The alarming amount of newbies who's only requirment is bass.
Jun 30, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #121 of 139
bass is fun.
great highs are beautiful.
mids rock.

people have different tastes.  and kids have been building ridiculous car stereo subwoofers since before i can remember.

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #122 of 139
i used to have 2 18'' & 2 8'' in a GEO TRACKTOR -YELLOW. when i was 19. LOL

Ill get a system in the future if i get money.

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #123 of 139
Its the coolest/most fun frequency in my opinion. Hifi aside any pair of headphones can produce highs and mids. All headphones/speakers cant produce bass, and its the one frequency that you can feel and hear at the same time. Its the reason I got into hifi this past year.

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #124 of 139
For all day listening (to drown out the people at work) bass is king. Much less fatiguing - I find that AKG701's and even my ath700's start to wear after a couple of hours.

And with reference to the OP, at least we've got newbies on the forum. Most people who are into music are willing to listen (sic) and occasionally learn from more experienced heads. What someone ends up preferring is a matter of personal taste.

Bring on the newbies, I say!

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #125 of 139
I remember the first time I switched from ibuds to some cheap phillips headphones. The bass was amazing because I never heard the bass through ibuds. From non existent bass to muddy but present bass was a much bigger change than any improvement to the mids or highs. Later I came to pay more attention to the mids and highs. I'm new to all this. I love my 2 week old grados (thanks to the recommendation thread!). But I doubt if everyone gets past the bass loving stage if they don't want to try out new headphones.

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #126 of 139

Jul 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #127 of 139

Jul 2, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #128 of 139
I'm not a basshead at all and the main music I listen to with headphones is classical music...but still I always end up with rather full bodied, bass heavy headphones and speakers.
After the Audio Technica A500s I got the D5000s and I never regretted it.
In my opinion - and I am one of very few - classical music fares very well with a solid bass.
The biggest gripe I have with headphones that are supposed to work best with classical music, like the AKG 701 and Audio Technica W5000 is the sheer lack of bass.
I like my Bach, Mozart and even more dense music like Mahler and Bartok big, full-blooded and bodied, just like the old days when I listened to analogue LP and cassette.
I prefer round over tight, I prefer slow and relaxed over speed and I prefer cohesion over extreme detail.
Yep, I definitely am not an audio purist and audiophile, but not out of ignorance or lack of experience but out of preference, I just know what I like.

Jul 2, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #129 of 139

Quote:
I'm not a basshead at all and the main music I listen to with headphones is classical music...but still I always end up with rather full bodied, bass heavy headphones and speakers.
After the Audio Technica A500s I got the D5000s and I never regretted it.
In my opinion - and I am one of very few - classical music fares very well with a solid bass.
The biggest gripe I have with headphones that are supposed to work best with classical music, like the AKG 701 and Audio Technica W5000 is the sheer lack of bass.
I like my Bach, Mozart and even more dense music like Mahler and Bartok big, full-blooded and bodied, just like the old days when I listened to analogue LP and cassette.
I prefer round over tight and slow, relaxed over speed and cohesion over extreme detail.
Yep, I definitely am not an audio purist and audiophile, but not out of ignorance or lack of experience but out of preference, I just know what I like.

i listen to a lot of bass heavy music and consider myself a basshead and an audiophile 
beyersmile.png

When i want to listen to classical music, i dont want bass really, i would opt for a akg 701 over a denon.  

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #130 of 139
You know, from the look of that Nicky Minaj cover, I think they wanted to call it Super Ass and changed it to Bass in the last minute.

Jul 3, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #132 of 139
you cant spell bass without ass

(make up your own interpretation)

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #134 of 139

Quote:
There's this man in his 50's at the graveyard that wanted more bass (cuz he seems to love bass) into his tractor he uses at work so he installed one of those compact subwoofer/amp combo into the roof of it so he drives around with his subwoofer just above his head all day. So dunno about that LOL. Even I wouldn't think of doing such things if I were him. Man did I laugh the first time I saw it, it plays very well for the price too but seriously a guy over 50 doing something like that at work, he really must be a basshead LMAO

I work at Caterpillar, and the tractors with cabs comes with speakers in the roof(two Blaupunkt ~4" in the E-series Backhoe Loaders).  Though, you have to supply the head unit which is also mounted overhead.

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #135 of 139
Its been a long time since I felt anything resembling 'alarm' re Head-Fiers craving bass above any other single priority - its like saying that dogs chase cats. Not all dogs will chase cats, and some couldnt give a hoot about cats, but 90% of them will ...... the difference is that a dog wouldnt log onto an internet forum and begin their first post with :

I'm not a cat chaser, but does anyone know where cats hang out ? And where I might be able to get some running shoes ?

I cant recall which board member has the sig, but it goes something like this : newbie audiophiles crave bass, intermediate audiophiles crave treble but veteran audiophiles know that the music lives in the mids.  I'm not an audiophile (honest - I was just holding it for a friend !), but that statement rings true for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back