The all new Continental Dual Mono
Apr 21, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #1,381 of 2,704
I use my Onkyo DP-X1 with the CDM and an OTG cable without any problems. Also tried it 2.5mm balanced out from the Onkyo into balanced in on the CDM and then balanced headphones output from the CDM.
The CDM also sounds great with my iP6 using the Apple CCK and a UBS-micro USB, or a custom replacement that does away with the CCK.

So can you tell us which config sound best:

DP-X1 digital OTG -> CDM
Or
DP-X1 Analog bal out 2,5 Jack -> CDM

Thanks.

Apr 22, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #1,383 of 2,704
So can you Tell is which config sound best:

DP-X1 digital OTG -> CDM
Or

Thanks.

OTG for me. I tried the analog balanced in and it sounds fine, but I immediately felt the loss of "something" that makes the CDM sound the way it does. The only analog in that I've heard that surpasses the build int DAC is from my Gungnir MB.

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #1,385 of 2,704

When play DSD, do you choose DoP or Native? Thanks

Unfortunately, I can only get CDM to work with DOP from my Mac using the ALO DOP driver. I have not been able to get it to work via OTG. I only get static when I tried. Since I don't have a DSD library or plan to, I have not spent much time trying to figure out the problem.

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #1,386 of 2,704
OTG for me. I tried the analog balanced in and it sounds fine, but I immediately felt the loss of "something" that makes the CDM sound the way it does. The only analog in that I've heard that surpasses the build int DAC is from my Gungnir MB.

Thanks for the answer.

And do you find ONKYO DO-X1 + CDM clearly superior to ONKYO DP-X ( Balanced) Alone ?

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #1,387 of 2,704
Thanks for the answer.

And do you find ONKYO DO-X1 + CDM clearly superior to ONKYO DP-X ( Balanced) Alone ?

For my Laylas, the CDM is a major step up from the DP-X1 that anyone would notice. There is a muddiness to the upper mids on the Laylas when using the DP-X1 balanced or SE out. I don't think this is due to sound signature of DP-X1. My theory is that it is due to some impedance mismatching at higher frequencies. I have not seen a graph of the Laylas, but I'm pretty sure the impedance drops significantly in the upper mid frequencies. My AK240 had the same muddiness. When using a more powerful amp with lower output impedance, the Laylas really shine. Mojo and Vorzuge Pure II+ sound great with the Laylas and like the CDM they both have nearly 0 ohm output impedance whereas DP-X1 and AK have 1-2 ohm impedance.

I did a brief listen with my W60 and Onkyo and the combo is really good and no problem with impedance mismatching.

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #1,388 of 2,704
I use my Onkyo DP-X1 with the CDM and an OTG cable without any problems. Also tried it 2.5mm balanced out from the Onkyo into balanced in on the CDM and then balanced headphones output from the CDM.
The CDM also sounds great with my iP6 using the Apple CCK and a UBS-micro USB, or a custom replacement that does away with the CCK.

So can you tell us which config sound best:

DP-X1 digital OTG -> CDM
Or

Thanks.

DP-X1 > digital OTG > CDM balanced out
In fact iPhone 6 > digital OTG (custom cable) > CDM balanced out was as good anything I've ever heard, with my particular flavour of IEMs and cable.

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #1,389 of 2,704
I compared my CDM to quite a few desktop amps like the questyle cmr800, fostex and wa22/wa5. It probably don't have as much power but on most headphones I prefer the CDM on balanced then those amps

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #1,390 of 2,704
I compared my CDM to quite a few desktop amps like the questyle cmr800, fostex and wa22/wa5. It probably don't have as much power but on most headphones I prefer the CDM on balanced then those amps

Interesting, but can you be more specific?

Been trying to decide between the Woo WA8 and the CDM. Was leaning toward the WA8 until I read your post.

No way the WA8 will outperform the WA22 or the WA5. Those amps also have balanced outs like the CDM but they are not hybrids. Not fair to compare them power-wise either. If you prefer the CDM over them that puts the WA8 further down the list (which is contrary to everything I'd read so far).

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #1,391 of 2,704
Interesting, but can you be more specific?

Been trying to decide between the Woo WA8 and the CDM. Was leaning toward the WA8 until I read your post.

No way the WA8 will outperform the WA22 or the WA5. Those amps also have balanced outs like the CDM but they are not hybrids. Not fair to compare them power-wise either. If you prefer the CDM over them that puts the WA8 further down the list (which is contrary to everything I'd read so far).

Ok first the wa8 is totally different from wa22 and wa5. It's very bottom heavy while the CDM is more balanced. Clarity wise the CDM is great but in terms of warmth and the lows, the wa8 is fantastic. If you out it in other way, the wa8 is tube amp with all the traits of tubes while the CDM is the solid state sound with a touch of warmth and tube smoothness. Different and personal preference

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #1,392 of 2,704
Ok first the wa8 is totally different from wa22 and wa5. It's very bottom heavy while the CDM is more balanced. Clarity wise the CDM is great but in terms of warmth and the lows, the wa8 is fantastic. If you out it in other way, the wa8 is tube amp with all the traits of tubes while the CDM is the solid state sound with a touch of warmth and tube smoothness. Different and personal preference

Thanks for the extra insight.

Haven't heard any of the amps yet but will be buying one soon. The CDM's balanced out is a plus but think I might go full tube (instead of hybrid) if going down that road.

Woo said they made the WA8 to sound like a full valve desktop instead of a portable. Until now, I didn't realize it could sound so different from all their other amps (their pdf comparison chart with amps ranked by stars makes it more confusing).

No problem though, both clearly sound great (haven't read anything negative about either's sound quality). Guess it comes down to, if you had to choose only one, would you pick the WA8 or the CDM?

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #1,393 of 2,704
Apr 28, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #1,394 of 2,704

Thanks for the extra insight.

Haven't heard any of the amps yet but will be buying one soon. The CDM's balanced out is a plus but think I might go full tube (instead of hybrid) if going down that road.

Woo said they made the WA8 to sound like a full valve desktop instead of a portable. Until now, I didn't realize it could sound so different from all their other amps (their pdf comparison chart with amps ranked by stars makes it more confusing).

No problem though, both clearly sound great (haven't read anything negative about either's sound quality). Guess it comes down to, if you had to choose only one, would you pick the WA8 or the CDM?

If your current headphone and source leave you wanting something like +3-4 dB boost in the 120 Hz on down, then go with WA8. If the low end is fine with what you currently have and just looking for more dynamics and soundstage, then CDM. At this price point, it is more of a question of your full end-to-end listening chain and personal preference.

Apr 30, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #1,395 of 2,704
It is not possible to use the CDM when connected to the charger ? I think in use dac / amp on my PC
?
When I connect the charger to the CDM in listening to music, CDM produces a USB bug and is no longer recognized ! If I go in alone usb, more bug and I just use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back