The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Oct 23, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #3,016 of 4,580
Not sure where that came from, as such a thing was never even implied. The text you quoted said nothing of the sort. :confused:

As you seem to be a serious musical aficionado with a passion for the art, can you post a pic of your music collection? Here's mine:

Oh, boy. The "My _____ is bigger/more expensive than your _________, so my opinion carries more weight" arguments. :p

I'm actually more impressed at 21st century music collections that look like this:

:etysmile:

Oct 23, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #3,019 of 4,580
man this thread turned into an e-peen contest real fast

lets get back on topic:

When do you guys think those within the US will be receiving our K7XX ?
It still says the estimated ship date is November 3, so they should start arriving a few business days after that (actual time depending on shipping origin and destination).

Sidebar: anyone who missed should re-request the drop. I had to cancel mine for financial reasons and I hope to get in on the next one.

Oct 23, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #3,020 of 4,580
I can certainly appreciate your sentiment, and it's clear you've invested heavily on your hobby, and are quite knowledgeable. At the same time, however, many of us are price-sensitive. Since I'm saving to buy a house, I need to make the most of my disposable income.

I'm not sure what's "shameful" about enjoying the hobby while living within our means. I don't mean to attack you, I'm just curious.

I claim to try to do both and you can get close. Beyerbdt770 Pro for $135, AKG 702 for $179, Monster inspiration Active for $89, Beyer DT 990 Pro for $135, Martin Logan Mykos for $40, ADH 900xx for $114 and many more. Not the top of the line but very goof mid fi for great prices. I even had a shot at Sennnheiser 650s for $275 but didn't l.ike the sound if (you can believe) that. I'm not bragging on my buying prowess. Just saying there is an in expensive way to accomplish good things.

Oct 23, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #3,021 of 4,580
  I claim to try to do both and you can get close. Beyerbdt770 Pro for $135, AKG 702 for $179, Monster inspiration Active for $89, Beyer DT 990 Pro for $135, Martin Logan Mykos for $40, ADH 900xx for $114 and many more. Not the top of the line but very goof mid fi for great prices. I even had a shot at Sennnheiser 650s for $275 but didn't l.ike the sound if (you can believe) that. I'm not bragging on my buying prowess. Just saying there is an in expensive way to accomplish good things.

Where did you get Martin Logan Mykos for $40? I'd love to get it.

Oct 23, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #3,022 of 4,580

I'm with you. I think you misunderstood my comment, actually. I employ a similar strategy in buying gear, as do most of the people who grabbed these cans-- because most agree they're the best you can get for under $300. Someone like @shaffer bought them because they sound darn good, and not because they're cheaper than their competitors are.

The discussion started because @shaffer suggested that some of us are too concerned with price-to-performance, and should focus rather on performance and sound signature.

I don't feel that argument contributed to our discussion about the K7XX; I just wanted to clarify.

Oct 24, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #3,023 of 4,580
The discussion started because @shaffer suggested that some of us are too concerned with price-to-performance, and should focus rather on performance and sound signature.

To clarify once more, it was about using the price as a determinate for classification of performance, and not the resulting sound. Look around; that's how it works in Head-Fi. Designations like mid-fi are solely based on price, where as in the world of high-performance audio the price is the last consideration as a descriptor of performance. For example, to those of us whose systems don't fit on desks, mid-fi is exemplified by the mass-market receivers sold at Best Buy. A LDIII is considered High-End, even though it only costs ~$300. Why, because its sound lies on another level compared to mid-fi equipment. Again, none of this is price-driven. The classifications of components are solely determined by their sound quality. BTW, High-End audio is not necessarily congruent with expensive audio, though it often is. It's the sound quality that determines the classification.

As this this the fourth time I had to explain this, please, pretty please, leave me out of your forthcoming comments. Seriously, enough is enough.

FWIW, the original post was not OT, as you assert, as it discussed amplifiers suitable for the K7XX. It's there for anyone to read. However, you just took the thread OT again. Please stop speaking for me.

I don't feel that argument contributed to our discussion about the K7XX; I just wanted to clarify.

I agree. Wouldn't it be nice if folks actually read the thread, understood the text, and were familiar with the culture of the forum before deciding to troll and attack someone? I think so.

Oh, boy. The "My _____ is bigger/more expensive than your _________, so my opinion carries more weight" arguments. :p

I was accused of not caring about music. Hence, the pics. I also thought that some folks would get a kick out of seeing them. It had nothing to do with an asserted opinion. All this is on record and easy to digest, if one takes the time to actually read the discussion.

I'm actually more impressed at 21st century music collections that look like this:

:etysmile:

I have one of those, too. A 2TB filled with HD, DSD, and FLAC files. Would you like to see it? lol

Oct 24, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #3,024 of 4,580
Hey guys,

I currently have the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's (250ohm) and I loooove them for my electronic music. But I want to experience some new sound. How would these do? If massdrop has them again I might get them.

Oct 24, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #3,025 of 4,580
  Hey guys,

I currently have the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's (250ohm) and I loooove them for my electronic music. But I want to experience some new sound. How would these do? If massdrop has them again I might get them.

The two will sound totally different.  The K7xx is closer to neutral (so less bass boost, less treble) and should be warmer sounding, with more forward mids.

Oct 24, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #3,027 of 4,580

The two will sound totally different.  The K7xx is closer to neutral (so less bass boost, less treble) and should be warmer sounding, with more forward mids.

Agreed (I own both).

Hmm interesting, might get them. Any of you listen to edm? Lately I listen to alot of future bass, chill trap. I do like bass but not muddy bass.

Edit: by the way I use a xonar essence sxt soundcard on my pc.

Oct 24, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #3,028 of 4,580
I don't listen to EDM.  I do wonder how the K7xx will sound just out of a sound card.  It's known to benefit from higher end amplification more than most similarly priced headphones including the DT 990. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #3,029 of 4,580
Hmm interesting, might get them. Any of you listen to edm? Lately I listen to alot of future bass, chill trap. I do like bass but not muddy bass.

Edit: by the way I use a xonar essence sxt soundcard on my pc.

I listen to some EDM, mostly Minimal (techno and dub), Experimental, all kinds of Chill, bass-driven Dark Ambient (not really EDM), etc. To avoid muddly bass with either headphone, two things need to happen: the headphones need time to burn in (more applicable to K7XX) and a powerful amplifier than can control and articulate the low-end. With the K7XX, at first, the bass was somewhat woolly and illdefined. After a a time the bass became more fleshed-out, it was significantly more tight and detailed, and there was a bit more extension.

Be careful pairing the K7XX with an overly warm amplifier that has similar sonic characteristics as the cans. Like the Vio V200. Brought out the worst in both components. In a lower price range, a Matrix M-Stage would have a similar effect. OTOH, the Meier Concerto - a relatively neutral sounding amp - brought these cans to life, as did the Feliks Elise with additional color and texture. A Meier Arietta sounded great with the K7XX, as well, and it can be had in the classifieds for ~$150.

Edit: clarification

Users who are viewing this thread

Back