The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Nov 28, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #496 of 2,897
I'm not really surprised he took those down. His desription lacks a variety of important details (load used, output power, etc) which have a large bearing on the results. Routing everything through a mixer doesn't strike me as a very good idea, and not just because of the additional effect it has on the signal. He talks about using it to 'calibrate the gain', which suggests he was presenting the different DAPs with different load impedances. I don't think those measurements provide any useful information apart from something being seriously worng with his iPod (unless he was over-driving it).

Nov 28, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #497 of 2,897
His load would have been a common high impedance that all could drive. I don't have issue with the mixer either. The units have different gain and maximum clean outputs etc. How he chooses to match these is rather unimportant as long as the load is a common good for all and there is no reason here why that wouldn't be the case. The gain control on the mixer wouldn't change that. His clip square looks very much like Voldemort's. His Ipod does not but looking over his comments, he thought something was up with that unit as well. It's obviously a Tera favorable type of measurement but I don't see why anyone would question his ethics here. Seems rather straight forward.

One aspect of the Tera that could be changed and normally is on other devices that have multiple filters is that it could maintain his simple non phase shifting type of filter and be essentially flat to 20k with 96K material but it would involve having a second passive filter that would be 3db down at 30k. Do we know that the Tera is decoding higher sample rates and not just disregarding bits? Generally, in old school DACs, oversampling works  in such a way that if you would oversample 8 times for 48k, you sample twice for 192k and once for 384k. A 4 times oversampling old school ladder DAC should be able to decode 176/192k material but generally only in full time oversampling mode unless there's a way to live switch same. Otherwise it may accept a higher frequency input but would sample it at redbook standard. I don't know what's going on here as it could be a different mechanism but it came to mind from the not oversampling comment. I doubt he's using any upsampling before the DAC as I suspect that it's counter his sensibilities.

This says nothing about the performance of the Tera as I've never heard one and I trust a few of it's advocates ears. I believe it's a great sounding piece with any format but for those poo-pooing 24 bit and oversampling out of hand etc. Charles' top DAC fully supports those. His utilization may vary from others but it's never good to assume that because something you like doesn't do certain things, it's better off without, other than the aspect of choice for size and use which is perfectly valid. He's done this as he does for a reason and judging from sound comments, a good one.

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #498 of 2,897

Thanks staxfreak for posting these! 
smile.gif
I didn't realize Charles had taken the page down... Not sure why he wouldn't leave at least the frequency and square wave response graphs for the Tera, I know I waited to see these before pulling the trigger back then ...

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #500 of 2,897
As far as matching goes, an amplifier eliminates impedence compatability issues, yet the spacial qualities of Tera continue to amaze me. PLEASE let me try dedicated music products, but I'll tell you now that my iPhone 6 and macbook are both silly standins for music listening. I get the impedence issues, yet have never listened to any other digital player that did not reproduce a rim-shot to the skull instead of Tera's displaced zap. While it defies the rank and file description, Tera nevertheless delivers an ambient experience I simply don't expect in a digital world. Perhaps one day this can be measured as well...

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #502 of 2,897
I haven't found an amp, of the smaller size variant, that when paired with the Tera, makes it sound better.

You may try out the Vorzuge and it might fit your needs.

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #504 of 2,897
I have the Pure II. Also the Kojo, Porta Tube and tried the Just Audio, ALO. No audible improvements for me.

I don't have experience on other amps apart from Vorzuge.  The audible differences (or you may call it improvements) is mostly on the lower ends with deeper and punchier  bass.  Mids and highs are more or less retained Tera's organic signature.  Thus, I felt amping it gives a better overall balance across all spectrums.  That's my observations.

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #505 of 2,897
  I don't have experience on other amps apart from Vorzuge.  The audible differences (or you may call it improvements) is mostly on the lower ends with deeper and punchier  bass.  Mids and highs are more or less retained Tera's organic signature.  Thus, I felt amping it gives a better overall balance across all spectrums.  That's my observations.

Yes, there are differences, just not the improvements I was hoping for. Perhaps the music I listen to does not benefit from the 'deeper and punchier bass' that you experienced. Then again, there were marked improvements when the AK240 is amped. Oh well, since the Tera is the player I use when I travel, it's at least good to know that I'm getting the best SQ in the smallest package.

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #506 of 2,897

Yes, there are differences, just not the improvements I was hoping for. Perhaps the music I listen to does not benefit from the 'deeper and punchier bass' that you experienced. Then again, there were marked improvements when the AK240 is amped. Oh well, since the Tera is the player I use when I travel, it's at least good to know that I'm getting the best SQ in the smallest package.

Excuse me a bit lazy for not going back to previous posts...may I askwhat IEM that you are using when traveling with Tera?  

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #508 of 2,897
  Presently, Lab 1. Its small, unassuming, easy to put on and off (except in the dark when I can't tell the L from R) and sounds good!

cool

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #509 of 2,897
  Presently, Lab 1. Its small, unassuming, easy to put on and off (except in the dark when I can't tell the L from R) and sounds good!

I love the Lab 1... xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back