The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jun 28, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #2,551 of 4,580

I was at a local meet yesterday and had my K7xx with me. They were pretty popular as far as people asking to use them. Out of 5 people that I talked to that tried them, there was not a negative comment made. The most prevalent comment was that they are very good, not even considering the price. I have been extremely happy with my purchase of these. They do pair better with different electronics, but they are what I usually pick up when doing things around the house and yard with my X5.

BTW, I have never felt that they degrade the sound as was previously mentioned. There must be something else going on.

Jun 28, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #2,552 of 4,580
I think he meant that the resulting sound came across like a 128kbps MP3. :)

Ah, you are right there. I would still look into the source files though as the source of the problem. Maybe the cymbals just sound that way on that recording/master. Perhaps try testing with other pairs of headphones to see. The K7xx's treble response sounds to be a bit on the crispier side of the spectrum from my personal usage, so perhaps a more laid-back treble may suit his tastes better.

Jun 28, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #2,553 of 4,580
Ah, you are right there. I would still look into the source files though as the source of the problem. Maybe the cymbals just sound that way on that recording/master. Perhaps try testing with other pairs of headphones to see. The K7xx's treble response sounds to be a bit on the crispier side of the spectrum from my personal usage, so perhaps a more laid-back treble may suit his tastes better.

Source is the remastered Beatles - Let It Be CD. And I compared them directly to Grado HF2 and my Magnepan 1.6QR. Fact is that the cymbals sound recessed and fake compared to both of those. First time I had listened to stuff other than movies/Netflix, classical, or newer (compressed) rock on K7XX.

Source may not be "ideal" in the sense that it's not a newer recording, but it is a respected transfer that sounds great on the speakers. Cymbals are a pretty easy gauge for me when doing bit rate tests (like the recent NPR post). Putting my ear roughly headphone distance from my Maggie tweeter told me I was listening to cymbals.

Laid back treble definitely does not suit me better. My reference are the Maggies, HF2, and Etymotic ER4P/S. I'd bet I would like the K702 more than the K7XX, but I doubt they would sound more realistic.

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #2,554 of 4,580
Source is the remastered Beatles - Let It Be CD. And I compared them directly to Grado HF2 and my Magnepan 1.6QR. Fact is that the cymbals sound recessed and fake compared to both of those. First time I had listened to stuff other than movies/Netflix, classical, or newer (compressed) rock on K7XX.

Source may not be "ideal" in the sense that it's not a newer recording, but it is a respected transfer that sounds great on the speakers. Cymbals are a pretty easy gauge for me when doing bit rate tests (like the recent NPR post). Putting my ear roughly headphone distance from my Maggie tweeter told me I was listening to cymbals.

Laid back treble definitely does not suit me better. My reference are the Maggies, HF2, and Etymotic ER4P/S. I'd bet I would like the K702 more than the K7XX, but I doubt they would sound more realistic.

The most realistic of the K7 series is the K712 in my opinion being more energetic and brighter than the K7XX. The K701/2 and Q701 had too much lower treble energy for my liking. You may be surprised by how different the different K7 headphones can sound. 

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #2,556 of 4,580
The K7XXs do scale very well. Hadn't listened to them for awhile, since my Wife claimed them. So plugged them into my new Tarus Mk. 2, they scale very well. Fantastic soundstage, still have that "credit card", "plastic" veil. Someone earlier compared them to the 650, I think they are spot on.

They are very good headphones, IMO, Sennenheiser should be concerned.

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #2,557 of 4,580
Does anyone else find these uncomfortable after more than an hour or so? I had same issue with the Q701s but that was to do with the awful bumps on the head band digging into my head. They seem to clamp down on my ears and I have to take them of for a bit to stop my ears hurting. 

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #2,558 of 4,580
  Does anyone else find these uncomfortable after more than an hour or so? I had same issue with the Q701s but that was to do with the awful bumps on the head band digging into my head. They seem to clamp down on my ears and I have to take them of for a bit to stop my ears hurting. 

I have a fairly large head and i agree with you. I usually game with K7XXs and the clamp(albiet less) does become bothersome after like an hour or so. 

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #2,559 of 4,580

K7xx got rid of the stupid bumps in the headband.

For clamping pressure & earcup death, that is subjective I think, so hard to say. I've found it helps me personally to wear them when my ears as far back as possible.

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #2,560 of 4,580
  K7xx got rid of the stupid bumps in the headband.

For clamping pressure & earcup death, that is subjective I think, so hard to say. I've found it helps me personally to wear them when my ears as far back as possible.

Wasn't sure if it was just a case of there being a bedding in period but I've had them quite a few month now. They were really comfortable to start with but can only wear them for a short period before getting uncomfortable. Tried wearing them on and over my ear differently but doesn't make much difference. 

Jun 29, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #2,561 of 4,580
I actually personally also found the new Annie/K712/K7XX memory foam pads a bit more uncomfortable than the standard spring foam angled pads. I think its partially due to harder density of the memory foam (it does conform to the shape of your face better but the contact on the face seems harder) as well as due to the pads not being angled anymore (the angled pads by nature of their shape takes pressure off the thinner frontal area more, where I have most issues). But as with any comfort issues it is completely subjective and will differ for every user.

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #2,562 of 4,580
I've been contemplating repurchasing Fidelio X2s or the K7XX, and I wanted to know how they compare in terms of bass and treble. Do the K7XX have less bass and more treble than the X2s?

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #2,563 of 4,580
I have a fairly large head and i agree with you. I usually game with K7XXs and the clamp(albiet less) does become bothersome after like an hour or so. 

I have a big head, too. At first I was surprised by the degree of clamp; felt like my cheeks were being squeezed together. After stretching the HPs - 3-4 times, ~10 seconds at a time - they became much more comfortable.

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #2,564 of 4,580

When I first got mine yes the pads bothered my ears..they don't have a lot of give to them especially being memory foam. My DT770s velours are very soft and I could wear then for hours. Ive gotten used to the pads though and not their pretty comfy. Only issue I have now is the band will dig into my head after a while. Even then though its usually by he time Ive been at the computer for far longer than I should be anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back