The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 28, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #3,271 of 4,580
  I wouldn't call the K7XX natural sounding but that's just me
K7XX: never used for movies or games, mostly new age, jazz and rock (bifrost/Lyr2)
DT-990 premium 250:  also never used for movies or games, classic rock, well recorded classical, Kpop, and Jpop (UD-301/BH Crack)
Movies: HD-700 (UD-301/Project Ember)
Games: SennGrado, walnut cups with angled drivers (Asus Xonar STX)

How is K7xx working under Lyr2? 

I just bought a Wadia 121 and am looking for an amp for my AKG K7XX.

Nov 28, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #3,272 of 4,580

Works quite well but I sometimes use the Ember or BH Crack with the K7XX, depends on what I'm listening to and if I'm using the Lyr2 with another headphone at the time.  I'm a little ADHD when listening with headphone, I have 2 DACs and 4 amps on my table and will have 4 headphones connected.  I enjoy listening to how each headphone presents the music that is playing, I don't really consider which headphone is better.  The K7XX is pretty flexible in amp choice, goes well with almost anything except from my phone.
FYI:  I also switch tubes quite often, bugle boys or mullards in the Lyr2 for the K7XX work well, telefunkens and reflectors are too bright for me with the K7XX.  I don't have a large collection for the Lyr2, 24 pairs at last count.

Nov 28, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #3,273 of 4,580
ok, im running my amp at like 40-50% volume

40 to 50% of the dial? Or 40 to 50% of max volume? In other words, some amps may be near max perceived volume at 50% of the dial with some headphones. The goal is to make sure that at your normal listening volume that the amp has some room for dynamic peaks in songs.

That, and if your dac/amp is a $35 dac/amp, I think most head-fiers would agree that you can get better SQ from getting a better DAC/amp.

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #3,274 of 4,580

I use a Darkvoice 3322 with my K7XX and I love the combo; Massdrop periodically has the Darkvoice 336SE which I haven't herd personally but I think another member suggested it was a better match for the K7XX's

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #3,277 of 4,580
40 to 50% of the dial? Or 40 to 50% of max volume? In other words, some amps may be near max perceived volume at 50% of the dial with some headphones. The goal is to make sure that at your normal listening volume that the amp has some room for dynamic peaks in songs.

That, and if your dac/amp is a $35 dac/amp, I think most head-fiers would agree that you can get better SQ from getting a better DAC/amp.

40-50% of the dial, I think the amp is like $300 retail, but in a Japan if you're a traveler you get like insane heavy discounts (Well that's what happened to me) , which is why I got it for so cheap. I plan on getting a better more known amp in the future, as I learn more, but probably will stick with what I have.  also thanks so much for your knowledge! helping a lot! :) 

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #3,279 of 4,580
has anyone tried the bass port mod? is it reversible? I mean, its just a sticker that needs to go back on, but when you put it back, do you need to add some glue so it goes back with the same amount of stickyness/seal?

Nov 30, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #3,280 of 4,580
In case someone is thinking of going the balanced route with their K-7XXs, just had Brian at BTG-Audio convert them using Q cable. He did a fantastic job, highly recommend!

Lol thanks. Hahaha. Btw, just wondering how the sound differs from balanced to unbalanced. 

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #3,281 of 4,580
I have just bought the k7XX and is currently searching for an amp and dac to drive it. I have read a lot of posts and am leaning towards getting the schiit stack. However, I would like to know how does the schiit stack sound in comparison to some cheaper amp/dac like the Fiio E10k.

I am new to things like premium headphones. I was impressed by the combination of Q701 and Audioquest dragonfly I tried in a shop, so I am not sure if spending the extra is worth it. 

Hope my question make sense.

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #3,282 of 4,580
  I have just bought the k7XX and is currently searching for an amp and dac to drive it. I have read a lot of posts and am leaning towards getting the schiit stack. However, I would like to know how does the schiit stack sound in comparison to some cheaper amp/dac like the Fiio E10k.

I am new to things like premium headphones. I was impressed by the combination of Q701 and Audioquest dragonfly I tried in a shop, so I am not sure if spending the extra is worth it. 

Hope my question make sense.

Congrats, the K7XX are a great pair of headphones. To start out, the E10K, the Schiit Fulla and the CEntrance DACport Slim (Massdrop exclusive) are all good choices. I currently use a Slim with the K7XX and it pairs quite nicely with the K7XX, so that's the one I'd wholeheartedly recommend. It is neutral-warm sounding. I have a friend who uses a Fulla and he likes it with his K7XX. We both agree however that the Slim is essentially a better version of the Fulla in most every way. The E10K is supposedly neutral-warm with a bass boost switch but I doubt it's as resolving/transparent as the Slim. That being said, I may actually be selling my Slim soon.

The Schiit stack supposedly sounds neutral with a certain "leanness" coming from the Modi 2. They pack quite some power though so if want a set-up for the long-term, that ain't a bad choice at all for the K7XX.

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #3,283 of 4,580
40-50% of the dial, I think the amp is like $300 retail, but in a Japan if you're a traveler you get like insane heavy discounts (Well that's what happened to me) , which is why I got it for so cheap. I plan on getting a better more known amp in the future, as I learn more, but probably will stick with what I have.  also thanks so much for your knowledge! helping a lot! :) 

If the amp has plenty of headroom and the dac is decent, I wouldn't expect a ton from upgrading.

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #3,284 of 4,580

Congrats, the K7XX are a great pair of headphones. To start out, the E10K, the Schiit Fulla and the CEntrance DACport Slim (Massdrop exclusive) are all good choices. I currently use a Slim with the K7XX and it pairs quite nicely with the K7XX, so that's the one I'd wholeheartedly recommend. It is neutral-warm sounding. I have a friend who uses a Fulla and he likes it with his K7XX. We both agree however that the Slim is essentially a better version of the Fulla in most every way. The E10K is supposedly neutral-warm with a bass boost switch but I doubt it's as resolving/transparent as the Slim. That being said, I may actually be selling my Slim soon.

The Schiit stack supposedly sounds neutral with a certain "leanness" coming from the Modi 2. They pack quite some power though so if want a set-up for the long-term, that ain't a bad choice at all for the K7XX.

I considered getting the Slim as well but I gave it up because I expect I can get better sound quality by compromising the portability that I do not need. So I am looking for a desktop setup that sounds neutral right now.

By the way, do u mean magni 2, which is the amp, is supposed to have a neutral sound?

Dec 1, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #3,285 of 4,580
Magni 2 is supposedly a neutral amp while any "leanness" that one attributes to the M2 stack appears to come from the Modi 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back