The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Jul 4, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #2,131 of 2,897

What's wrong with its navigator? how can he not implement an LCD navigator / folder browser for a device that costs 10,000 euros? 

The user interface is genius - it's the only device which allows me to easily access every file/folder on the SD card without ever taking the device out of my pocket during commute to work. I absolutely love it. If it had screen it would have to be larger and would not be as robust/unbreakable (or the buttons would have to be much smaller which would make it more difficult to navigate by using only touch).
Also, because of it's small size it generates no heat whatsoever in spite of having incredible battery life - unlike any other device I have ever owned. To me the wonderful UI is as much of an appeal to Tera as it's great analog SQ.

I fully agree with you,and also had the Lotoo Paw Gold but i prefer the Tera Player to any other player available today.
Because of the natural sound, simplicity of use and long battery life.

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #2,132 of 2,897

Out of the players you listed I own LPG and have also tried AK240 (and AK120). I much prefer Tera to AK's, but LPG is a different story. I do prefer LPG to Tera but only for extremely well mastered/recorded albums - LPG has some hiss (it's not completely black background like Tera) and if the album is not well recorded it can be brutal on LPG while Tera is smoother. However, LPG has more resolution and bigger stage, and well recorded DSD albums sound incredible on LPG (better then corresponding wav albums on Tera).

Then LPG would be a better choice for me.
I'm looking for an incredible sounding player with large storage option and UI. 

If LPG sounds better than Tera in general, I would go for that. LPG costs about $1400 as used I guess.... 

Browsing 256GB SD card on Tera is impossible...

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #2,133 of 2,897
The only thing which Lotoo PAW Gold falls short is its hardware design. It looks like from 70's....

I wish they make a version 2 with more modernized exterior design.

It looks socially awkward...

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #2,134 of 2,897
  The only thing which Lotoo PAW Gold falls short is its hardware design. It looks like from 70's....

I respectfully disagree. I LOVE the LPG hardware design and looks. I also love it's no nonsense simple UI and lack of touch screen - physical buttons always win in my book because it makes it possible to use in the pocket (unlike AK players for example). Although still not as versatile as Tera which is head and shoulders above anything else in that department. Also LPG does generate some heat so can't keep it in the pocket for very long time ...

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #2,135 of 2,897
Lotoo Paw Gold gets a bit warm when playing 24 bit or DSD files but nowhere near as hot as AK players that can last only few hours when playing the highest resolution music.
The Tera Player is the only music player i have tried which doesn't get warm at all even after 7 hours of playing in the pocket.
Stayed cold with a shiny sound:smiley:

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #2,136 of 2,897

I thought the same, until I tried the LPG. Had it on loaner, and I absolutely loved everything about it, except you can't search for songs. Other than that, even the design, the player is damn near perfect. I'd take that hands down over AK240 (probably the AK3xx's).

Jul 5, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #2,137 of 2,897
  However, the user interface is genius - it's the only device which allows me to easily access every file/folder on the SD card without ever taking the device out of my pocket during commute to work. I absolutely love it. If it had screen it would have to be larger and would not be as robust/unbreakable (or the buttons would have to be much smaller which would make it more difficult to navigate by using only touch).
Also, because of it's small size it generates no heat whatsoever in spite of having incredible battery life - unlike any other device I have ever owned. To me the wonderful UI is as much of an appeal to Tera as it's great analog SQ.

I used to owned an earlier generation of this iPod Shuffle Mini (mono tone color) back circa 2005 (not absolutely sure) and it has all the physical features that Tera possessed (or Tera a larger copy cat version).  Can't remember how it sounds as at that time it's been used for cycling but not for serious listening (did not have good IEM/headphone at that time anyway and as such can't judge).

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #2,138 of 2,897

However, the user interface is genius - it's the only device which allows me to easily access every file/folder on the SD card without ever taking the device out of my pocket during commute to work. I absolutely love it. If it had screen it would have to be larger and would not be as robust/unbreakable (or the buttons would have to be much smaller which would make it more difficult to navigate by using only touch).

I used to owned an earlier generation of this iPod Shuffle Mini (mono tone color) back circa 2005 (not absolutely sure) and it has all the physical features that Tera possessed (or Tera a larger copy cat version).  Can't remember how it sounds as at that time it's been used for cycling but not for serious listening (did not have good IEM/headphone at that time anyway and as such can't judge).

I had that shuffle as well. It was cool for what it was but as far as I remember it sounded bad, had max 8GB memory (no external cards - obviously since Apple does not do that), and I don't think it was possible to navigate the folders (only play/pause/forward/back as far as I remember).
Actually navigation of folders via buttons is something that as far as I know only Tera has as far as screen-less players go. Of course at the same time Tera famously does not have the 'pause' function - which I personally don't care about but I remember people were very upset at Charles for refusing to add that because according to him it was not needed (cause once you decide to listen to music nobody should ever distract you and force you to hit pause for any reason
wink_face.gif
). Anyhow, one of those old Tera threads might have even gotten closed over that particular argument.

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #2,139 of 2,897
With the Tera Player i always use it in shuffle mode with a 128 GB card.When the shuffle mode reaches a song that i really like then one back button click and i stay in that particular artist folder.
Is wonderful like this and very convenient especially with a huge folders list.
Now i want to find which card draws the smallest amount of energy.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #2,140 of 2,897
Out of the players you listed I own LPG and have also tried AK240 (and AK120). I much prefer Tera to AK's, but LPG is a different story. I do prefer LPG to Tera but only for extremely well mastered/recorded albums - LPG has some hiss (it's not completely black background like Tera) and if the album is not well recorded it can be brutal on LPG while Tera is smoother. However, LPG has more resolution and bigger stage, and well recorded DSD albums sound incredible on LPG (better then corresponding wav albums on Tera).

When I had a choice between Tera and LPG, I chose Tera because of quality of highs. LPG's highs are so softened, which is a bit unnatural. The only problem of Tera is almist absent bass. That's why I have my Tera to Russian modder Symmcat. For now, the amount of bass in my Tera is just as Lottoo's one.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #2,141 of 2,897

When I had a choice between Tera and LPG, I chose Tera because of quality of highs. LPG's highs are so softened, which is a bit unnatural. The only problem of Tera is almist absent bass. That's why I have my Tera to Russian modder Symmcat. For now, the amount of bass in my Tera is just as Lottoo's one.

Does Symmcat uses Headfi, does he speak English?
I am sure many want to know about the modification.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #2,142 of 2,897

Which headphones are you using to make these observations? I use Tralucent's (1plus2, Ref 1, and most recently plus5), and I don't make the same observations about either Tera or LPG (don't feel like Tera has any problem with bass, or LPG with highs). The main difference to me is that Tera has a completely black background (no hiss whatsoever) while LPG has some. Tera also is more 'polite' with not well recorded music while LPG is brutal - garbage in garbage out all the way. HOWEVER, with well recorded music LPG is overall better SQ then Tera in my opinion - more powerful which translates to more headroom, and also better resolution which translates to more detail and clear instrument separation. Also LPG has bigger stage then Tera. But if you want to have long listening sessions Tera is unbeatable - black background makes it much less tiring over long listening sessions.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #2,143 of 2,897

Which headphones are you using to make these observations? I use Tralucent's (1plus2, Ref 1, and most recently plus5), and I don't make the same observations about either Tera or LPG (don't feel like Tera has any problem with bass, or LPG with highs). The main difference to me is that Tera has a completely black background (no hiss whatsoever) while LPG has some. Tera also is more 'polite' with not well recorded music while LPG is brutal - garbage in garbage out all the way. HOWEVER, with well recorded music LPG is overall better SQ then Tera in my opinion - more powerful which translates to more headroom, and also better resolution which translates to more detail and clear instrument separation. Also LPG has bigger stage then Tera. But if you want to have long listening sessions Tera is unbeatable - black background makes it much less tiring over long listening sessions.

Never had a chance audition the LPG.

However, back when when I decided to pick one to go (between Tera & AK240) and what you've mentioned are the key ingredients that Tera lacks (as such, Tera was sold).

For those who admired Tera's signature, amping is one of the best ways to bring better performance (or the most) out from your Tera.  

We must not forget why we invested so much $ into this hobby that is to get whatever recorded with minimum lost.  While we can find MORE from other players means that Tera has masked "some" of the information being recorded.  Should this be your cup of tea and that is fine as we all have the right to your own choice.

Cheers

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #2,144 of 2,897
Does Symmcat uses Headfi, does he speak English?
I am sure many want to know about the modification.

As I know, Symmcat doesn't use Head-Fi, but he speaks English.
Here's a page of the modification. Just use google translator :)

http://symmcat.do.am/forum/2-5-1

If anyone is interested, I can translate my own review of Tera Symmcat Edition from Russian forum "player.ru".

I use Etymotic ER-4S with hybrid cable (silver + copper), Fischer Audio TBA-04, Sleek Audio SA6 and Alessandro MS-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back