The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jul 9, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #2,626 of 4,580
I hate myself a little for getting into this rabbit hole of headphones. Theres too much out there!

I had my eye on the magni2u, now im just reading up about tubes amps so theres a new door to open and explore as well. Anyways, ill chime back in a few weeks once i get an amp and/or dac.

If you want a little tube flavor, in an inexpensive amp, check out the Schiit Vali.

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #2,627 of 4,580
Just my 2 cents... I just got a set of K7XX from the recent drop. I have a Magni/Modi uber stack that pushes them fine. However, when I use the Modi and my Little Dot MKIII, the volume is almost all the way up to get things really rocking. Still some room left on the volume knob, but near as much as the Magni. So, I think you need a tube amp with some 'oomph'.

Jul 10, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #2,628 of 4,580
If you want a little tube flavor, in an inexpensive amp, check out the Schiit Vali.

Just my 2 cents... I just got a set of K7XX from the recent drop. I have a Magni/Modi uber stack that pushes them fine. However, when I use the Modi and my Little Dot MKIII, the volume is almost all the way up to get things really rocking. Still some room left on the volume knob, but near as much as the Magni. So, I think you need a tube amp with some 'oomph'.

I can second this, I run a modi2u/vali and it sounds great. I usually have the volume around 9 or 10 o'clock position. If I really want to get things rocking then probably at 12 o clock.

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #2,629 of 4,580
Detachable cable is nice. I realise the whole series has them but never payed much attention to that. Anyone who has other K7XX series headphones use either Modmic or something like Vmoda BoomPro mic with their headphones for gaming?
One big reason for getting these for me is PS4 gaming, so wondering what the best mic/cable solution is for them.
i just got my modmic last night. I stuck the magnet right under the left sides 7xx emblem. Works verk well. I have an xbox one and needed a splitter to plug both the mic and headphone into the controller.

Jul 11, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #2,630 of 4,580
Is there any sub 300 tube amp for this thing? It sounds like some of the little dots, dark voices etc. are power differently than the K7xx's. Are there any out there that fit the k7xx's 64ohm? 

BTW. I just tried the Pangea HP 101 cheap tube amp/dac and wow they made the vocals so smooth, forward and nice. Amazing for some songs. So much so that my vali now sounds super harsh, or at least to me it does because I hate a bright sound. However, the pangea is severely underpowered. It gets super loud by 8 o clock, but no oomph no opening up or imaging ect.

Jul 12, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #2,631 of 4,580
  Is there any sub 300 tube amp for this thing? It sounds like some of the little dots, dark voices etc. are power differently than the K7xx's. Are there any out there that fit the k7xx's 64ohm? 

BTW. I just tried the Pangea HP 101 cheap tube amp/dac and wow they made the vocals so smooth, forward and nice. Amazing for some songs. So much so that my vali now sounds super harsh, or at least to me it does because I hate a bright sound. However, the pangea is severely underpowered. It gets super loud by 8 o clock, but no oomph no opening up or imaging ect.

Take a look at the Project Solstice from Garage 1217.  I have the Project Ember which is the higher powered version but its over your $300 budget.

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #2,632 of 4,580
Thanks, I have about $600+ in amps maybe I'll offload a few or all of them to justify the project ember. I've heard a lot about it now. Does it fit the K7xx's weird power draw though? And is it's sound significantly better than these other $200-$300 tube amps? 

Jul 12, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #2,633 of 4,580
Thanks, I have about $600+ in amps maybe I'll offload a few or all of them to justify the project ember. I've heard a lot about it now. Does it fit the K7xx's weird power draw though? And is it's sound significantly better than these other $200-$300 tube amps? 

What's the weird power draw?

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #2,634 of 4,580
The Ember performs exceptionally well with the K7XX's. There is no power draw problems with them paired, and they will sound perfect so I would definitely get the Ember

Edit: Yes it out performs amps at its price bracket and amps way above its price bracket, and it scales great with better tubes

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #2,635 of 4,580

Don't know about a weird power draw for the K7XX?  Is the Ember "significantly" better than amps in the $200-300 range can only be answered by you but IMO its a great value for the price and is one of the most flexible amps that I know of.

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #2,636 of 4,580
I didn't realize that the last drop was about misprinted packaging. But yeah. I still wouldn't count on the next drop coming along as soon as they did the last six months or so.

It's not misprinted. It's just not the "first edition" anymore because the first edition is gone. Now just "limited".

And they are back on massdrop RIGHT NOW :wink: again 1,250 pieces this time.  

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Community%20-%20Audiophile%20-%20MAU%20%28Active%29&utm_campaign=Audiophile%20A%20Product%20Announcement%202015-07-14&mode=guest_open&referer=WB9APF

cheers,
K

PS: better be quick, within 5 minutes from 28 sold to 43 - so hurry if you want one.

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #2,637 of 4,580
It's not misprinted. It's just not the "first edition" anymore because the first edition is gone. Now just "limited".

Sorry. I misunderstood what you meant when you said "that missed the print "first edition" on the packaging."

And they are back on massdrop RIGHT NOW :wink: again 1,250 pieces this time.  

Yeah. I saw that. What's weird about it is that they are still saying this is the 1st production run and they have 1250 units. The last couple of drops said the same thing, but they were much more limited in quantity. I wonder how many they have in their warehouse? LOL It would be interesting to know how big the first production run was. I thought I had read 6000+ units.

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #2,638 of 4,580
I got my first Massdrop email today and this AKG K7XX caught my eye.
Besides all the talks about not having a "first edition" label, are these current runs identical to the initial production from last year?

I noticed the test charts of those AKG K7XX from last year to be almost as good as charts of the K812.
(from innerfidelity.com)

Thanks

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #2,639 of 4,580
  I got my first Massdrop email today and this AKG K7XX caught my eye.
Besides all the talks about not having a "first edition" label, are these current runs identical to the initial production from last year?

I noticed the test charts of those AKG K7XX from last year to be almost as good as charts of the K812.
(from innerfidelity.com)

Thanks

AKG K7xx performs extremely well for its price point. While certain flagships may have some technical sound quality advantages & someone people may prefer a different sound signature, the K7xx is very very competitive at its price point & a very good value pair of headphones. You can check out my review & measurements in my sig for my full perspective, but these are headphones I highly recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back