The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 13, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #3,391 of 4,580
Asr said:
OTL amps aren't really a great pairing for AKG K7-series headphones. It won't sound bad, but won't be optimal. Tube hybrid amps (like the Garage1217 Project Ember or Schiit Lyr 2) would be better.

Edit: or heck, for even cheaper options you could get away with either Garage1217's Starlight or Schiit's Vali 2, which are both way more powerful than the Little Dot MKIII into low-impedance loads (which the K7-series headphones are).

Thanks for the advice I did not know that about my amp.. Guess I'll try to offload both when I make the switch.

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #3,392 of 4,580

OTL amps aren't really a great pairing for AKG K7-series headphones. It won't sound bad, but won't be optimal. Tube hybrid amps (like the Garage1217 Project Ember or Schiit Lyr 2) would be better.

Edit: or heck, for even cheaper options you could get away with either Garage1217's Starlight or Schiit's Vali 2, which are both way more powerful than the Little Dot MKIII into low-impedance loads (which the K7-series headphones are).

Having this same conversation on another thread actually. http://www.head-fi.org/t/348833/darkvoice-336i-336se-tuberolling-partii/855#post_12247079

As stated I think it honestly sounds awesome at all times..

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #3,393 of 4,580
edit: deleted sorry wrong thread

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #3,396 of 4,580

If I remember it correctly, they did two drops on this phone.

I'm quite sure they did more than two, although I could be mistaking it for when they extended one of the drops.  I don't know but it seems like they did a bunch.  The K7xx no longer feels exclusive, not that I really care.

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #3,397 of 4,580
  How many drops did they do last year? Thinking of just waiting for the next one if there is a next one.

Personally I remember at least 4 in 2015 (in addition to the 1st 2 in 2014).  Definitely way more than 2 regardless.  I would not worry about waiting as this appears to be a huge cash cow for both parties.

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #3,398 of 4,580
It's been about a year since my last headphone purchase (Senn Urbanite for on-the-go use), and I'm thinking of getting new ones yet again.
In addition to the one I got last year, I also own a Sennheiser RS180 (currently main headphones, it's nice that it allows me to keep my habit of spinning in my chair) and a Sennheiser RS160 (can't remember the last time I put these on), and later on from a kickstarter, Kakoon headphones (sleep science headphones, able to lay in bed use), also Sennheiser CX880 (in-ears, which I find I rarely use).
Also for DACs have a Fiio E7 (haven't used for a long while, still sorta working I guess), Sound Blaster Zx (in-case soundcard), Musiland Monitor2 Dragon.

After looking around once again, noticing I have yet to own a good pair of wired headphones, and lowering the budget after pre-ordering the Oculus Rift, at this point I'm torn between going for the Massdrop AKG K7xx or the Sennheiser RS185.
As in really well regarded in quality to price (not regarded in build quality though) wired K7xx ($200)(+$20 if I care to upgrade audio cable, New Fantasia from Amazon) vs the final evolution of the path of high-grade wireless headphones that I've apparently been on ($280). 
Anyone have any input about which I should go for?

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #3,400 of 4,580
Ooop...wrong thread....but I've joined the drop as well. Have had the Annies's earlier and couldn't resist it this drop. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #3,401 of 4,580

Personally I remember at least 4 in 2015 (in addition to the 1st 2 in 2014).  Definitely way more than 2 regardless.  I would not worry about waiting as this appears to be a huge cash cow for both parties.

Agreed its been at least 4

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #3,402 of 4,580
same case here.

should i?

I dont know, people here say the bass boost brought it closer to a hd650 and bassier than a 400i, since i happen to own both these phones, im curious, my k701 didnt have much time on my head because simply i like my other phones better. The rotation is always hd600 hd650 and 400i. Maybe i'll like the k7xx enough that it'll be a part of my rotation. I'll see when it comes. As i do need something with a wide soundstage, but the lack of bass on the k701 made some songs seem lifeless,so im thinking the k7xx might be the one to add.

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #3,403 of 4,580
I dont know, people here say the bass boost brought it closer to a hd650 and bassier than a 400i, since i happen to own both these phones, im curious, my k701 didnt have much time on my head because simply i like my other phones better. The rotation is always hd600 hd650 and 400i. Maybe i'll like the k7xx enough that it'll be a part of my rotation. I'll see when it comes. As i do need something with a wide soundstage, but the lack of bass on the k701 made some songs seem lifeless,so im thinking the k7xx might be the one to add.

If you like AKG's sound signature, but want a little warmer, richer sound, then you can try K7xx. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #3,404 of 4,580
I don't think the bass is heavely boosted, it is just a little more prominent .  It sort of like a small loudness button you see on older amps and receivers.  What amp are you going to use ewith them?. I disagree that these have that AKG sound, they are open sounding but not like a 701. It is probably not foryou given your current preferences, it doesn't slam the music.  I listened  to classical music with them last night and they did a great job imaging the orchestra.   I also used them with to listen to a brisk edition of Bolero and they did a great job.  Nevertheless if you don't like air and space between instruments and such you won't like these, because they are after all true  AKGs tuned and tweaked for this group.
* ( symphony# 5 by guess  who, 2 versions Von Karajan and Bernstein? that symphony must have been the equivalent of heavy metal rock and roll in its time.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back