The All-New WA7 Fireflies from Woo Audio
Jun 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #331 of 726
Like GalaxyGuy, I am using a Mac so not entirely sure how this translates to the Windows world.  But I have my system volume at 100%, and iTunes volume (via BitPerfect) also at 100%.  Then I make all volume adjustments using the WA7.  On the Mac, this provides the straightest "purest" path to the DAC. I believe Windows, like the Mac, has an intermediate audio layer (Core Audio on the Mac) that you want to avoid if possible.

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #332 of 726
Interestingly, when I use my iPad as my source, the system volume on the iPad does not effect the output from the amp. In both cases I am using USB out from the device (for the iPad I am using the CCK to USB).

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #333 of 726
Quote:
^  You know there is a gain switch, right?  Please be careful of your ears!!

That switch is NOT a gain switch. It changes the output impedance. Low is for low (or high) impedance headphones. High is for high impedance headphones.
Quote:
How is the system volume the culprit? it's Digital, the system just tells the DAC how loud to play, the system does not increase the volume of what is sent to the DAC, the reason I get distortion from audio players is that they send a clipped signal to the amplifier past a certain point when I screw with the gain controls, this distortion is present even with the WA7 at low volumes (9 o clock)

It does the crackily thing even when it's at low volume (as in even at 9 o clock) , I find switching it off for 2 min a few times eventually gets rid of it at all volumes

Digital volume controls, if used, increase the level of distortion by lowering the number of bits used. This is not good for sound quality in most cases. Sometimes the volume control on your computer can control the internal volume control of the DAC, whether digital or analogue.   If there are any options available, with the WA7 you want your volume in your computer, if it changes the volume of the music when using the WA7, to be set to maximum. Then use the WA7's volume knob.

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #334 of 726
Quote:
Digital volume controls, if used, increase the level of distortion by lowering the number of bits used. This is not good for sound quality in most cases. Sometimes the volume control on your computer can control the internal volume control of the DAC, whether digital or analogue.   If there are any options available, with the WA7 you want your volume in your computer, if it changes the volume of the music when using the WA7, to be set to maximum. Then use the WA7's volume knob.

Right.  That's what I do, and I guess I didn't realize there were any other possibilities.  Now I know better...

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #335 of 726
Quote:
Like GalaxyGuy, I am using a Mac so not entirely sure how this translates to the Windows world.  But I have my system volume at 100%, and iTunes volume (via BitPerfect) also at 100%.  Then I make all volume adjustments using the WA7.  On the Mac, this provides the straightest "purest" path to the DAC. I believe Windows, like the Mac, has an intermediate audio layer (Core Audio on the Mac) that you want to avoid if possible.

It's true (i think it's called direct sound).
In order to bypass it and send "pure/perfect" bits to the DAC of the WA7, one should set players's output to either ASIO/WASAPI.
They state it in the user manual as well. 
I use Jriver to do that.

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #336 of 726
maybe I should point out that at it's loudest the amp does distort the headphones :) we're going to have to disagree with the whole setting volume level thing, since I think I'm right that everything you do in your system simply tells the C-Media how much to amplify the outbound signals since the digital signal(which it is all the way to the DAC chip) does not have a volume itself.

while I'm sure there are fancy ways of sending the audio to the WA7, I'm 100% sure that's not the cause of the C-Media acting up every so often, as a matter of fact the issue is noted in the manual.

I wonder if there are ASIO and WASAPI plugins for Winamp and VLC :) 

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #337 of 726
Quote:

That switch is NOT a gain switch. It changes the output impedance. Low is for low (or high) impedance headphones. High is for high impedance headphones.

Currawong:  I forgot that. Do you have any information on what the output impedance is when amp is set to low and high?

Jun 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #339 of 726
Quote:
maybe I should point out that at it's loudest the amp does distort the headphones :) we're going to have to disagree with the whole setting volume level thing, since I think I'm right that everything you do in your system simply tells the C-Media how much to amplify the outbound signals since the digital signal(which it is all the way to the DAC chip) does not have a volume itself.

while I'm sure there are fancy ways of sending the audio to the WA7, I'm 100% sure that's not the cause of the C-Media acting up every so often, as a matter of fact the issue is noted in the manual.

I wonder if there are ASIO and WASAPI plugins for Winamp and VLC :) 

http://pbraun.nethence.com/windows/audio/winamp5lite.html

was using winamp w/ wasapi before my wa7 but wanted to try asio (since its supported) and found that guide. it also links you to the plugins you need to "optimize" playback with winamp.

sounds the same wasapi as far as i can tell but didn't give me the issues that the maiko wasapi plugin did. also thought it sounded better than jriver with asio (dunno why its supposed to all be bitperfect right?).

not sure what you've change that would cause distortion so i would start with fresh settings and only change what is necessary.

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #340 of 726
Awesome thanks for your help!

I've tried ASIO4ALL but it just randomly stops working in the middle of songs!

I think I've assertained that part of my issue is a faulty usb cable, so much as bumping it causes the C-Media to drop out :frowning2:

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #343 of 726
ok replacing the USB cable seems to have resolved all the crackily issues! I have also installed ASIO with Foobar but I cannot really tell the difference :| 

glad you fixed the crackling. I heard a difference right away, things sounded slightly more dynamic. as long as all your settings are good then at the very least you don't have to worry about bits get altered.

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #344 of 726
Quote:
When I change the system volume on my Mac it changes the volume of what I hear at the headphones through the DAC/amp.  If the system volume is muted, my amp will not produce a signal regardless of the setting of the attenuator on the amp.

Weird... on my mac the system volume and keyboard controls have no effect on the output volume of the signal from the WA7...  perhaps you have some bad drivers?  I actually wish the system volume did control the output volume.  Perhaps you are using something like sound flower or some in between hijack type app?  

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #345 of 726
Quote:
Someone has any experience with the WAt and Beyer T1 ? very interested in purchasing one.

I have both and it is a stellar combo.  Definitely recommended! 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back