The all new Continental Dual Mono
Mar 9, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #1,906 of 2,711
  Finally got around to assembling the Ratheon 6832 and burning in. I'll post some impressions soon but what is immediately noticeable is how much more heat these produce. I am using CDM in amp only mode and it feels hotter than DAC/Amp mode. Using my laser thermometer, there are spots that are over 44 deg C. This is almost 8 deg hotter than Sonotones. Speaking of which, ALO has them back in stock so I would advise any new CDM owners to buy a pair.

Impressions on the 6832 and others

Note - I only have one CDM so this is an imperfect setup and not anything close to A/B. I have to use my imperfect memory as I swap tubes. The only things that I keep constant is to listen to 12 reference tracks I know extremely well and note the volume position on the CDM to try to get a consistent listening level. I also compare a roughly the same time in the morning as hearing tends to change throughout the day.

I will keep this pretty simple and basic as the differences are noticeable but not night and day. We are talking in single percentages here. I am also using Fostex TH900 which are highly resolving with a flat, almost recessed mids, and with strong sub bass extension, but no mid bass hump. DAC is a Teac UD503 balanced out to balanced in to CDM and the TH900 are also wired for balanced. Fully balanced end to end.

Lows - Sonotones have the most sub-bass extension with tight response. The CV3986 falls just a bit short on sub bass extension and the response is a little more liquid. Telefunken 5719 are very similar to Sonotones, but a touch more liquid response. 6832 more similar to CV3986, but tight response like Sonotones.

Mids - Sonotones are fairly neutral. CV3986 brings mids a little forward and adds a touch of warmth. Telefunken 5719 are similar to CV3986, but no added warmth. 6832 are also similar to CV3986 but maybe a touch more forward mids.

Highs - Sonotones extend the most and brings highs forward. CV3986 don't extend as much as Sonotones and sound a little more laid back. Telefunken 5719 and 6832 extend more than CV3986 but less than Sonotones. They are also a little more laid back in comparison.

My listening preference is neutral with a touch 3-6 dB of added sub bass with a little sparkle on the top end. I enjoy hearing details and separation at all frequencies. With that in mind my recommendations would be:

Sonotones - if you like the stock sound of your headphones and simply want more extension on sub bass and upper treble.

CV3986 - if you feel like your headphones are too analytical and cold, I would go with these. Less fatiguing highs.

Telefunken - sort of moot since supply is extremely sporadic like Mullard 6112, but it's basically a slightly warmer version of Sonotones.

6832 - I would rate this as the most versatile of all. It takes the best characteristics of the above, but just a little less of it. If you are a perfectionist, then definitely avoid LOL. I never listened to the stock tubes and don't even know where I placed them, but I'm guessing these are the least different to stock. I don't mean this in a negative way, but based on what others have noted on stock, I think these would be stock + a little extra while the others have more unique characteristics.

I hope to eventually get some Mullard 6112 as I think those would go best with my TH900, but that's probably more to do with my OCD than really any meaningful difference. For now, I am deciding between the Telefunken and 6832. Really wish I could combine those 2 LOL.

I don't see all of these available on the alo website.  Cool to see how reasonably priced all the accessories are though: $20 battery pack, most tubes in the $20-$70 range.  Very nice.

I will be getting the Empire Ears Zeus XRA soon, it's a neutralish monitor that many report eq'ing for more sub bass slam.  It has plenty of sparkle already.  I have the stock tubes now, I'm guessing the sonotones are what I need.  I love detail and my signature taste are pretty much in line with yours.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #1,907 of 2,711

I don't see all of these available on the alo website.  Cool to see how reasonably priced all the accessories are though: $20 battery pack, most tubes in the $20-$70 range.  Very nice.

I will be getting the Empire Ears Zeus XRA soon, it's a neutralish monitor that many report eq'ing for more sub bass slam.  It has plenty of sparkle already.  I have the stock tubes now, I'm guessing the sonotones are what I need.  I love detail and my signature taste are pretty much in line with yours.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, your tube rolling possibilities go up orders of magnitude. Look on eBay for the bare tubes and you can order the PCB adapters for $20 per pair. I could have purchased the 6832 from ALO, but those tubes are pretty cheap - like $10 per pair so I just made my own. Plead do remember that the PCBs are different for single versus dual triodes and the singles have a left and right fit as well. The single triode PCB is marked clearly, but there is no key to the socket and you can connect a L PCB to a R connect and watch your tube go poof.

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #1,908 of 2,711
Hey all, I'm interested in getting a CDM, but I'm wondering if ALO has a new model in the works? I tried searching for this, but I couldn't find any information (which is probably a good thing). The CV5 isn't exactly a successor, so I'm a little hesitant to get the CDM if a version 2 is right around the corner. Any rumours about this?

Thanks in advance! 
smile.gif

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #1,909 of 2,711
  Hey all, I'm interested in getting a CDM, but I'm wondering if ALO has a new model in the works? I tried searching for this, but I couldn't find any information (which is probably a good thing). The CV5 isn't exactly a successor, so I'm a little hesitant to get the CDM if a version 2 is right around the corner. Any rumours about this?

Thanks in advance! 
smile.gif

Based on recent history and pure speculation:

The earliest ALO would announce a new model would be at LA CanJam in April 2017. After that it would be a 3-9 month wait until you could purchase. You also risk some early adopter pains (build quality, DAC software driver etc.) that could lead to another 3-6 months after purchase to fully resolve.

However, as you mentioned there are absolutely zero rumors or indications that a new model is coming. At the current price, the CDM isn't exactly a high volume seller. It also doesn't have any glaring flaws so I can't see ALO spending the time and R&D dollars for a newer version instead of focusing on new products.

Of all of the audio things I've owned, the CDM is the one I least worry about a newer version coming out. But I also don't use the DAC section very much and that is most likely the one aspect of CDM that ALO would considering upgrading.

There is only one thing that is currently "broken" on CDM. Nobody has been able to get DSD over DoP to work with iOS.

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #1,910 of 2,711

If you're handy with a soldering iron, your tube rolling possibilities go up orders of magnitude. Look on eBay for the bare tubes and you can order the PCB adapters for $20 per pair. I could have purchased the 6832 from ALO, but those tubes are pretty cheap - like $10 per pair so I just made my own. Plead do remember that the PCBs are different for single versus dual triodes and the singles have a left and right fit as well. The single triode PCB is marked clearly, but there is no key to the socket and you can connect a L PCB to a R connect and watch your tube go poof.

I appreciate the input but I'll stick with what ALO offers, I don't want to be sodering my CDM(my baby).  I'd be an amateur at best and $1500 Amps are not something to learn on.

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #1,911 of 2,711

Thanks in advance! 
smile.gif

CDM is spectacular, you will not be disappointed or left wanting IMO.

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #1,912 of 2,711
Based on recent history and pure speculation:

The earliest ALO would announce a new model would be at LA CanJam in April 2017. After that it would be a 3-9 month wait until you could purchase. You also risk some early adopter pains (build quality, DAC software driver etc.) that could lead to another 3-6 months after purchase to fully resolve.

However, as you mentioned there are absolutely zero rumors or indications that a new model is coming. At the current price, the CDM isn't exactly a high volume seller. It also doesn't have any glaring flaws so I can't see ALO spending the time and R&D dollars for a newer version instead of focusing on new products.

Of all of the audio things I've owned, the CDM is the one I least worry about a newer version coming out. But I also don't use the DAC section very much and that is most likely the one aspect of CDM that ALO would considering upgrading.

There is only one thing that is currently "broken" on CDM. Nobody has been able to get DSD over DoP to work with iOS.

Thank you, that was helpful.

Like you, I don't fancy its DAC section at all, and I intend to utilise the CDM solely as a portable (or transportable) amp. I love its sound, but I'm just afraid that ALO has a new flagship in the works. I don't exactly want to spend this much money on a product when a successor is just around the corner.

Still, for what it is, the CDM is a magnificent amp, and a new model doesn't actually debase its qualities in any way. I might actually go for it; however, before doing so, a comparison with the CV5 is a must. Time to head down to my local store, but I'll keep my credit cards at home, for now. 
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #1,913 of 2,711

CDM is spectacular, you will not be disappointed or left wanting IMO.

I agree. Purely as an amp, the CDM is fantastic. I'm a huge fan of ALO's products, and I find the CDM head and shoulders above most of its competition.

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #1,914 of 2,711
I might actually go for it; however, before doing so, a comparison with the CV5 is a must. Time to head down to my local store, but I'll keep my credit cards at home, for now. :wink:

You might have found the right answer to your doubts already... and with just two letters and one digit! The CV5 is a great amp!
If an integrated DAC and a balanced output are not in your list of essential requirements, the CV5 could actually fit the bill quite nicely, if not perfectly!

You may wish to head over to the CV5 thread here on Head-Fi, where you will also find some comparisons between the Continental Dual Mono and the Continental V5 - amp wise.
I own a CV5 and could not be any happier, but I'm sure I'd be equally happy with a CDM. :wink:

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #1,916 of 2,711
  Does anyone have a frequency response graph for the CDM?  I want to see what I'm hearing.

I don't have one, but like most good amps, it will likely be pretty much ruler flat. That extra "it" that you hear is more likely due to the unique nature of harmonic distortion from the tubes. A THD graph at around 32 ohms should reveal that.

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #1,917 of 2,711
Here are some measurements on the CDM. Note the measured THD and IMD are poor, but tubes tend to produce more 2nd order distortions which are in full octave increments from the base frequency, thus giving a more rich tone. Obviously too much is not a good thing, but in terms of pure numbers, tube amps will generally result in higher amounts of distortion than solid state. The frequency response is pretty flat. It may look like there is some roll off, but the scale on the chart is very small.

I've always felt that CDM was a good solid state amp with just a "touch" of tube added as described in ALO's own description. I call it best of both worlds while purest say neither fully tube nor fully solid state. You definitely don't want to start a tube versus solid state thread.

http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-alo-cdm-16-24-bit-loaded-unloaded

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #1,918 of 2,711
  Here are some measurements on the CDM. Note the measured THD and IMD are poor, but tubes tend to produce more 2nd order distortions which are in full octave increments from the base frequency, thus giving a more rich tone. Obviously too much is not a good thing, but in terms of pure numbers, tube amps will generally result in higher amounts of distortion than solid state. The frequency response is pretty flat. It may look like there is some roll off, but the scale on the chart is very small.

I've always felt that CDM was a good solid state amp with just a "touch" of tube added as described in ALO's own description. I call it best of both worlds while purest say neither fully tube nor fully solid state. You definitely don't want to start a tube versus solid state thread.

http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-alo-cdm-16-24-bit-loaded-unloaded

Right because that's settled, tubes are better. 
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #1,919 of 2,711
I asked this in the Mojo thread and they pointed me back here.  The Mojo isn't capable of balanced out.  If I run the Mojo SE line out into the CDM and use the CDM balanced output is it truly balanced since the incoming signal from Mojo wasn't?

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #1,920 of 2,711
  I asked this in the Mojo thread and they pointed me back here.  The Mojo isn't capable of balanced out.  If I run the Mojo SE line out into the CDM and use the CDM balanced output is it truly balanced since the incoming signal from Mojo wasn't?

You will still get balanced output. There is nothing wrong with using the SE input and Mojo measures as well if not better than a lot of balanced DACs. Whether this is "true" balanced or not is only semantics. Give it a try. IMHO, I find the Mojo/CDM combo just ok compared to the built in DAC. Mojo will give more resolution and mid bass warmth so it's more of a matter of personal taste and the tuning of your headphones.

If you are thinking about an external DAC in the Mojo price range, I would recommend the Teac UD-503 which is balanced thru and thru. It's desktop only though and really heavy since it has separate digital and analog power supplies. I think street price now is about $799.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back