the album that's always there for you
Jan 8, 2010 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 125

etiolate

100+ Head-Fier
so, i'm having one of those weeks where i scroll through all my music and nothing is really jumping out at me. i hate these weeks... nothing seems to grab my attention to want to be listened. i was flipping through my stack of most listened to cds, unable to find one i wanted to listen to. then up came the flaming lips, "yoshimi fights the pink robots." it was then that i realized that this album is always here for me when no other albums seem to be satisfying. it's my fall-back album. always takes me away in the music.

so, what album can you always rely on when no other music seems entertaining? (ONLY ONE ALBUM! i know it's hard.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 125
through all the years since it came out, Stadium Arcadium by the Red Hot Chili Peppers has always been there for me, and when i do its all 28 beautiful tracks in a row everytime
smily_headphones1.gif
actually...i dont have it with me at work right now, but when i get home im gonna listen to it

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 125
When that happens to me, I just look through the threads where Head-fiers post what they are listening to or what they're favorites are (like this one), and I usually find something that relates to a part of my collection that I am neglecting.

Right now for example, I am listening to "Michael Hedges - Oracle" because I haven't for awhile, and someone else mentioned him.

And sometimes it makes me get a new (used) CD...

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #6 of 125
Yoshimi always works for me, too.
smily_headphones1.gif
So does your avatar (In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, by Neutral Milk Hotel for those who don't recognize it).

In the same vein, Olivia Tremor Control's Dusk at Cubist Castle always works for me as does the Kinks' Village Green Preservation Society. Give those a listen if you haven't already. I think you would love them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #7 of 125
Only one ?

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #8 of 125
Abbey Road ......................The Beatles were at the end of the road .........this album is there for you when you are at the end of the road.

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #9 of 125
thanks uncle erik, i'll give those a try (wow, that sentence is weird... makes me feel like i'm talking to a superior kinsman).

+1 to redcarmoose. it's my favorite beatles album.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #10 of 125
I have a few albums I end up turning to depending on my mood.

Being forced to pick one, I would probably go with Eric Clapton's From the Cradle, lots of my favorite blues classics on there redone, in much better quality, with Clapton.

There were a few runner ups from Toumani Diabate and Frank Zappa.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 125
It seems to me that even though I try as I might to expand my music library, I always fall back to Pink Floyd. They made five brilliant albums in a row from Meddle to The Wall. Of those, Meddle is the album I continue to reach for. Echoes just has a unique way of transporting me to another place.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #12 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems to me that even though I try as I might to expand my music library, I always fall back to Pink Floyd. They made five brilliant albums in a row from Meddle to The Wall. Of those, Meddle is the album I continue to reach for. Echoes just has a unique way of transporting me to another place.

Agreed, pink floyd from an early age (because of my father) has influenced my music tastes. Although, I am more of a Rogers guy rather than Gilmour. However, I find radiohead to fit the role as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #14 of 125
And I was coming to suggest "Obscured by Clouds" as a fall-back album. It's so beautiful and easy to listen to.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #15 of 125
The Lowest of the Low - Hallucigenia

It's the only album I liked in high school to which I still listen regularly, 15 years later. Good hooky hard rock with some of the smartest lyrics ever to be recorded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back