The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Oct 29, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #1,252 of 2,897
  Best diver watch if you ask me, both look and function perfectly: Made in Germany

Wow. I was thinking of getting one of those too. It looks great. If not a Sinn, then a Damasko.

Oct 30, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #1,256 of 2,897
How are compared to Koss modded?
Can you add some photos please?

One of reasons I would never pay more than $5 bugs for tera is the high impedance on output (if its still true). Just compare 0Ohm output source to 10Ohm and you will see (hear) what Im talking about, it's that different. The most annoying is when you use multidriver iems, then very low output impedance is VERY important.

If you have 23Ohm, good player to take all the juice out should have no more than 3Ohms output... unfortunately, only high class hardware can do that :)

So what tera has good graphs when measured with very high impedance input when sources have low impedance... result is a flat not diving much sound. You better off with something like DX100 or HM901s (HM901 has quite low output impedance - and everyone can hear whats the difference, with tera everyone will tell you "oh its special, smooth...just lacks some bass..." that "lacking" is not the bass its its dynamics overall).

If you pair your JH16 with 8+Ohm impedance expect what's described. DAC is less important than output impedance for low impedance drivers :)

Oct 30, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,258 of 2,897
How are compared to Koss modded?

Can you add some photos please?

One of reasons I would never pay more than $5 bugs for tera is the high impedance on output (if its still true). Just compare 0Ohm output source to 10Ohm and you will see (hear) what Im talking about, it's that different. The most annoying is when you use multidriver iems, then very low output impedance is VERY important.

If you have 23Ohm, good player to take all the juice out should have no more than 3Ohms output... unfortunately, only high class hardware can do that :)

So what tera has good graphs when measured with very high impedance input when sources have low impedance... result is a flat not diving much sound. You better off with something like DX100 or HM901s (HM901 has quite low output impedance - and everyone can hear whats the difference, with tera everyone will tell you "oh its special, smooth...just lacks some bass..." that "lacking" is not the bass its its dynamics overall).

If you pair your JH16 with 8+Ohm impedance expect what's described. DAC is less important than output impedance for low impedance drivers :)
I can hear you.
Now if someone is skilled can open up the player and add a resistor and lower the output impedance that will make suitable with IEMs, but i don't think Charles would like that.
You will lose your warrany and i don't recommend it anyway.
I think Tera was made for headphones with 60-70 oHms.
I really wish he could come around and talk to us.

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #1,259 of 2,897
Tera is definitely the wrong device for people who want to play around and experiment with headphones - which includes most people on this forum. It's also the worst choice possible for people who don't want to spend enormous amount of money on this hobby.
HOWEVER, for that extremely small minority of us who want the end game best SQ, and highly portable package possible - then the winner is pairing Tera with one of Tralucent phones (crazy expensive just like Tera) and be done with thinking about anything else.
At least that's my strong opinion based on directly comparing Tera with HM901 and AK120 few years ago, and heavily using Tera with Tralucent phones since I purchased that combo 3 years ago.

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #1,260 of 2,897
Its just a joke device, and i have/had plenty.
Most of way of solving current problems in cheap devices is to tam the output. Tera is too weak to load any earphones properly. If its with a good amplifier thats different story, but without good amp its just a joke :) you are better of with clip+ and keep money for real value - some good earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back