The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 14, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #3,407 of 4,580
btw is the headband on the k7xx genuine leather?
not that the headband material is going affect my decision to purchase it or not.
i am a pretty much a headphone collector so yea and have a habit of switching between headphones a lot during my sessions.
but i still wanted to be sure of the k7xx quality. especially its build.
if its not any different from the old k701 then no worries.

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #3,408 of 4,580
not that the headband material is going affect my decision to purchase it or not.
i am a pretty much a headphone collector so yea and have a habit of switching between headphones a lot during my sessions.

I took a look at mine, it is hard to tell. But, if it is not genuine leather, then it is a quality imitation 

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #3,409 of 4,580

I would think if Massdrop goes out of their way to say it's genuine leather then it's genuine leather.  Seems like it to me.  The rest of the build quality aside from that headband and the pads is really cheap though, like what I would expect from a $60 headphone.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #3,410 of 4,580

1) It is.
2) Build quality is good enough, at least for all 4 copies I bought for myself and 3 people in my office from the previous drop. I have 701 and 702-anni, and for me they're not that much differ in build quality. I'm not saying they are the same quality. My 7XX feels inferior in build to 702-anni, but not by much to the point that I would call it off. Slight inconsistencies exist between all 4 copies though not to the point where I would call it a big deal.

Note that this is subjective and other people could well disagree with me. Also, inconsistency in build quality might be actually larger than I thought.

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #3,411 of 4,580

1) It is.
2) Build quality is good enough, at least for all 4 copies I bought for myself and 3 people in my office from the previous drop. I have 701 and 702-anni, and for me they're not that much differ in build quality. I'm not saying they are the same quality. My 7XX feels inferior in build to 702-anni, but not by much to the point that I would call it off. to Slight inconsistencies exist between all 4 copies though not to the point where I would call it a big deal.

Note that this is subjective and other people could well disagree with me. Also, inconsistency in build quality might be actually larger than I thought.

thank you very much for confirming this.

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #3,412 of 4,580
I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my k7xx's...

Gear Info: DAC/AMP portion I'm using is the Grace m9xx. I have the HD600, HD650, and the k7xx on hand. I'm plugging the headphones in one at a time to compare them, and best-effort volume matching (due to the loudness differences from the cans' impedance sensitivity).

I see many people saying that the bass on the HD650 and the K7xx are comparable and some mention that the K7xx has extended sub bass when comparing the two. I find that even my HD600 has more bass depth and texture (the HD650 is well-known for being the "bassier" of the HD6xx twins, which is also my experience). Is it possible that my AKG's are a dud?

For example: listening this track on the HD600, the bassdrum kicks have a sound that I can best describe as "full", "round", or like a "bell-shaped" graph. Songs sound similar to my memory of how the band sounded when I saw them live a few months ago. Same track on the k7xx has bassdrum kicks that sound "Somewhat hollow", "oval or elliptical", or like a "plateau-shaped" graph. Sounds like the bass is shaved-off somehow. My test source for the song above is not the Youtube link, it's a FLAC copy of the studio album.

(Sorry for my obvious lack of knowledge regarding audio descriptors, just trying to get my point across using phrases that make the most sense to me.)

I own all 3 headphones, so I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me toward an audio track that can help me determine what's going on.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #3,413 of 4,580
Does anyone remember the AKG K271S?  I've got a 10 year old pair I recently dug out to use with a new living room computer I put together.  They sound like ass right now driven by the motherboard audio chipset.  But I have a used NAD D 1050 on the way which I'm sure will greatly improve things.

I'm tempted to grab a pair of the K7XX from the current drop.  Would any of you guys be able to comment on how much difference and improvement I could expect compared to my K271S?

In addition to the NAD DAC/Amp I could drag my old tube amp out of the closet.

Probably a long shot on anyone having or even remembering what I have right now but it can't hurt to ask.

Thanks,
Chris

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #3,414 of 4,580
  I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my k7xx's...

Gear Info: DAC/AMP portion I'm using is the Grace m9xx. I have the HD600, HD650, and the k7xx on hand. I'm plugging the headphones in one at a time to compare them, and best-effort volume matching (due to the loudness differences from the cans' impedance sensitivity).

I see many people saying that the bass on the HD650 and the K7xx are comparable and some mention that the K7xx has extended sub bass when comparing the two. I find that even my HD600 has more bass depth and texture (the HD650 is well-known for being the "bassier" of the HD6xx twins, which is also my experience). Is it possible that my AKG's are a dud?

For example: listening this track on the HD600, the bassdrum kicks have a sound that I can best describe as "full", "round", or like a "bell-shaped" graph. Songs sound similar to my memory of how the band sounded when I saw them live a few months ago. Same track on the k7xx has bassdrum kicks that sound "Somewhat hollow", "oval or elliptical", or like a "plateau-shaped" graph. Sounds like the bass is shaved-off somehow. My test source for the song above is not the Youtube link, it's a FLAC copy of the studio album.

(Sorry for my obvious lack of knowledge regarding audio descriptors, just trying to get my point across using phrases that make the most sense to me.)

I own all 3 headphones, so I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me toward an audio track that can help me determine what's going on.
I don't own the Senn600 or 650 but do own the HD700.  I know that people describe the 700 as almost bass shy so I know I am not aware of the HD650 bass in particular. 
I will cut to the chase and say that the  AKG 7XXs are bassier than the usual  AKG  sound e.g. the 701, but are not overly bass boosted  headphones.  I can switch between my 700s and the 7XXs without saying where the f... is the bass when I switch to the Senns.  I don't know if you are experiencing an amp mismatch?  That for one reason or another  your Grace  does not work well with the AKGs.  An EE will need to pipe up and let us know if there is an impedance issue for instance.. Just from reading about the Senn 650 I can draw a conclusion,
 In a nutshell the AKGs 7XXs  have good bass but are not equal to any other big  bass  HPs, like the 650.
I am curious to know if you have tried other amps with them. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #3,416 of 4,580
Is the K7XX worth getting if I already have the HD598?

Been debating whether to get the AKGs. Both are very similar but the only advantage I've read about is more bass compared to the Senns.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #3,417 of 4,580
  Is the K7XX worth getting if I already have the HD598?

Been debating whether to get the AKGs. Both are very similar but the only advantage I've read about is more bass compared to the Senns.

It would be a slight upgrade/sidegrade.
Unless you enjoy having multiple headphones with different sound signatures, why not put that money towards a future upgrade?

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #3,419 of 4,580

It would be a slight upgrade/sidegrade.
Unless you enjoy having multiple headphones with different sound signatures, why not put that money towards a future upgrade?

Thanks.

Figured I would ask and finally make up my mind before the latest Massdrop ends. Have enough redundant headphones and need more than just another sound sig. Plus the 598 is pre-wired for balanced (have a modified cable with XLR) while the K7xx is SE only.

Already looking at other upgrades like the iPurifier2. Also researching the HD800S and T1.2 but those are roughly 10x the price of the 598. Hoping to go full high-end in the near future (if I can afford to).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back