The all new Continental Dual Mono
Feb 6, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #1,261 of 2,704

What do you mean in term of output level ? Is the CDM more or less powerful than the AK380AMP ?

CDM is just fine with the HEK, There is plenty of power

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #1,263 of 2,704
Not for me. I'm using sonotones if that matters. I have to use high gain, full volume and there's distortion/cut-off.

I use the sonotones too, but i listen to the KEH in balanced mode. It is more powerful than SE.

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #1,265 of 2,704
Maybe that's why. Are you using a particualar cable or using stock with xlr female to 2.5 male?

2.5 to XLR stock cable
But i am also using the mojo as a line source SE
Not the AK380 audio out
I guess this might help too

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #1,266 of 2,704
Hi all,

If you are looking for the perfect transport/DAP for the CDM, I would highly recommend the Onkyo DP-X1:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5

You can purchase this from a couple sources in Japan now and due to the strong USD, you can buy for as low as $650. The benefits for CDM are:

1. Near perfect stacking size. Looks and fits like it a single device.
  2. OTG or Balanced Input. This is really unique. Yes, the 2 sound different but it's great to have choices. In brief, the dual Sabre DACs in the DP-X1 create more high end detail and sparkle, but brings the sound stage closer. What's really cool is you can have both the D-X1 and CDM connected to power in line out/in mode.
  3. Dual micro SD card slots
  4. Full Android OS, not custom
  5. Unfortunately, wifi streaming adds too much interference for CDM so you would have to use in DAP only mode for those. Good news is that the DP-X1 is no slouch in stand alone mode.

I will post a more detailed impression of OTG and Line In once I get my custom cables.

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #1,267 of 2,704
  Hi all,

If you are looking for the perfect transport/DAP for the CDM, I would highly recommend the Onkyo DP-X1:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5

You can purchase this from a couple sources in Japan now and due to the strong USD, you can buy for as low as $650. The benefits for CDM are:

1. Near perfect stacking size. Looks and fits like it a single device.
  2. OTG or Balanced Input. This is really unique. Yes, the 2 sound different but it's great to have choices. In brief, the dual Sabre DACs in the DP-X1 create more high end detail and sparkle, but brings the sound stage closer. What's really cool is you can have both the D-X1 and CDM connected to power in line out/in mode.
  3. Dual micro SD card slots
  4. Full Android OS, not custom
  5. Unfortunately, wifi streaming adds too much interference for CDM so you would have to use in DAP only mode for those. Good news is that the DP-X1 is no slouch in stand alone mode.

I will post a more detailed impression of OTG and Line In once I get my custom cables.

Do you know the DPx1 uses same 2.5mm configuration as the AK's?

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #1,268 of 2,704
Feb 9, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #1,271 of 2,704
Hi, I just received my CDM last week and even with very limited use so far (bought it for out of town) I am loving the sound.

I would however like to try the Sonotone 5719 tubes as they run cooler and will increase battery life.  Since they weren't in stock at ALO I just ordered the PCB boards and ordered some tubes off of eBay.  I can't see these tubes possible fitting any other way into the PCB boards as the spread of the wires seems propper, and they also appear to be in the exact position as on the video.  I just wanted to get a second opinion prior to soldering.  Thanks.

A couple of my CDM pics thrown in:)

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #1,273 of 2,704
  Hi, I just received my CDM last week and even with very limited use so far (bought it for out of town) I am loving the sound.

I would however like to try the Sonotone 5719 tubes as they run cooler and will increase battery life.  Since they weren't in stock at ALO I just ordered the PCB boards and ordered some tubes off of eBay.  I can't see these tubes possible fitting any other way into the PCB boards as the spread of the wires seems propper, and they also appear to be in the exact position as on the video.  I just wanted to get a second opinion prior to soldering.  Thanks.

A couple of my CDM pics thrown in:)

It looks good to me too. I did that too for a number of tubes :)

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #1,274 of 2,704
While we have the DIY folks on the thread, it would be great if I could ask a couple more questions:

1) What is that metal loop labeled "defeat LED" for? I see this on all of the ALO finished tubes, but not sure if that's required or what it's for. If it is required, can I just use left over wire from the tube leads?

2) Do the tube leads need to be cleaned/prepped in anyway before solder?

Thanks!

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #1,275 of 2,704
  mmmm......so long as you've religiously followed the instructions (pin # 1 aligned) as posted by Alo Audio in the CDM tube rolling thread, you are good to go.

It looks good to me too. I did that too for a number of tubes :)

Thanks guys
beerchug.gif
.    This is my first attempt at soldering, asides from practicing on a practice board.  I am going to order some helping hands with magnifying glass and finer soldering tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back