The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 29, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #4,501 of 4,580
Mar 29, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #4,502 of 4,580
I went from a 10K to a Fiio A5 and a Mayflower O2 and now to a Lyr 2. The leap in quality for the 7XX to the Lyr 2 was pretty substantial. At over $400 it's outside your budget but if you can do that it's worth considering. I didn't get the same kind of improvement from the intermediate steps so it may be cheaper in the long run to just save up for a Lyr 2 or 3. None of my other headphones had that kind of leap like the 7XX did.

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #4,503 of 4,580
What would be the best way to upgrade for me?
My current setup is k7xx with e10k. Was reading about e10k upgrades and some other people on this forum suggested getting a tube amp? What else could I do? Assuming I'm planning on spending around $200
I'd consider two options with tubes around your budget. First, the Schiit Vali 2, and although it's expensive, take a look at the Massdrop CTH

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #4,504 of 4,580

seems like a good choice after watching some youtube reviews. The only problem I see though is the interference (z review)?

I went from a 10K to a Fiio A5 and a Mayflower O2 and now to a Lyr 2. The leap in quality for the 7XX to the Lyr 2 was pretty substantial. At over $400 it's outside your budget but if you can do that it's worth considering. I didn't get the same kind of improvement from the intermediate steps so it may be cheaper in the long run to just save up for a Lyr 2 or 3. None of my other headphones had that kind of leap like the 7XX did.

how would you describe the huge improvement? (not that I will know, but Im a bit worry that I might not notice any difference) Looking from other suggestions, it is really true that saving up for a higher priced does more benefits...guess I'll need to save up even more money

I'd consider two options with tubes around your budget. First, the Schiit Vali 2, and although it's expensive, take a look at the Massdrop CTH

for massdrop, you mean the Alex Cavalli tube hybrid amp?

there are so many to choose from that I'm getting even more confused lol

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #4,505 of 4,580
seems like a good choice after watching some youtube reviews. The only problem I see though is the interference (z review)?

how would you describe the huge improvement? (not that I will know, but Im a bit worry that I might not notice any difference) Looking from other suggestions, it is really true that saving up for a higher priced does more benefits...guess I'll need to save up even more money

I started out with a Vali 2 and K7XX and still have both two years later. The Vali 2 is a very good match for the headphone. I mostly use my Jotunheim for everything now though, the K7XX really likes the power, but Vali 2 is still a tube amp and different enough to keep. Although, I would like to sell it and get a Lyr 3.

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #4,506 of 4,580

While there is a difference to me between my Fiio X3ii, Teac UD-301 headphone jack, Ember, Lyr2 and BH Crack the differences are not something that all will notice. To me the differences are easy to notice but to some friends they can't tell any difference so I have a feeling you will / might be disappointed if you are expecting a "huge" improvement but who knows you might be able to easily hear the differences between amps and feel its worthwhile purchase.
Another thing to consider is that for $200 you could also get another headphone like HD6XX, HD58X, SR-225e, HE400i or others which might give you a good complimentary headphone to the K7XX.

Mar 30, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #4,507 of 4,580
Question 2: Can O2 drive K7XX? If O2 can't drive K7XX which one do you prefer?
I own both the Massdrop O2 (1x/3.5x version) and the K7XXs.
Using desktop DACs and playing traditionally compressed music, I do not feel the need to adjust the gain to 3.5x for the K7XXs. If you're worry about quiet, dynamic tracks, I'm sure there is plenty of headroom available in the 3.5x gain.

Mar 30, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #4,508 of 4,580

Yes! That Is a good amp. Although Vali 2 stays within your budget

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #4,509 of 4,580
Yes! That Is a good amp. Although Vali 2 stays within your budget

guess I will research a bit more and see which one I want to try out. Right now, I'm curious why can't schiit make their stuff works with 110v to 220v, instead we have to choose? I travel between two countries that has different voltage which really helps if I carry one less adapter lol

Apr 3, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #4,510 of 4,580
guess I will research a bit more and see which one I want to try out. Right now, I'm curious why can't schiit make their stuff works with 110v to 220v, instead we have to choose? I travel between two countries that has different voltage which really helps if I carry one less adapter lol
As an American living in Germany I think about this a lot.

Apr 4, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #4,512 of 4,580
I have a Project Ember with you can change the output impedance from 0.1 to 35 to 120 ohms and I also have a BH Crack with a estimated output impedance of 75-85 ohms. With the Ember changing the output impedance from 0.1 to 35 changes the bass and highs, the bass becomes slightly less clean and the highs are not as extended but appear smoother to me. Going to the 120ohm setting the bass starts to get muddy and the highs appear even more rolled off. With the Bh Crack to sound is quite good but again if I compare it to my Lyr2 or UD-301 the overall sound is not as crisp and clean but some will love the overall warmer relaxed tone and makes long listening sessions easy to handle.

Hi @DavidA I'm curious which output impedance setting on the Ember do you prefer with the AKG K7XX?

Apr 4, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #4,513 of 4,580
Hi @DavidA I'm curious which output impedance setting on the Ember do you prefer with the AKG K7XX?
It usually is set on the low or medium setting but seems to also depend on the tube that is being used but lately I don't use the K7XX much since it creaks almost every time I move my head which gets a little irritating at times. I also brought my modded SRD-34 in from the lanai to the living room so its taking up a lot more head time these days along with Ypislon R1 and Nhoord Red V2 since I don't have to turn on any amps.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #4,514 of 4,580
I sold my Vali 2 last weekend and decided to use the funds for the AKG K7XX drop this morning. I just received a shipping notice so I should have them later this week or early next week. "Listening forward" to them on my rigs.
But what will you use to drive the k7xx? The Vali2 would have been good for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back