The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Feb 15, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #1,714 of 2,897
  I have both modded Koss Porta and Ref1 and prefer Ref1 quite a bit. While I love Koss too but like flymetothemoon said those are not closed phones so they are unusable during commute or at work which is my usage scenario. By the way, I purchased the 1plus2 and later Ref1 primarily to address the usage scenario and did not expect such significant step up on SQ but that's there as well. Actually, I purchased Ref1 to address the one issue I had with 1plus2 which was a touch of sibilance with certain recordings (although my understanding is I could also had addressed that by purchasing the uber cable with 1plus2 - just did not think that cable was going to be managable during commutes because it's supposedly thick & fragile based on what others reported).

Great to have you sharing the experience on both Porta & Ref.1.

I had the 1Plus2 as well and I think the Ref.1 is a more complete IEM with its balance from low to high while 1Plus2 has its strength over the mid and high only.  

Yes, the uber is unusable on commuting as we are not suppose to bend it over a loop that is small than x.  As such, I have reserved the uber only for home/office usage.

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #1,715 of 2,897
I have the original Ref1 and never heard Ref1 Too. Supposedly it's even better - some have reported it's faster and even better bass/midrange which is hard to believe possible.
By the way I also still have the 1plus2 which is especially great for classical music - I prefer it to Ref1 for classical, even without uber cable.
Also keep in mind that Tralucent phones need long burn-in - I would say 200 hours (although they start to settle after close to 100).

I owned the Ref1 before I picked up the Ref1 Too with the improved Uber Too. You are correct in respect of the differences. I would just add: more air and headroom. But seriously, you can't go wrong with either. :)

Feb 16, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #1,717 of 2,897
So to hear the best out of the Tera Player any owner should have 1 plus 2 earphones or even better the Ref1.

Both have good synergies in my experience - 1P2 and Ref Too

Especially when Tera Amped with (Portaphile 627 micro/OPA627BP)

Dont know about the new translucent IEM - Tralucent Audio Plus5 BA - Gavin can advise he has a Tera I recall

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #1,719 of 2,897
Both have good synergies in my experience - 1P2 and Ref Too

Especially when Tera Amped with (Portaphile 627 micro/OPA627BP)

Dont know about the new translucent IEM - Tralucent Audio Plus5 BA - Gavin can advise he has a Tera I recall

It's excellent with the Plus5. I'm actually listening to it out of the Tera Player right now. :)

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #1,720 of 2,897
http://www.head-fi.org/t/798088/new-tralucent-audio-plus5-ba-iem/15#post_12338797

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #1,722 of 2,897
So Plus5 is even better then Ref1 too with the Tera Player?
Do you mind writing here Kiats the full specifications of this iem and post some photos when you are allowed to do so.
Thanks,
Musicday

Will do so. :)

Feb 16, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #1,724 of 2,897
Feb 16, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #1,725 of 2,897
Life is good when you find the music player that really suits your style: sound quality, portability, simplicity ,small size and weight, and amazing battery life.
That's the Tera Player for me.

I tried many other high end players before and owned quite few but I am happy now.
Last thing is to hear/get the Ref1 TOO or Plus5 to fully enjoy this hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back