The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 18, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #3,421 of 4,580
Is there any real reason to go from a DT 880 600ohm to these headphones? My biggest issue with my BT's is that they are uncomfortable after being on my ears for extended periods of time (1-2 hours). I also want headphones for gaming and all the review say the soundstage isnt very good for gaming.

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #3,422 of 4,580
  Is there any real reason to go from a DT 880 600ohm to these headphones? My biggest issue with my BT's is that they are uncomfortable after being on my ears for extended periods of time (1-2 hours). I also want headphones for gaming and all the review say the soundstage isnt very good for gaming.

Reviews say the K7xx doesn't have a good sound stage?  Or are you referring to the DT 880?  Because the AKG K7 series headphones and Q701 probably have the biggest sound stage in headphones for under $500.  My K7xx certainly has a considerably larger sound stage in every dimension than my DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm.

If the DT 880 600 Ohm isn't comfortable to you then I would imagine no headphones would be comfortable to you except maybe the Stax SR-007/SR-009, HiFiMan HE-560 and HE-400i and maybe HE1000, and/or Sennheiser HD 800.  

The K7xx is a bit lighter (235g vs 290g according to specs), has larger circumference and deeper pads that aren't quite as soft as DT 880 pads but soft enough, and the DT 880s have a solid but heavily padded headband while the K7xx has a suspension headband (offloads weight) with a leather strap (which I can feel after a few hours of use, unlike my DT 880 Pro which has a tighter clamp than your 600 Ohm one).

Assuming the DT 880 600 Ohm has a very similar sound stage to the Pro 250 Ohm model, the K7xx will be a noticeable improvement for gaming but mostly a sidegrade elsewhere.  I wrote my thoughts about K7xx vs DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm here if interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k7xx/reviews/14452

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #3,423 of 4,580

Reviews say the K7xx doesn't have a good sound stage?  Or are you referring to the DT 880?  Because the AKG K7 series headphones and Q701 probably have the biggest sound stage in headphones for under $500.  My K7xx certainly has a considerably larger sound stage in every dimension than my DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm.

A. Yes I was referring to the DT 880

If the DT 880 600 Ohm isn't comfortable to you then I would imagine no headphones would be comfortable to you except maybe the Stax SR-007/SR-009, HiFiMan HE-560 and HE-400i and maybe HE1000, and/or Sennheiser HD 800.  

A. Whats not comfortable is just on my ears.. after extended time periods they feel really heavy and weighed down and once I take them off my ears feel much better (this might be a common thing this is the only nice pair of cans ive ever had)

The K7xx is a bit lighter (235g vs 290g according to specs), has larger circumference and deeper pads that aren't quite as soft as DT 880 pads but soft enough, and the DT 880s have a solid but heavily padded headband while the K7xx has a suspension headband (offloads weight) with a leather strap (which I can feel after a few hours of use, unlike my DT 880 Pro which has a tighter clamp than your 600 Ohm one).

Assuming the DT 880 600 Ohm has a very similar sound stage to the Pro 250 Ohm model, the K7xx will be a noticeable improvement for gaming but mostly a sidegrade elsewhere.  I wrote my thoughts about K7xx vs DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm here if interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k7xx/reviews/14452

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #3,425 of 4,580
If the DT880's uncomfortable for you, how do you sleep on your pillow at night?
Haha, just joking.

The DT880's and the K7xx have different sound signatures, the former is a lot more detailed, crisp and precise with a massive soundstage, the latter is much more 'fun', punchy and involved.

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #3,426 of 4,580
  If the DT880's uncomfortable for you, how do you sleep on your pillow at night?
Haha, just joking.

The DT880's and the K7xx have different sound signatures, the former is a lot more detailed, crisp and precise with a massive soundstage, the latter is much more 'fun', punchy and involved.

"Fun" indicates V-shaped which the K7xx isn't.  The DT 880 is very neutral but the K7xx is not far from neutral either, and I wouldn't call it more "punchy" since as far as bass impact goes I have a tiny bit more on the DT 880 (but a bit more overall bass presence with the K7xx, vocals are deeper for example).  Also for me the K7xx reveals details that the DT 880 cannot, and never vice versa.

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #3,427 of 4,580

"Fun" indicates V-shaped which the K7xx isn't.  The DT 880 is very neutral but the K7xx is not far from neutral either, and I wouldn't call it more "punchy" since as far as bass impact goes I have a tiny bit more on the DT 880 (but a bit more overall bass presence with the K7xx, vocals are deeper for example).  Also for me the K7xx reveals details that the DT 880 cannot, and never vice versa.

Your definition of fun doesn't match mine. I must be getting old. V-shaped signatures have never been fun for me. My 'fun' is a more in-your-face, slightly shouty and involved signature.
I apologise as my qualitative audio language is not up to par as I'm more used to processing with numbers in the frequency and time domain, which don't mean much to some people here.

Which DT880 are you using and with what amp to get those results? There is a factor of 10 difference in impedance between these cans, so amps may vary the signature quite a bit. I use a simple Schiit Asgard (original) from an RME ADI-2 from an Antelope Orion 32. 

With my DT880 I'm able to pick apart and separate with ease, everything is controlled and precise. I record on these for this very reason.
In my head, the K7xx is one big cohesive, musical picture. I use these to check that my masters are expressing what I want it to.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #3,428 of 4,580

Your definition of fun doesn't match mine. I must be getting old. V-shaped signatures have never been fun for me. My 'fun' is a more in-your-face, slightly shouty and involved signature.
I apologise as my qualitative audio language is not up to par as I'm more used to processing with numbers in the frequency and time domain, which don't mean much to some people here.

Which DT880 are you using and with what amp to get those results? There is a factor of 10 difference in impedance between these cans, so amps may vary the signature quite a bit. I use a simple Schiit Asgard (original) from an RME ADI-2 from an Antelope Orion 32. 

With my DT880 I'm able to pick apart and separate with ease, everything is controlled and precise. I record on these for this very reason.
In my head, the K7xx is one big cohesive, musical picture. I use these to check that my masters are expressing what I want it to.

I have the DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm.  Source is a Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 which is both the amp and DAC (opamps have been upgraded improving performance slightly), which is fed through a Gustard U12 which also helps.  So there definitely are many variables at play here.  Instrument separation is usually equal to my ears, except in very few specific scenarios where the DT 880 is better (I wrote about it in my K7xx review/comparison here on Head-Fi, can't remember the scenarios exactly).

Jan 23, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #3,429 of 4,580
thank you very much for confirming this.

I have a pair of the old first editions as well as a more recent pair with special edition markings. The "special editions" are better put together and feel like they were built with tighter tolerances. The "first editions" creak in the ear cups where the plastic meets the joint. Nothing broken, just that creaking plastic on plastic sound.

They sound essentially the same though. The ones at home are connected to a m9xx and the ones at work to a vali/modi2 stack. I've switched hem between amps and even connected both the the m9xx so I could quickly compare. No difference as far as I noticed.

Jan 23, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #3,430 of 4,580
I have a pair of the old first editions as well as a more recent pair with special edition markings. The "special editions" are better put together and feel like they were built with tighter tolerances. The "first editions" creak in the ear cups where the plastic meets the joint. Nothing broken, just that creaking plastic on plastic sound.

They sound essentially the same though. The ones at home are connected to a m9xx and the ones at work to a vali/modi2 stack. I've switched hem between amps and even connected both the the m9xx so I could quickly compare. No difference as far as I noticed.

Im glad i didnt jumped on the first editions.

Jan 23, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #3,431 of 4,580

Mine says "limited editions" instead of "special editions". So, we might have 3 versions of this headphone from Massdrop. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #3,434 of 4,580
The original color scheme of the 598 look more special edition than the black one. Senns should made the first ones black then release the special editions the original color.

+1

Don't know how the plain black version is a special edition? They could've followed current trends and called them the "Black Edition." I have the original 598 and like how they look different and more premium than my other headphones. At least the SE comes with a shorter cable; had to to buy one off ebay for mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back