The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Aug 3, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #1,081 of 2,897
:wink:Its less full than the red wine mod
wink.gif

Oh, you mean this kind of 'rose':   
wink_face.gif

Aug 7, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #1,086 of 2,897
5 days a week, 3 hours per day when home... When I travel, sometimes I'm on 10+ hours at a stretch. Usually I leave my cute iPhone where it won't get broken, whereas Tera is more like "equipment", performing flawlessly while working hard and on the move!

Aug 10, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #1,088 of 2,897
I am wondering if because of the new price increase the Tera Player will get forgotten among those who have never seen one before?
But for the rest of us who already have one is something we do appreciate when is about the sound quality the most.
So if you own a Tera Player,are you still looking for a different/better sounding music player?

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #1,089 of 2,897
I am looking for something better in term of UI, however DAP with sound quality of Tera Player (or something share similar sound signature) is rare, and i am unsure if such player exist at all (I don't know much DAPs use R2R DAC apart from Hifiman's HM801/60X series, which does not sound as good as TP)

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #1,090 of 2,897
I am wondering if because of the new price increase the Tera Player will get forgotten among those who have never seen one before?
But for the rest of us who already have one is something we do appreciate when is about the sound quality the most.
So if you own a Tera Player,are you still looking for a different/better sounding music player?

Not looking for better sounding player because I'm convinced it does not exist. I think Tera is perfect in every way - SQ as well as UI (for the way I use the player).
However, given new price I'm sad to say even though I know how great it is there is no way I would be buying another Tera at these prices - no matter how much better it is than anything else out there.

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #1,091 of 2,897
The durability/form factor and UI are simply perfect for me.  I might add that my file organization is always peculiar and nothing like playlisting... Perhaps a modern touchscreen UI might benefit everyone else, but for the visually impaired or inconvenienced the pushbuttons are great!  The price is simply an impossibility, yet today's audiophile market would have been turned upside down had Tera been made mainstream affordably prior to the introduction of more glitzy devices.  At this point we are really just naysayers of the new "Normal", having recognized something from an analogue age.  You know, if I could fit a turntable into my pocket it might sound even better than Tera... Hmmm

Aug 15, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #1,092 of 2,897
Looking for guidance - grateful for any thoughts.

I'm a longtime owner of a Tera, and have been through a series of upgrades to earphones worthy of bridging the space between the Tera and my ears.   For the last year or so, I've been (happily) using DITA (Truth Edition) but recently took the plunge and bought the Ref1 Too (with stock cable - I'd heard that the Tera would struggle to drive the Ref1 Too / Uber Too combination).

I have to say I've been a little underwhelmed with the Ref1 Too so far.  A/B'ing with the DITA, the Ref1 comes off as veiled, and with a lack of "finish".  The soundstage is there, for sure, but the experience is inferior.  

I know burn-in will help, but wondered if there were any thoughts on whether a cable upgrade would be the best next step and, if so, any cable recommendations for the Ref1 Too that has synergy with the Tera.

Again, any thoughts very much appreciated.

Jerome

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #1,093 of 2,897

I'm a longtime owner of a Tera, and have been through a series of upgrades to earphones worthy of bridging the space between the Tera and my ears.   For the last year or so, I've been (happily) using DITA (Truth Edition) but recently took the plunge and bought the Ref1 Too (with stock cable - I'd heard that the Tera would struggle to drive the Ref1 Too / Uber Too combination).

I have to say I've been a little underwhelmed with the Ref1 Too so far.  A/B'ing with the DITA, the Ref1 comes off as veiled, and with a lack of "finish".  The soundstage is there, for sure, but the experience is inferior.  

I know burn-in will help, but wondered if there were any thoughts on whether a cable upgrade would be the best next step and, if so, any cable recommendations for the Ref1 Too that has synergy with the Tera.

Jerome

Depends how many hours that you already have on your Ref.1 Too.  If your impressions derived from within 200, then you should give more time to your phones until it's been fully break in otherwise you might make a decision(on spend) that is inaccurate (to address your needs) or unnecessary.  Be a bit patient will help.

Cheers

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #1,094 of 2,897

....bought the Ref1 Too (with stock cable - I'd heard that the Tera would struggle to drive the Ref1 Too / Uber Too combination)....

Jerome

Really? Who told you that?

From personal experience, the Ref1 Too + Uber Too is easily driven by the Tera. AFAIK the Uber Too is no harder to drive than any of the other Tralucent cables. Also, the Ref1 needs at least a couple hundred hours to fully 'break-in' and sound its best...
wink.gif

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #1,095 of 2,897
The Ref1too of mine and my Ref1 before it certainly took some time to settle down.
Once I had 100 hours on it or there abouts it starts to really come into its own.

I also found that it did seem to react well to clean power source.  However this does not mean the Tera doesn't sound amazing with it (I haven't tried the combo).

I found the Ref1too and Shozy Alien combo to sound amazing.  Alien being a cheap source with little power, so there are exceptions to every rule and given the Tera's track record I would put my money on rather than against.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back