The all new Continental Dual Mono
May 25, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #1,981 of 2,704
To clarify, this happens when I first switch the unit on. Otherwise the volume is fine.

May 25, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #1,983 of 2,704
Hey Guys,

We got more 6BF7 tubes in stock, these are great tubes for the CDM. The 6BF7 gives a very thick overtly emphasized "tube" sound, rich thick and powerful. Highly recommended.

Cheers,

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jun 20, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #1,986 of 2,704
I spent a good hour testing the CDM yesterday (from my AK380). Boy, it was a blast! Compared to the CV5, the CDM has a fuller sound, with more impact in its lows. I was so impressed that I actually bought one on the spot. Might consider tube rolling in the near future, but for the time being, the stock tubes are fantastic!

Jun 20, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #1,987 of 2,704
I spent a good hour testing the CDM yesterday (from my AK380). Boy, it was a blast! Compared to the CV5, the CDM has a fuller sound, with more impact in its lows. I was so impressed that I actually bought one on the spot. Might consider tube rolling in the near future, but for the time being, the stock tubes are fantastic!

Completely agree! Not sure what to do with the CU amp anymore. ALO sells a short 2.5mm to 2.5mm TRRS cable just for this reason. There is a long DIY thread several pages back comparing some tube options that ALO doesn't sell. The cool thing is most of the tubes are really cheap at <$10 each. You just need to get the PCBs from ALO. I like the Telefunken 5719 tubes the best with Laylas.

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #1,988 of 2,704
Completely agree! Not sure what to do with the CU amp anymore. ALO sells a short 2.5mm to 2.5mm TRRS cable just for this reason. There is a long DIY thread several pages back comparing some tube options that ALO doesn't sell. The cool thing is most of the tubes are really cheap at <$10 each. You just need to get the PCBs from ALO. I like the Telefunken 5719 tubes the best with Laylas.
Yeah, one thing I like about getting a tube amp is the ability to tweak its sound via tube rolling. Gives you more bang for the buck. After all, in the CDM's case, it is a pretty expensive amp. Still, with so many available tubes on the market, I can only wonder how it'll sound with a different set of tubes. Thanks for the tip - I'll be sure to read this thread in greater depth. :)

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #1,989 of 2,704
Maybe a naive question but if going from the single ended output to the balanced ended would that have any effect on the level of noise that may be coming through on my se 846?

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #1,990 of 2,704
Maybe a naive question but if going from the single ended output to the balanced ended would that have any effect on the level of noise that may be coming through on my se 846?

Relatively speaking, the balanced out should have a lower noise floor since that is one of the benefits of a differential signal. However, in absolute terms I highly doubt there will be zero noise withe the SE846. Even with my Laylas in balanced, CDM has a very slight hiss.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #1,991 of 2,704
New owner here of the alo cdm with a touch of paranoia.

Ive only had it for about a week - is a little bit of wiggle/movement when moving the vokume knob backwards and forwards expected amd nothing to worry about? Its moving with the board inside that is.

Any handy tricks to protect this protruding knob when packed away in a back pack?

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #1,992 of 2,704
New owner here of the alo cdm with a touch of paranoia.

Ive only had it for about a week - is a little bit of wiggle/movement when moving the vokume knob backwards and forwards expected amd nothing to worry about? Its moving with the board inside that is.

Any handy tricks to protect this protruding knob when packed away in a back pack?

Define "little" I can move the volume knob with PCB about 2 mm back and forth with firm force, but it is not loose. This is generally true for most pcb mounted volume knobs that are not physically mounted on the chassis. You will see there is no locking nut connecting the volume pot to the CDM chassis. It just so happens that CDM has the glass window where you can see the pcb move.

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #1,993 of 2,704
Define "little" I can move the volume knob with PCB about 2 mm back and forth with firm force, but it is not loose. This is generally true for most pcb mounted volume knobs that are not physically mounted on the chassis. You will see there is no locking nut connecting the volume pot to the CDM chassis. It just so happens that CDM has the glass window where you can see the pcb move.
Thanks.

I guess its something like that. Theres a little but of give/movement if you push it. It doesn't move without a little but of force

I was only worried as when i first got i thought it was pretty much immovable (ie essentially rock solid) so i was worried something may have come a tad loose even inside the amp/board

Jul 7, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #1,995 of 2,704

Users who are viewing this thread

Back