The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Jun 8, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #2,072 of 2,897

No. You either buy new from Charles (his email is on Tera web page), or look for used when they get posted here or on ebay.
There are no shops where you can listen to one.

So all the ones that got the player so far just went on a ....hunch?! And the ones expected to spit 10k for a new one ???!!

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #2,073 of 2,897

No. You either buy new from Charles (his email is on Tera web page), or look for used when they get posted here or on ebay.
There are no shops where you can listen to one.

So all the ones that got the player so far just went on a ....hunch?! And the ones expected to spit 10k for a new one ???!!

That's pretty much it. I consider myself very fortunate because I bought it on the hunch (other than rave reviews of some very experienced people here) back when it cost 840 EURO. Let me also add that I'm 53 years old and Tera is hands down the best purchase I have ever made.
Having said all this, as great as it is I would not pay 10000 EURO for it (but for new one I would easily pay double or maybe even triple what I originally paid).

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #2,074 of 2,897

That's pretty much it. I consider myself very fortunate because I bought it on the hunch (other than rave reviews of some very experienced people here) back when it cost 840 EURO. Let me also add that I'm 53 years old and Tera is hands down the best purchase I have ever made.
Having said all this, as great as it is I would not pay 10000 EURO for it (but for new one I would easily pay double or maybe even triple what I originally paid).

I really appreciate your honesty ! Imagine how I feel now as a potential buyer that sees this steep increase in price for basically the same hardware .   Either that guy doesn't care if he sells or not or he did that to artificially increase the price of the sh units....

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #2,075 of 2,897

I really appreciate your honesty ! Imagine how I feel now as a potential buyer that sees this steep increase in price for basically the same hardware .   Either that guy doesn't care if he sells or not or he did that to artificially increase the price of the sh units....

There are few other possibilities. He may be running out of parts to make them, or he has no time to make many due to his other projects, or he is so convinced that his player is the best he wants to make sure the price reflects it (since other high end players are getting expensive - I noticed in the past Tera price would sometimes double around same time when AK would come out with new models - maybe coincidence but who knows). By the way, I happen to agreeTera is the best (I tried AK-120, AK-240, and HM901 but strongly prefer Tera to all of those) - but just because it's best does not mean it should be 3x as expensive.

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2,076 of 2,897
I was in the same boat. I had heard lot of great things about the player, but was never able to demo it personally. So I put up a Wanted Ad in the Classified. Got couple of offers, but to me the pricing was more than I wanted to spend. Fortunately, I heard back from a fellow head-fier in the US, who offered me his mint condition Tera Player for what he had originally paid for in Euros. I jumped on it in a minute. I have had the player couple of months, and it is really something special. I also have an AK 240, but still reach for the Tera Player most of the times. Anyway, put up a Wanted Ad and see what comes up. I have seen them anywhere from $1700 to $2000 in the Ads. Good Luck!

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #2,078 of 2,897
I've been curious about picking up a used one somewhere.  All models only play WAV files, is this correct?

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #2,079 of 2,897
Originally Posted by tgdinamo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's pretty much it. I consider myself very fortunate because I bought it .Tera is hands down the best purchase I have ever made.
What headphones/earphones you are using Tgdinamo?
Over the years I had, cameras, laptops, watches, bikes,many portable music players, but all went, but the Tera Player is here to stay.
It is indeed something special. One has to hear it to realise what real sound it is about.

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #2,081 of 2,897
  Originally Posted by tgdinamo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's pretty much it. I consider myself very fortunate because I bought it .Tera is hands down the best purchase I have ever made.
What headphones/earphones you are using Tgdinamo?
Over the years I had, cameras, laptops, watches, bikes,many portable music players, but all went, but the Tera Player is here to stay.
It is indeed something special. One has to hear it to realise what real sound it is about.

I exclusively use Tralucent Ref 1 and 1plus2 IEM's with Tera. I also have modified Koss Porta but Tralucent phones are the best.

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #2,082 of 2,897
You guys ever use external amps with the Tera Player?

Few years ago I bought Meier Quickstep since it was highly rated by some Tera owners back on old Tera threads (closed by now).
It's a very nice and well made amp (neutral so does not color the sound at all) and allows using Tera to it's potential with more phones. However in my opinion amps are not needed with Tralucent phones at all - those are perfect with Tera without anything else needed.

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #2,083 of 2,897

Few years ago I bought Meier Quickstep since it was highly rated by some Tera owners back on old Tera threads (closed by now).
It's a very nice and well made amp (neutral so does not color the sound at all) and allows using Tera to it's potential with more phones. However in my opinion amps are not needed with Tralucent phones at all - those are perfect with Tera without anything else needed.

Try your Tera with the Wagnus Epilson S and let me know if you have different POV on amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back