The alarming amount of newbies who's only requirment is bass.
Jul 4, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #136 of 139

Quote:
Its been a long time since I felt anything resembling 'alarm' re Head-Fiers craving bass above any other single priority - its like saying that dogs chase cats. Not all dogs will chase cats, and some couldnt give a hoot about cats, but 90% of them will ...... the difference is that a dog wouldnt log onto an internet forum and begin their first post with :

I'm not a cat chaser, but does anyone know where cats hang out ? And where I might be able to get some running shoes ?

I cant recall which board member has the sig, but it goes something like this : newbie audiophiles crave bass, intermediate audiophiles crave treble but veteran audiophiles know that the music lives in the mids.  I'm not an audiophile (honest - I was just holding it for a friend !), but that statement rings true for me.

which part of the mids

http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/frequency-response-of-headphones

Jul 4, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #137 of 139
IMHO, it's quite normal for people to start out looking for better sound by looking for bass quantity (maybe a little quality too) because that's the first thing you won't fin in most mainstream systems of any sort.* Now if you start looking for bass in recording where there isn't any - be it music or movies - then there's the problem. I mean, come on, if a guy listens to 50cent as opposed to Feist, and watches Michael Bay over Roman Polanski, they should also listen to their stuff the way they're best enjoyed, right? Then again, my old Hi-Fi speaker system never had a sub, and even with action flicks I was happy enough with just the 2.0 channel system (bass was enough and I preferred spending on audio gear than surround systems anyway). Some aren't just looking for the bass they're missing; they''re just looking for too much bass. Check any guy with Dre Beats and if he has a car, you can bet you can hear that thing from a couple of blocks away, but from five blocks away you can hear the bass already.

*1) your music player + craptastic earphones
 2) most cars since they don't usually come with a sub and even Mitsus with Rockford Fosgate can't beat the neighbor's Montero with zero luggage space blasting away with large magnet, long-throw surround RF's
 3) 2.0 speakers on PCs and plain TVs - flat panel or not - and even some on-shelf audio systems all sound lame next to what you'd hear in a THX cinema. Even the all-in-one HT systems packaged free with flat panels have lame bass next to a theatre.

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #138 of 139

Quote:
I work at Caterpillar, and the tractors with cabs comes with speakers in the roof(two Blaupunkt ~4" in the E-series Backhoe Loaders).  Though, you have to supply the head unit which is also mounted overhead.

Yea well that's only 4" speakers, wouldn't call that subwoofers really. The 50+ yo guy I was talking about put some 8" (I think, well 6.25" ~ 8" sth like that) compact subwoofer in his tractor at work. Here's a pic I took back then with my crappy phone cam:

I think it already had 4" or so speakers in it for the treble part.

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #139 of 139
I wasn't saying they're subwoofers, just saying tractors already come with sound.  Though, the harmonics in the cabs are terrible.  I've seen some custom rigs that UPS drivers put together but they have plenty of room to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back