taking consideration of the hardware capabilities),
1. low battery indicator (by LED)
2. a pause function (by press and hold of the play/stop button)

May 6, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #2,865 of 2,897
I don't think there is a BT receiver inside the Tera Player, a hardware revision is required (which I think is unlikely for Charles to implement, he is a purist when it comes to audio).
Yeah, I think so too, which is why it's a wish(ful thinking), and also maybe OTG via the charge port? Small enough mod? But I don't think Charles is even listening or watching out for any talk of the Tera 'round these parts...

I wish the new DAP would have a more "standard" modern DAP GUI (a screen even if not touch controll supported) which I can scroll for the song to play, and flac support...
I think a screen would throw off the form factor, which is one of its iconic feature; an iOS/Android app for it would be best of all worlds! But for sure, flacs would make it a lot more painless to otherwise readapt files just for the Tera.

For the existing hardware, I hope 2 functions could be added (taking consideration of the hardware capabilities),
1. low battery indicator (by LED)
2. a pause function (by press and hold of the play/stop button)
Hmm. Never noticed the absence of a pause function, is there none? Haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back