The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Jul 1, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #2,116 of 2,897
A small, probably not entirely appropriate question before I compose my sales ad:
- What would you say would be a fair price for a four years old Tera Player used for some 2500 hours?
It shows minimal wear and tear (I confess I dropped it a couple of times, yet never in a puddle), no problems I'm aware of (anyway it still has some 9 months of its 5-year warranty left).
Tera has served me very well, but I have stopped to listen to music on the go, which was the only use for headphones apart from the gym; and for the gym Tera is an overkill (so are some of my cans, but 'optimising' the collection will be another step).

Jul 1, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #2,117 of 2,897
  A small, probably not entirely appropriate question before I compose my sales ad:
- What would you say would be a fair price for a four years old Tera Player used for some 2500 hours?
It shows minimal wear and tear (I confess I dropped it a couple of times, yet never in a puddle), no problems I'm aware of (anyway it still has some 9 months of its 5-year warranty left).
Tera has served me very well, but I have stopped to listen to music on the go, which was the only use for headphones apart from the gym; and for the gym Tera is an overkill (so are some of my cans, but 'optimising' the collection will be another step).

If it's a 2012 unit I think the acquisition price was around 1000Eur ,right?  In my opinion that's your starting point . Deduct for usage and you will get a price.
But there are people here that will ask more than 2000EUR for a similar unit.
In the end probably  demand/offer will dictate the final price.

Jul 1, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #2,121 of 2,897

This one hasn't sold yet at $1400 and looks mint

http://www.head-fi.org/t/811946/tera-player

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #2,123 of 2,897
He is still trying to sell them 2016 models with minor cosmetic changes again 

It looks like he has been inspired by my silver skin version below 
redface.gif

2016 Tera-Player models:
'THE REVEREND' switchpad done in dark-brown, blackened screws, polished front- & rear-plates
'ENZO' switchpad done in signal-red, plated screws, polished front- & rear-plates
-red, plated screws, polished front- & rear-plate

Jul 1, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #2,124 of 2,897
I have sent an email to purchase a similar case but haven't received an answer yet:frowning2:

Did you get your case?

No unfortunately as the price was too high, USD 150, and it will not protect the player from sweat,as i use it in the gym also.
Still using the Koss Porta Pro synthetic carry bag without problems.

Jul 1, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #2,125 of 2,897
No unfortunately as the price was too high, USD 150, and it will not protect the player from sweat,as i use it in the gym also.
Still using the Koss Porta Pro synthetic carry bag without problems.

Yeah it is expensive but it is high end hand made craftsmanship, really exclusive

Worth every penny for me

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2,128 of 2,897
  What's wrong with its navigator? how can he not implement an LCD navigator / folder browser for a device that costs 10,000 euros? 

The Tera current price is crazy - that goes without saying (I purchased mine back when it was 840 euro and that was a great price). However, the user interface is genius - it's the only device which allows me to easily access every file/folder on the SD card without ever taking the device out of my pocket during commute to work. I absolutely love it. If it had screen it would have to be larger and would not be as robust/unbreakable (or the buttons would have to be much smaller which would make it more difficult to navigate by using only touch).
Also, because of it's small size it generates no heat whatsoever in spite of having incredible battery life - unlike any other device I have ever owned. To me the wonderful UI is as much of an appeal to Tera as it's great analog SQ.

Jul 4, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #2,129 of 2,897

The Tera current price is crazy - that goes without saying (I purchased mine back when it was 840 euro and that was a great price). However, the user interface is genius - it's the only device which allows me to easily access every file/folder on the SD card without ever taking the device out of my pocket during commute to work. I absolutely love it. If it had screen it would have to be larger and would not be as robust/unbreakable (or the buttons would have to be much smaller which would make it more difficult to navigate by using only touch).
Also, because of it's small size it generates no heat whatsoever in spite of having incredible battery life - unlike any other device I have ever owned. To me the wonderful UI is as much of an appeal to Tera as it's great analog SQ.

Do you think Tera player sound better than Lotoo PAW Gold, AK240, Calyx M, Chord Mojo and Hugo? I wonder if its sound quality justify that crazy price tag.

I use 512GB SD cards so not having a touchscreen folder browser is a deal breaker for me....

I don't think I can navigate my several thousands of FLAC albums with those tiny buttons.

Jul 4, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #2,130 of 2,897

Do you think Tera player sound better than Lotoo PAW Gold, AK240, Calyx M, Chord Mojo and Hugo? I wonder if its sound quality justify that crazy price tag.

I use 512GB SD cards so not having a touchscreen folder browser is a deal breaker for me....

I don't think I can navigate my several thousands of FLAC albums with those tiny buttons.

Out of the players you listed I own LPG and have also tried AK240 (and AK120). I much prefer Tera to AK's, but LPG is a different story. I do prefer LPG to Tera but only for extremely well mastered/recorded albums - LPG has some hiss (it's not completely black background like Tera) and if the album is not well recorded it can be brutal on LPG while Tera is smoother. However, LPG has more resolution and bigger stage, and well recorded DSD albums sound incredible on LPG (better then corresponding wav albums on Tera).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back