The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Mar 21, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #781 of 2,897
I find wiping both surfaces with alcohol improves grip too. It's the grease accumulated over time that makes it slip. :grimacing:

Mar 22, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #783 of 2,897
Not sure what a contact foil is but I wipe the nozzle body (resin) tip until it squeaks (no more oil) and use an earbud cotton tip to wipe gently the inside of the silicone ortofon tip where it grips the resin body. Both the resin and silicone should be ok with alcohol. Or am I wrong?

I get a week or two of good grip this way before the ortofon starts to slide again. If you want to be extra safe I suppose you can use a small amount of detergent instead.

Mar 28, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #785 of 2,897
Well, it's taken some time but here they are, the Tralucent 1plus2, unbelievable combo together with the Tera.
And so far I'm only playing with the cable from the Earsonic SM64, which in my opinion actually is a nice cable btw.

First impressions:
- very spacial, lot's of air around al music sources, both singers and instruments
- at first a tiny bit highly pitched, coming from the Earsonic SM64 it took 3 days to get brainwashed completely.
- bit odd soundstage, the dimensions of centered singers don't match 100% with the instruments on the sides.
Band seems to be positioned in a circle to wich I'm listening from the first row in the theatre.
- Soundstage otherwise very, very big, it's in every apsect like listening to an over ear headphone (of great quality)

And now for the good news :)

It's really unbelievable how lifelike all performances are, intruments, singers, sounds not meant to be heard in recordings....
Yep, I'm physically there, visiting concerts, studio recordings, concert halls, etc.

Some more finetuning with cables and voila, this is the combo.
And this time without any reservations at all, it's simply that good.

Mar 28, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #786 of 2,897
had tried the tera with quite a number of iems over the past few days. not sure if I'm the only one. but my favourite pairing with the tera is currently piano forte x-g. 'A' shaped sound signature, perfect pairing if you just want to purely listen to your favourite singers showcasing their vocal abilities. vocals is super lush sweet rich and full of emotions.

only hoping to try it with lab1 one day if i have a chance

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #787 of 2,897
had tried the tera with quite a number of iems over the past few days. not sure if I'm the only one. but my favourite pairing with the tera is currently piano forte x-g. 'A' shaped sound signature, perfect pairing if you just want to purely listen to your favourite singers showcasing their vocal abilities. vocals is super lush sweet rich and full of emotions.

only hoping to try it with lab1 one day if i have a chance

Agree. The PFX does really well with the Tera. :)

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #788 of 2,897
Agree. The PFX does really well with the Tera. :)

Yes the sound signature and tuning of pfx is really unique. But pfx and tera is more for when you just want to stay at home to spend some sweet time listening to your favourite vocalists. The poor isolation of the pfx totally cross it out of consideration to be an on the go setup.

and kiats seeing your amazing lineup of iems and daps ireally wonder which are your favourite pairing for the different genres wise and also depending on your mood.

Mar 28, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #790 of 2,897
Yes the sound signature and tuning of pfx is really unique. But pfx and tera is more for when you just want to stay at home to spend some sweet time listening to your favourite vocalists. The poor isolation of the pfx totally cross it out of consideration to be an on the go setup.

and kiats seeing your amazing lineup of iems and daps ireally wonder which are your favourite pairing for the different genres wise and also depending on your mood.

Haha! You are too kind. You have put your finger on it: I'm very much a mood and circumstances kind of guy: depending on my mood and where I am. When I used to travel for longer periods of time, I have been known to carry 2 DAPs and 2 iems.

As for pure relaxation, when I just veg out to some redbook mandopop or acoustic vocals, it currently would be a toss up between the HM901/angel card, Calyx M, Tera Player and PAW for DAP with the Ref1/Uber Too or the MH335DW/Uber Too. :)

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #791 of 2,897
I made a habit to listen every single evening to the Tera with Korta headphones from classical music to 80's pop,electronic.To me it sounds better when i use a SD card rather than micro sd and adaptor.The sound is analogue and not a single bit of digital in the music is found. Sandisk is the most reliable card i have used.
There is a 1 major thing when i listen to Tera player: i can't get enough of the music and never get bored even after few hours of listening, but with other players is completely opposite.

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #792 of 2,897
I made a habit to listen every single evening to the Tera with Korta headphones from classical music to 80's pop,electronic.To me it sounds better when i use a SD card rather than micro sd and adaptor.The sound is analogue and not a single bit of digital in the music is found. Sandisk is the most reliable card i have used.
There is a 1 major thing when i listen to Tera player: i can't get enough of the music and never get bored even after few hours of listening, but with other players is completely opposite.

Charles designed the Tera first and foremost for his personal enjoyment.  Being able to build a business out of it is undoubtedly a bonus.  The Tera embodies the spirit and taste of its designer, and Charles has excellent taste when it comes to what sounds musical.  I can attest to that as an owner of his BYOB Attraction DAC.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #793 of 2,897
You do know that he's an ardent fan of German thrash metal? Not exactly a genre associated with musicality!  
wink_face.gif

Quote:
  Charles designed the Tera first and foremost for his personal enjoyment.  Being able to build a business out of it is undoubtedly a bonus.  The Tera embodies the spirit and taste of its designer, and Charles has excellent taste when it comes to what sounds musical.  I can attest to that as an owner of his BYOB Attraction DAC.

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #795 of 2,897
  He says to me, he listened jazz , rock and jazz-rock, from his email :D .

If I remember correctly in those heated and long ago closed Tera threads Charles posted German thrash metal (or was it even worse - rap?) videos when people got him really angry. That made sense as it seemed like appropriate punishment for pi$ing him off - and it was a very creative and stylish way to get banned and close those threads once and for all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back