The all new Continental Dual Mono
Mar 30, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #31 of 2,704
I heard this at Canjam and it was one of the highlights of the show for me.  I was extremely impressed at how good it sounded.  The fit an finish were on par with the best stuff at the show.  I even told Mike at Woo Audio that he needed to go listen to it because his WA8 is going to be competing and it's stiff competition!

Like seriously, I agree with DecentLevi.  This is a really really good sounding device.  For $1 grand less than the Hugo, you're getting a worse DAC and a better amp.  The net is a better sounding device.  Did I mention it's $1000 cheaper?  While the Hugo is an amazing DAC, it just doesn't hold up when you're comparing the full product.  If you like the Hugo DAC, get a 2Cute and a real amp.  If you want an all-in-one portable that will make your jaw drop, this is the way to go.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #32 of 2,704
Vinnie and could not be more thrilled, after a very long tough time working on this its great to finally see it come to life!

Sitting here putting the CDM through its paces! DSD LED is white. Got our CDM amp straps in today.

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 30, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #33 of 2,704
I found the Continental v2 to be a top-shelf portable amp with higher impedance headphones. This new Continental Dual Mono looks like an interesting collaboration where two teams shared ideas and knowledge. The feature set is excellent and I will take a test-drive.

With respect to the the Hugo mentioned in this thread; I was disappointed in the amp stage and found external (portable) amps a requirement. Given the size, price and subpar amp stage, the Hugo did not win me over.

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #36 of 2,704
Don't know if it's been mentioned but will this work with an iPhone?

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #37 of 2,704
Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #39 of 2,704
  I found the Continental v2 to be a top-shelf portable amp with higher impedance headphones. This new Continental Dual Mono looks like an interesting collaboration where two teams shared ideas and knowledge. The feature set is excellent and I will take a test-drive.

With respect to the the Hugo mentioned in this thread; I was disappointed in the amp stage and found external (portable) amps a requirement. Given the size, price and subpar amp stage, the Hugo did not win me over.

I'm probably atypical of many Hugo owners as I bought the thing as a dedicated DAC for use with my Taurus performing amp duties - the form factor was just a bonus getting it from Sydney to my current home in Thailand. All I can say is that I've never found headphones a great deal of fun in a noisy environment, even with IEMs that seal sufficiently well to block out external noise. As excited as I am about the enthusiasm that came out of CANJAM for the Continental 2, lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater - used as a dedicated DAC in a desktop system over a long period of time, I can see why so many reviewers went ga-ga over the Hugo in their $$$ speaker rigs. Those reviews were a blessing and a curse, particularly for those who were already iffy on the ergonomics and the styling : all I can say is that it can be easily hidden and left plugged into the Wallwart 24/7 with no appreciable impact on the sonics - no idea whether its actually any better or worse than the Qute Ex in the real world but it still sounds good to my ears. 

Congrats to the team at ALO for delivering another portable where the tubes appear to do more than simply add pretty lights to the equation (cough, Peachtree  :D)

Mar 31, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #40 of 2,704

Buyer of RWAK120 from Vinnie. Very good work and awesome service. Vinnie is very reactive even for overseas customers (France).
I can see that the same Wolfson 8741 chip has been chosen for the CDM. Why not 2xDACs like the RWAK ?? Doesn't lose space for example for large phalanxes in classical music ??
How soundstage is managed for headphones (known for music in the head syndroma) ?
Device looking good, M Mercer addicted to Studio Six but looking at how it will manage Classical music.

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #42 of 2,704
HI Prot,

Just amp side so one DAC.
DSD64
44.1K/48K/88.2K/96K/176.4K/192KHz
native DSD
Digital input is USB, no optical
Digital output? no. The DAC in it is awesome so we included a dedicated level line out jack so you can use it as a battery powered stand alone DAC.
Battery play time is 7 hours analog and about 6 when using the DAC. The power supply and charging circuit is very very quite so you can also play and charge at the same time. IE you can connect to power supply and run it as long as you want.

Thank you,

Ken

Many thx for the fast & clear answers. Dsd64 is still a sore point for me. If I pay $1000+ I want a device that can handle pretty much everything a DAP can throw at it ... and allows me to forget about formats, bitrates, etc and just enjoy the music.

Otherwise looks like a very solid contender ... guess I'll wait till some impressions come in. Subscribed.

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #43 of 2,704
Many thx for the fast & clear answers. Dsd64 is still a sore point for me. If I pay $1000+ I want a device that can handle pretty much everything a DAP can throw at it ... and allows me to forget about formats, bitrates, etc and just enjoy the music.

Otherwise looks like a very solid contender ... guess I'll wait till some impressions come in. Subscribed.

Hi prot,

The WM8741 is limited to native DSD64 (2.8MHz), and we still decided that it was the best sounding chip for our goals.  Luckily, most DSD files out there are in fact DSD64. 

Buyer of RWAK120 from Vinnie. Very good work and awesome service. Vinnie is very reactive even for overseas customers (France). I can see that the same Wolfson 8741 chip has been chosen for the CDM. Why not 2xDACs like the RWAK ??

Hi Cladane,

Thank you for your kind words! 

The RWAK100-S uses 1 x WM8741 (with single-ended, 3.5mm line out.... just like the CDM).  But unlike the RWAK100-S, the CDM offers native DSD64 support.  I also much prefer our
analog output stage after the d/a (very important factor in sound quality of the dac - it's not just the d/a chip alone that determines the sound), and we use very good linear regulation
for the d/a's 5V and 3.3V lines. 

I also need to mention that we use a dedicated clock generator IC that offers significantly lower jitter than most crystals found in the portable players and even more expensive dac units. 

If we used two WM8741 like the RWAK120-S, we'd have to make the unit even a little larger (and we did not want to make it any wider and no longer than the iPhone 6+) and the battery life
would be lower.  Instead, we decided to stick with one WM8741 and make a great analog output stage for it, great power supply rails, great clocking, etc. 

Congrats to the team at ALO for delivering another portable where the tubes appear to do more than simply add pretty lights to the equation (cough, Peachtree  :D

Hi estreeter - thank you!  Yes, the CDM's dual mono tube stage is integral to the sound - no matter if you are using the SE, BAL, or USB inputs.  They all feed through the dual mono
6111 tube stage and we believe we really hit it out of the park in terms of sound and low noise / microphonics. 

Going dual mono with the tubes also enhanced the sound stage - we initially were using a single tube, and then ALO really wanted to know how the sound would change with one tube per channel.  It was quite remarkable!  So we had to use the two tubes, even though the battery life was a little lower this way.  With CDM, we put the sound quality first, and ALO really wanted to capture a lot of the Studio Six's sound with a portable package. 

question: if I'm going to use my failing DX50 as pure transport, what output will I have to use to what-input you have in the CDM as dac/amp? Is it the coax out? 

Hi rpade,

The CDM only has a USB digital input. It works with your Mac, PC (you need to load the drivers), as well as iOS devices (using CCK) and Android (ALSA installed).  So if you want to use
the DX50, it will be via the SE or BAL line out to the SE or BAL line in of the CDM.

Hi Skooter and Audionewbi -  Many thanks! 

Cheers!

Vinnie

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #44 of 2,704

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #45 of 2,704
A
HI Mrmax

Level line out is 3.5mm , mini jack.
Ken

And where is the Balanced headphone out ? I can't see the Balanced output plug !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back