The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jul 6, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #2,596 of 4,580
 I have the Magni 2 Uber. It's great and does a great job driving them. It's something you can buy once and be set with. You should do it!
i wish there were local places i could try out different amps. I'm now eyeing the vali as well since many report it having a warmer sound which helps with the analytical 7xx. I do plan on expanding my set up down the road and powered monitors are in that vision so i am leaning towards the magni 2 uber. However, i am just really curious what any dedicated headphone amp will sound like paires withthe 7xx.

Also,i learned out to do the braiding on the cord, took about an hour,its shortened to about 4' in overall length.

Thinking about getting a coiled cable but thats almost $40. Massdrop has the akg k181, which comes with the coiled cable for under $90 right now. Only a day left on the drop. Thought about it hard, but i just got these, cant be jumping ship just yet.

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #2,597 of 4,580
i wish there were local places i could try out different amps. I'm now eyeing the vali as well since many report it having a warmer sound which helps with the analytical 7xx. I do plan on expanding my set up down the road and powered monitors are in that vision so i am leaning towards the magni 2 uber. However, i am just really curious what any dedicated headphone amp will sound like paires withthe 7xx.

What do you plan to connect the Magni 2 Uber to?

Maybe you should go for it all and get an Audio-GD NFB-15 :D

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #2,598 of 4,580

Also,i learned out to do the braiding on the cord, took about an hour,its shortened to about 4' in overall length.

Thinking about getting a coiled cable but thats almost $40. Massdrop has the akg k181, which comes with the coiled cable for under $90 right now. Only a day left on the drop. Thought about it hard, but i just got these, cant be jumping ship just yet.

I'm in the same boat as you here in Hawaii, only a few places where you can try headphones and only one place that has a few headphone amps, nothing even mid-fi.

As for cables, I've started to build my own, cheaper and I can make higher quality ones than stock to any length I want.  Tried 2 high end cables and didn't notice any sonic difference unless the original was really bad but the cables that I've built didn't have any differences that I could notice.

Jul 6, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #2,599 of 4,580
  The difference each person hears is dependent on what they start with (iphone, Galaxy S5, Fiio X3, etc) and what amp they go with, for me its a Lyr2 and Project Ember, the difference is quite noticeable vs my S5 but not quite as much from my X3 which has much more power and will even work with my HE-400i in a pinch.

+1

And also their listening volume, since a several db difference in normal listening volume could matter to whether or not a weaker amp drives the K7XX fairly well or not.

These are both sensible points we should remember to keep in mind.

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #2,601 of 4,580
   I have the Magni 2 Uber. It's great and does a great job driving them. It's something you can buy once and be set with. You should do it!

Just got the Magni 2 (non uber) and it's sounding fantastic as well. If you don't want to shell out he extra dough for the uber version.

Edit: Although now I have to make a trip out to walmart to get another surge protector. 

Jul 7, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #2,603 of 4,580
Eventually you are going to want really effective surge and sag protection and very clean quiet power from a high end company.  Take a look at Tri-Point  There is more than one guy on Audiogon who saved money by buying an industrial power supply which he of course claims is superior to the audio stuff.

Jul 7, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #2,604 of 4,580
  Eventually you are going to want really effective surge and sag protection and very clean quiet power from a high end company.  Take a look at Tri-Point  There is more than one guy on Audiogon who saved money by buying an industrial power supply which he of course claims is superior to the audio stuff.

TriPoint Spartan... beautiful box.. $35,000.00 Can that be right?
I am quite sure that this particular "Eventually" will never arrive for me.

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #2,605 of 4,580
  TriPoint Spartan... beautiful box.. $35,000.00 Can that be right?
I am quite sure that this particular "Eventually" will never arrive for me.

Damn that's a high price tag. I visited the site, but where are you getting the prices from? I'm looking all over where I could buy Tripoint products but can't find a website for the life of me. I'm sure they have better budget boxes for my 100$ amp lol

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #2,606 of 4,580

I looked for quite awhile too. I found a discussion on audiogon... so indirectly. This guy said that he would love to have one, but could not justify the $35K.
I found some used for between $10K and $20K. Hey the wood is piano grade finished Bubinga... they said it takes the guy 6 weeks to build them... Has to be worth it, right? (for somebody way above my pay grade). There has to be unicorn tears involved somewhere... or gold dust from the Holy Grail.
Sorry, Too many much more productive things I could do with $35K.

For one that is a slight bit less irrational you could get one of these for $500:
http://store.transparentcable.com/power-conditioning/powerbanks/powerbank-2-power-conditioner/

Or get a $5 surge suppressor... be happy, and likely never miss anything! 

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #2,609 of 4,580
It'll be back! Seems to come around around 3 or 4 times a year. I believe the one prior to the drop ending in may was February.

Well, they had initially planned on around a 6,000 unit order, from my understanding. The first two drops filled that order. Then the later two were to sell of some extras (possibly cancelled orders--not sure). So hopefully they will decide to do it again. But I wouldn't count on it necessarily happening soon.

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #2,610 of 4,580
Well, they had initially planned on around a 6,000 unit order, from my understanding. The first two drops filled that order. Then the later two were to sell of some extras (possibly cancelled orders--not sure). So hopefully they will decide to do it again. But I wouldn't count on it necessarily happening soon.

Hi,

All first edition got sold. The last drop however was not a "first edition" drop but for a K7XX that missed the print "first edition" on the packaging as far as I remember.

So there will be further drops for sure, just not called first edition anymore.

Quote from massdrop K7XX page:
In 2012, AKG released the 65th anniversary edition of their K702 to instant acclaim. Built with a bass boost, improved comfort, and matched transducers, the limited edition K702 became a legend in the audiophile community for its sound and build quality. Following the success of the Q701 drop in June, we asked AKG if we could configure our own edition of the K702 65th, and they agreed based on their faith in the Massdrop community. Configured by Massdrop, manufactured by AKG, and made possible by you, the AKG K7XX Massdrop Limited Edition Headphones bring you rare sound at an even rarer price.
Note: This is the first run of the Limited Edition K7XX headphone and is limited to 1,250 units. Each unit is still individually serialized, but will not have the "First Edition" text on the packaging.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones?s=K7xx

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back