The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 30, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #3,691 of 4,580
  Well, I do think that "simple Canare, Mogami or Cardas cables" let more music thru than the akg included cables.

I should clarify that I didn't notice any difference in sound between most stock cables and those that I built.  There are exceptions and one was the stock cable of my old ATH-M30, I did the removable cable mod and there was a slight difference in sound with the new cable, just slightly better dynamics, not easily noticeable but confirmed by my GF and her friends after I wired up the old stock M30 cable with a 3.5mm plug just to test.

Mar 30, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #3,692 of 4,580
  Thanks for your answer. :) So you haven't tried the Fidelio X2's? Do you think they could actually "grow on me"? Liek you say, break in?

They just makes my head hurt, while at the same time making me think "This sounds fantastic" I just don't like my head hurting. ^^

But if these don't make "my head hurt" and sound just as fantastic. I'm gonna be happy with ordering them. But I think the big bass however is the issue, nomather how good it sounds. So perhaps I should just stick with the basic K702's? Do you know if they sound kind of the same as the Hd 555's modded? The HD 555's modded should sound around the same as the HD 595's and HD 598's in sound signature. I like these without too much base as well, since the sounds are super detailed, and the bass don't make my head hurt. Guess my head just not good with heavy bass.

I had the X2 for a few weeks before returning them since they were similar in sound to the X1 that I have, the X2 is better but the improvements were not a big enough difference to make me want to keep them.  Also had HD-598's and the K7XX is quite a bit better in almost every way.  While the bass is boosted I think it gives the K7XX a better balanced sound but the mids are still slightly recessed for what I like.

The K7XX is quite comfortable, the clamping force is on the lighter side so it should not put much pressure on the side of your head like the HD-600/650 can when they are new.

Mar 30, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #3,694 of 4,580
I imagine the first editions were only from the first drop. Otherwise they wouldn't really be first editions.

I think if you read back in the thread there were 3 drops of the "first editions" which totaled 5,000 or 6000 units IIRC.  After that they changed to "limited edition"

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #3,701 of 4,580
Mar 31, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #3,702 of 4,580
Zeos isn't the be all end all. On the contrary, he frequently goes against the gain
wink.gif
. Most people who've owned both will say the opposite, that the K7XX has less bass and a wider soundstage than the Fidelio X2.

Totally, not sure how Zeos hears that, soundstage is wider on K7XX to me too. Seeing his taste in music I don't really take his reviews too seriously.

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #3,703 of 4,580

Totally, not sure how Zeos hears that, soundstage is wider on K7XX to me too. Seeing his taste in music I don't really take his reviews too seriously.

Zeos isn't the be all end all. On the contrary, he frequently goes against the gain
wink.gif
. Most people who've owned both will say the opposite, that the K7XX has less bass and a wider soundstage than the Fidelio X2.

My impression is same as both of you: K7XX soundstage is wider than the X2, also less bass

Mar 31, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #3,704 of 4,580
Thanks guys on the feedback. I now got my Fidelio X2's to sound better (to my taste) Using Equalizer APO. The program is kind of screwed, sometimes the settings won't update etc. Really getting me annoyed. ^^ But really glas I now like the sound of my Fidelio X2's.

Compared to K7XX and the DT 880's, how do you think the X2's will compare, durability (How long they will last before breaking) :) I saw someone where the screws came off on the Fidelio X2. But alot of metal = durability?? D: DT 880 is german made, so they will last long? :)

Thanks for any help regarding this. :)

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #3,705 of 4,580
Z Review wrote in his recommendations that these headphones have more bas then the Fidelio X2's?

That's hard to understand how one could hear that. To me, K7XX has the better soundstage, X2 definitively has more bass, by quite a margin. A friend and me pitched them against each other. We both agreed.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back