The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Jan 23, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #1,486 of 2,897
And most ridiculous the use of apples bud for testing the sound of tera...the apples bud sucks everyone knows that, them koss something...hifiman is going to be bankrupt because the he 1000 can't be driven by tera...my god...the final sound of any system is limited by is weakest component them the tera with koss only plays what a 50 euros headphone can play, period...i am no saying that the koss are bad , for 50 euros are very good, but if they do justice to a 10000 euros DAP the 10000 DAP plays like a 300 one

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #1,487 of 2,897
I thought you guys were just rounding the price up when I saw 10,000 euros in a previous post, but he has actually done it. Regardless of how good you guys say it is, he doesn't deserve to sell any of them at that price. An increase of nearly 3,000 euros in a month. Bloody ridiculous

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #1,488 of 2,897
I thought you guys were just rounding the price up when I saw 10,000 euros in a previous post, but he has actually done it. Regardless of how good you guys say it is, he doesn't deserve to sell any of them at that price. An increase of nearly 3,000 euros in a month. Bloody ridiculous

When the price was $1400 I already thought it was a joke. Trying to see how many people would actually buy such piece of cheap gear and when you "ordered" one, he would tell you it was a joke. But it has never been a joke.

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #1,489 of 2,897
When the price was $1400 I already thought it was a joke. Trying to see how many people would actually buy such piece of cheap gear and when you "ordered" one, he would tell you it was a joke. But it has never been a joke.

I am flabbergasted by that increase. I have never seen a piece of full size hifi at that price. He is seriously taking the mick and as I said he doesn't deserve to sell one at that stupid price.

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #1,490 of 2,897
Hahahahahah the Tera player has always been a joke, I'm sure it's a poke at certain people who will buy anything because it's expensive and because they can, I'm sure he's spent many a night laughing at your expense literally.

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,492 of 2,897

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716918/the-tera-player-thread/825#post_11475012
Quote:
  My view is Charles created a great product but IMO is known to be a bit of a character when it comes to the 'audiophile community'.

e.g.
quote: "polished aluminum, FUR-THER technology"

http://web.archive.org/web/20140310201629/http://www.tera-player.com/

quote: "The ULTRA-AWESOMENESS of the super-matte BLACK-HOLE-BLACK keypad is further enhanced by AUTOSOL hand-polished aluminum edges"

http://www.autosol.com/

And the current:
Field-Test-Units: Scratched, dropped and badly mistreated for years

I personally take all his responses/info with a pinch of salt - but that all from me on this subject - make your own minds up

It has been obvious for sometime that Charles likes to 'wind us up'/take the p1$$

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #1,493 of 2,897
  As wonderful as the Tera Player sounds, it has simply been beaten by technology, and any chance of it being an interesting DAP to purchase and enjoy ruined by its inventor.

I agree inventor did ruin it by crazy price increases. However I strong disagree that it has been beaten by technology - still sounds much better to me than other high end portable players I tried (I tested HM901 and AK120 quite a bit and it was not close so decided it's not even worth wasting time on looking at anything else when Tera sounds so good). Tera is the only digital player that gives me the same sense of analog and 'air'  I used to get listening to vinyls back when I was much younger. Regarding pricing, I paid EUR 810 for the new one and it's hands down the most incredible piece of electronics I have ever purchased (and I have easily spent over $100k on all kinds of electronics over my lifetime). The one thing that does make me uneasy about Tera down the road is the battery that will eventually have to be replaced which means sending it back to Charles. I doubt my battery will have any issues reaching the 5 year warranty window so my concern is what happens when I eventually have to send it back out of warranty - hoping Charles will consider some type of maintenence program and do these types of minor 'repairs' and even perhaps firmware upgrades for a reasonable fee. We'll see but looking at what he's been doing with pricing for new Teras does make me nervous.

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #1,494 of 2,897
I am sure that Charles will look after our Tera players when time comes for the battery to be replaced.
A 6 year old Motorola 700 mHa battery used inside the Tera player still run over 12 hours of playback time.
I have noticed that Gavin the guy behind the Ref1 owns one and he enjoys it enormously.
I had/tried: DX100,AK120,AK240,AK380,Lotoo Paw Gold they are good in their own way,but the sound quality of the Tera is something rather special,unique.
One thing i would like to see: more people to hear the Tera player with the Porta Pro before judging the sound capabilities of this little player.
I know it is very expensive now, and it is really sad as i really know what people will be misusing as they can't afford to buy one,but guys - when we are talking about the sound quality is a different story.

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #1,495 of 2,897
For me it's only guessing why the Koss PortaPro would only sound good on the Tera. Is it because it rolls of that much on the lower end so that the boomy bass of the Koss gets tamed down?

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #1,496 of 2,897
What is extremely interesting about this thread is that contributors still owning Tera Players loudly laud the sound quality with an almost evangelical zeal, yet former owners who've sold their units (when they realised that this DAP has a serious sonic flaw, namely truncating frequency extremes) are quite content to occasionally chip in with polite suggestions for alternatives costing a mere fraction of the Tera Players frankly ludicrous cost. It's almost akin to convincing the diehard Tera Player fanatics that the world isn't flat! :)

For those contemplating buying a Tera Player consider these facts -

The first 10 introductory units were sold for 500 Euros each, I know this as I bought one from Charles at this price.
The price was then set at 840 Euros by Charles - remember that this was a commercial price at which he made a decent profit.
Then A&K introduced the AK... and Charles doubled the price overnight to 1680 Euros - so if he made a profit at 840 Euros what's the margin now?!?
Those A&K numbers kept increasing and so did the Tera Players cost, as now it'll cost you 3360 Euros. Can I hear someone laughing all the way to his bank?
Just to add insult to eccentricity our zany German friend decided to double up yet again, so before the last price hike you only had to spend 6720 Euros to buy a Tera Player.

Please remember that Charles was making a profit selling the Tera Player at 840 Euros. Now ask yourself, is a decent sounding DAP that many former owners have realised was fatally sonically flawed, worth thousands of units of your currency when arguably vastly superior more modern alternatives are available at far less coin?!?

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #1,497 of 2,897
It's truly astonishing that he has raised the price to 10k euros. It's actually unbelievable. I would love to see the reaction of a normal person, seeing this price. It's his player to price as he pleases, but that price tag is laughable, to say the least. People defending it, is even more unbelievable.

I'd be leary at this point if I did own one, wondering what the cost would be for a repair or even a battery replacement.

This is still the same exact device as the original, is it not? Has anyone asked him, why the exponential price increase? From 500 euro to this...it's just mind boggling.

I'm not a hater on anyone, but I hope to God that he doesn't sell any at that price.

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #1,498 of 2,897

Other products from Charles have similary crazy price:

- 10 Watt Amp  6000 EUR   http://www.mother-of-tone.com/byob.htm
- DA-Converter 6000 EUR   http://www.mother-of-tone.com/attraction.htm
- Audio AD-Converter 13000 EUR  http://www.mother-of-tone.com/creation.htm

I think, Charles wants to sell nothing

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #1,499 of 2,897
On later models the software algorithm was tweaked to make the random mode more 'random', aside from that current models are ostensibly exactly the same as my early 500 Euro unit.

It's truly astonishing that he has raised the price to 10k euros. It's actually unbelievable. I would love to see the reaction of a normal person, seeing this price. It's his player to price as he pleases, but that price tag is laughable, to say the least. People defending it, is even more unbelievable.

I'd be leary at this point if I did own one, wondering what the cost would be for a repair or even a battery replacement.

This is still the same exact device as the original, is it not? Has anyone asked him, why the exponential price increase? From 500 euro to this...it's just mind boggling.

I'm not a hater on anyone, but I hope to God that he doesn't sell any at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back