The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jul 4, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #2,582 of 4,580
  Yo gents,

Man these K7XX are nice! I do love the extra bass and warmth, and they compliment the K701 and Q701 really nicely. They are also easier to drive? They get louder on my V200 much sooner than my K701, and that's direct swapping. So odd as the stats for these are the same. The bass control and extension else seem better. I also noticed my Auditor really drives them to the limits, unlike my K701....but that shouldn't be.. I am at a loss this shouldn't be.

Look forward to my three way shoot out between the K701, Q701, and K702. For now I'll return to listening to Army of The Pharaohs. Underrated rap band they are.

Perceived Loudness is more dependent on bass than treble, so I imagine the fuller low end on the 7XXs makes them sound louder sooner. Also, I think the specs claim they are slightly more sensitive. 

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #2,584 of 4,580
Perceived Loudness is more dependent on bass than treble, so I imagine the fuller low end on the 7XXs makes them sound louder sooner. Also, I think the specs claim they are slightly more sensitive. 

You can see in Tyll's measurements at Innerfidelity of the K7XX in comparison to the Q701 and K701 that they are, indeed, a bit easier to drive such that it should be audibly noticeable:

Q701
Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.318 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 60 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 1.68 mW

K701
Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.320 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 65 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 1.57 mW

K7XX
Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.206 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 66 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 0.64 mW

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #2,585 of 4,580
Thanks for clearing that up!

They are a lot easier to drive, and reap all the benefits of good amplification still.

Quote:
You can see in Tyll's measurements at Innerfidelity of the K7XX in comparison to the Q701 and K701 that they are, indeed, a bit easier to drive such that it should be audibly noticeable:

Q701
Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.318 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 60 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 1.68 mW

K701
Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.320 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 65 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 1.57 mW

K7XX
Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.206 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 66 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 0.64 mW

Jul 4, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #2,587 of 4,580
  So can you use the k7xx with an iphone? An iphone is like 1 volt, so it could get decently loud, right?

With my 3rd Gen Ipod Touch about 50% with volume limit set to max is a good average listening volume.  Past 70% it gets too loud for me.  Well the volume is good enough, but you can tell that the amp is too weak to provide enough power for great bass.

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #2,588 of 4,580
  With my 3rd Gen Ipod Touch about 50% with volume limit set to max is a good average listening volume.  Past 70% it gets too loud for me.  Well the volume is good enough, but you can tell that the amp is too weak to provide enough power for great bass.

Agreed. My experience is that portable devices like the current iPhone can definitely power the K7XX but the sound is usually a little thinner than you'll get with dedicated amplification. To me, the difference isn't drastic but it's noticeable.

Jul 5, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #2,589 of 4,580
I disagree. It is a drastic change and an iDevice headphone out is completely underwhelming.

Jul 5, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #2,590 of 4,580
I disagree. It is a drastic change and an iDevice headphone out is completely underwhelming.

+1 once you heard this headphone with a powerful desktop am - the iPhone (though extremely capable) reaches just its power limit.

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #2,591 of 4,580

Agreed. My experience is that portable devices like the current iPhone can definitely power the K7XX but the sound is usually a little thinner than you'll get with dedicated amplification. To me, the difference isn't drastic but it's noticeable.

The difference each person hears is dependent on what they start with (iphone, Galaxy S5, Fiio X3, etc) and what amp they go with, for me its a Lyr2 and Project Ember, the difference is quite noticeable vs my S5 but not quite as much from my X3 which has much more power and will even work with my HE-400i in a pinch.

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #2,592 of 4,580
The difference each person hears is dependent on what they start with (iphone, Galaxy S5, Fiio X3, etc) and what amp they go with, for me its a Lyr2 and Project Ember, the difference is quite noticeable vs my S5 but not quite as much from my X3 which has much more power and will even work with my HE-400i in a pinch.

+1

And also their listening volume, since a several db difference in normal listening volume could matter to whether or not a weaker amp drives the K7XX fairly well or not.

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #2,594 of 4,580
The akg 7xx is my first foray into headphones. I'm a pretty budget minded person so the low price point and relatively great reviews really apealed to me.

Initial impression is very good. No rattling as some people reported. Fits comfortably. The cord is way too long for my needs. Will be trying to learn how to braid them next week.

I do listen to a LOT of edm and enjoy these headphones. I spent a couple nights and mornings playing destiny and enjoy them for gaming as well.

I have used them through my laptop, phone and the headphone output of my home theater receiver. I feel there's enough power. However, i am tempted to buy a desktop amp. Problem is i want the magni 2 uber. Don't think i need it yet to be quite honest but i will be getting the amp in the next few months.

Excited to see what the addition of an amp will sound like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back