The All-New WA7 Fireflies from Woo Audio
Feb 8, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #556 of 726
  I just pulled the trigger on the WA7 and some hd800. Although I completely trust the head-fi community I am extremely nervous!! It's a lot of money! I have been listening to he500's through a E7/E9 combo and it sounds ok but I know that I have never heard the true glory of these awesome headphones. In all theses post I have heard a lot of folks say the hd800 and the WA7 is a really good synergy and also good things about the he500 and the WA7. I'am hoping that I will be able to get complementing sound signature from this setup. I euphoric mid-range for my rock and electronic music and when I am listening to more complicated music I hope with the hd800 that I can really get inside the music and feel the emotion that the song is trying to convey. I really wanted to say thanks for all of the people to in this awesome community where I live in Alabama there really is no audiophile meetups so I love getting on here and hearing everyone opinions. When I get the WA7 I am promptly going to put up a review of the WA7 and the he500's because I know these headphone and they are really broken in. Wish me luck! Thanks a lot head-fi! 

Yup, that's a lot of money to spend if you don't really know how this combo will suit you. But I can't imagine that you wouldn't see a marked improvement over your current setup. From my experience to get the HD800 to sound even better would mean spending another $2-3k, and the improvements are rather subtle.

What I noticed though is that the stock tubes in WA7 are not ideal for the HD800, so I'd recommend to get at least the EH gold pins from Woo or look for any of the cryo-treated varieties if you can find them.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #557 of 726

Yup, that's a lot of money to spend if you don't really know how this combo will suit you. But I can't imagine that you wouldn't see a marked improvement over your current setup. From my experience to get the HD800 to sound even better would mean spending another $2-3k, and the improvements are rather subtle.

What I noticed though is that the stock tubes in WA7 are not ideal for the HD800, so I'd recommend to get at least the EH gold pins from Woo or look for any of the cryo-treated varieties if you can find them.

Thanks for the reassurance on the HD800 buy PleasantSounds, and I did opt for getting the EH tubes. I plan to put these in first thing!

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #558 of 726
Agree with you FB1.
Sometimes I do consider the WA7 as a tube amp, with the DAC thrown in as bonus
tongue.gif

They excel as a tube amp and I'm happy for that.

@SuPrbly,
The WA7 (with upgraded EH tubes) and HD800 is my main combo at home, and they are a great pairing.
Yesterday I had the chance to audition the Sennheiser HDVD800 with HD800 (with single-ended headphone cable only), and to be honest I much prefer the WA7 with the HD800.

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #559 of 726
  I just pulled the trigger on the WA7 and some hd800. Although I completely trust the head-fi community I am extremely nervous!! It's a lot of money! I have been listening to he500's through a E7/E9 combo and it sounds ok but I know that I have never heard the true glory of these awesome headphones. In all theses post I have heard a lot of folks say the hd800 and the WA7 is a really good synergy

Hey,

did you read my review of the Woo Fireflies vs the Concero HP?
So, i wanted to tell you that my first impression of the Woo was as a DAC, and it has an impressive sound.
I have not discovered this amp to sound "soft". or "midrange dominate".
When i first began to use it strictly as a tube/headphone amp through the RCA inputs, it was very bright.....almost glassy and not that pleasing to hear.
Its sounded very solid state thin, as a matter of fact the first few hours i used it.
This surprised me as ive read a few comments about how it sounds "gorgeous" right out of the box.
Well, mine didnt.....its sounded extremely  trebly and lacking in bottom end the first few hours.
New tubes, new circuit, needs time to flex and stretch.
So, mine didnt really begin to show up sonically until the tubes had about 3 good hot hours of burn, and since then, the sound has widened and enriched and it sounds better and better the more it burns in.
So, if yours is like mine, and at first it sounds painfully bright and glassy, then give it some hours, let the tubes cook, and it'll change.
Mine did.

Enjoy it.
Its a cool piece.

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #560 of 726
  Hey,

did you read my review of the Woo Fireflies vs the Concero HP?
So, i wanted to tell you that my first impression of the Woo was as a DAC, and it has an impressive sound.
I have not discovered this amp to sound "soft". or "midrange dominate".
When i first began to use it strictly as a tube/headphone amp through the RCA inputs, it was very bright.....almost glassy and not that pleasing to hear.
Its sounded very solid state thin, as a matter of fact the first few hours i used it.
This surprised me as ive read a few comments about how it sounds "gorgeous" right out of the box.
Well, mine didnt.....its sounded extremely  trebly and lacking in bottom end the first few hours.
New tubes, new circuit, needs time to flex and stretch.
So, mine didnt really begin to show up sonically until the tubes had about 3 good hot hours of burn, and since then, the sound has widened and enriched and it sounds better and better the more it burns in.
So, if yours is like mine, and at first it sounds painfully bright and glassy, then give it some hours, let the tubes cook, and it'll change.
Mine did.

Enjoy it.
Its a cool piece.

Thank for the info FullBright1, Im glad you said that. It's getting ordered to my job so I think I'll go ahead and open it and lets those tubes fry while Im working so when I get home it will have a little time on the tubes. Im stewing with excitement, I'll be extremely anxious for the next two weeks or so until I get it!!!

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #562 of 726
  hey can any one help me with this problem. my wa7 has really low volume in windows even though the sound is maxed out on my os. would new tube make it louder?

I don't think new tubes will make it sound louder.
If yes, could only be marginally louder but don't expect night and day difference, unless your original tubes are faulty.

BTW, may I ask what headphones are you using and what is the impedance (Z) setting on your amp?
Have you tried connecting using the amp RCA input from your PC/laptop headphone out and are they still sound low?
Are you using the 1/4" jack or the 1/8" jack when driving your headphones?

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #563 of 726
  hey can any one help me with this problem. my wa7 has really low volume in windows even though the sound is maxed out on my os. would new tube make it louder?

the EH tubes wont make it louder, only slightly clearer and will extend the bass a bit, which is not the same as making the bass louder.

Your Woo USB setup should be @ 100% in your Window Volume window and quite loud through the Woo headphone out past about 10-11 am Vol position with Senn 600s, and if you have closed then probably 9am is quite loud..

something in your setup in your Windows is seemingly not correct.

why not contact Woo and ask them.

Woo Audio info@wooaudio.com

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #566 of 726
D100 arrived and sounds great... about half the output power of my HeadRoom Ultra but the sound quality is very good.  Drives the LCD-X just fine at a volume setting of 50% is comfortable and 60% is a pretty good jam volume.  Lacks a slight bit of energy in the punch but overall it is a nice unit.  Will give it a week to decide but feels like a keeper.  My guess is it will really improve the WA7 I am pairing it with which is eventually what will be driving the LCD-X.  Just wanted to make sure the headphone out could give a good show if it had to.

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #567 of 726
Hello all,

My name is Raymond and I am an Audioholic...

The latest vice I have been hooked on for a little while is headphones and the headphone experience enhancing amplifiers with or without the catalyst DAC.

Having used a variety of combinations givinig me different highs, I think I reached the top of my budget and the absolute high possible with that...

Right now I upped the ante going from Schiit (Modi DAC with 1st a Magni, 2nd a Vali, 3rd an Asgard and 4th the Valhalla) to a Woo Audio WA7...

Even though the Schiit was good, the WA7 takes my office listening experience to a new high.
The WA7 is being fed from the PC via USB, playing the rather low rez Spotify.

With the Schiit there was some hiss, little hum and I accepted that it was not a clean high. I was happy, they drove the HE-400's and AKG K550's to my satisfaction, at least so I thought.

Then I had a little taste of the WA7 and I was hooked.. Heroin is cookie dough compared with the high the WA7 gives me on the nice but modest headphones I use in my office.

I am in my third week of using the WA7 and unlike the Schiit the high is getting better every time I use it. Right now it feels like it has loosened up and settled in completely and I hear different little details, more space around the instruments, the bass is way more tight (you can almost feel the fingers pluck the bass snares), voices are more realistic... overall it gives my ears a better high. Last, but not least, at full volume without any music playing it is DEAD quiet, like falling into the depths of space after a wonderful high of music playing.

Last last and definitely not least.... the WA7 is sexy as hell with the transparent glass top showing the glowing tubes...

If I didn't need the flexibility of balanced inputs and outputs I think the WA7 can dethrone the Bryston BHA-1 I use at home. The Bryston gives me a great high on all levels, but doesn't sound as 'fun' as the WA7 and the Bryston needs better cans to make it sound at its best.
I guess I need to take the WA7 home and connect it to better hardware, stream some higher rez stuff and try better cans (Audio Technica W1000X and AKG K702 65th Anniversary)...

Bryston be warned!

I know this Audioholism is a strong addiction and it is hard to not want to pursue higher highs, but I think with all your help I can stay off the bank account crushing goodies out there and stay happy with the high that Woo Audio gives me...

Thank you for listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back