The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jun 14, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #2,521 of 4,580
The clear plastic suspension on the inner part of my K7XX's headband (left side) has snapped in half. I never had this issue with the other model AKGs with similar build, but they were all early production Austrian made (Q701, K702 AE. K612, K712). I could care less about the whole made in China vs made in Austria debate, but now I see how sometimes cheaper materials can be an issue.

I contacted Massdrop support in hopes that this qualifies as a production flaw. I baby my headphones but my my head is rather larger than most
happy_face1.gif
, so that may have been the cause. Still, as mentioned above, never had this issue with the latters listed... 
frown.gif

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #2,522 of 4,580
The clear plastic suspension on the inner part of my K7XX's headband (left side) has snapped in half. I never had this issue with the other model AKGs with similar build, but they were all early production Austrian made (Q701, K702 AE. K612, K712). I could care less about the whole made in China vs made in Austria debate, but now I see how sometimes cheaper materials can be an issue.

I contacted Massdrop support in hopes that this qualifies as a production flaw. I baby my headphones but my my head is rather larger than most :happy_face1: , so that may have been the cause. Still, as mentioned above, never had this issue with the latters listed... :frowning2:  

You be able to just contact AKG, because I think you get a 2 year warranty for them. It would be probably much faster than Massdrop

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #2,523 of 4,580

I contacted Massdrop support in hopes that this qualifies as a production flaw. I baby my headphones but my my head is rather larger than most :happy_face1: , so that may have been the cause. Still, as mentioned above, never had this issue with the latters listed... :frowning2:  

Actually that particular part has always been a problem in the K7** models, I've had that part broken in my past K701 units made in Austria. No getting around a thin piece of plastic being fragile, really.

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #2,524 of 4,580
Actually that particular part has always been a problem in the K7** models, I've had that part broken in my past K701 units made in Austria. No getting around a thin piece of plastic being fragile, really.

That makes me feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one. What did you do when it happened?

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #2,525 of 4,580
That makes me feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one. What did you do when it happened?

I honestly did not put it through any extra stress other than regular daily wear, I guess if it matters at all I also do have a larger than average head.

I think all that plastic does is to prevent the headband from shifting laterally too much, thus that part breaking doesn't really affect the overall fit for most people... I personally kept it at the time since getting service here in Canada for AKG products is a pain, but I can see how it can be frustrating from the cosmetic perspective... and as it broke on you naturally within the warranty period,I think they should get that fixed for ya (and luckily the service in USA for AKG seems to be a lot better and more responsive).

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #2,526 of 4,580
Didn't even know that was a problem untill I got my Kxx's...The Kxx are fine, but I noticed that my Q701's had one of those plastic bits broken in half, as they were laying in front of me. I was like when did this happen? Don't seem to change or affect much, since I didn't even know I had one of those bits broken.

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #2,528 of 4,580
Does anyone know how they might have broken the plastic strap?  Looking at it there is a lot of bending when you put on and take of the headphone so it has to be flexible.

My guess would be a material defect, or low temperature paired with just an unlucky hit in the wrong spot. They do seem very flexible so probably just a bit of bad luck.

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #2,529 of 4,580
No excessive strain other than normal use, here, also.

Like I said, my large noggin might have been the culprit. I contacted both AKG and MD with hopes of some kind of solution. Thanks guys

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #2,530 of 4,580
My guess would be a material defect, or low temperature paired with just an unlucky hit in the wrong spot. They do seem very flexible so probably just a bit of bad luck.

Thanks for the update, guess I need to be careful with them, Hawaii is pretty warm so don't have to worry about the cold part.

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #2,531 of 4,580
http://www.head-fi.org/t/771894/akg-mini-xlr-ta3f-to-3-5mm-adapter-for-v-moda-boompro-uk-eu

In case anyone in the UK is having a hard time finding an AKG Mini XLR to 3.5mm adapter for pairing your K7XX with the V-Moda BoomPro

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #2,532 of 4,580
Just today my right ear piece has started creaking.  It's the cup as it flexes around the socket.  It's a little annoying and kind of a shame as I think slightly higher quality components there would have prevented the problem.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #2,533 of 4,580
I'm a new K7XX owner (also own bass modded K702). Without commenting on the sound, which I like quite a bit, I totally hate the new headband. The headband on my Austrian K702 is wide and somewhat compliant; it lightly hugs the head. I know some hate the bumps. They don't bother me. OTOH, the K7XX headband is thin and stiff. I wear a XL helmet; the new headband looks like a rubber band on top of my head and feels like one, too. Maybe it'll break in. Seriously thinking of sending the cans to AKG for an older style K701/2 headband.

Edit: typo

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #2,534 of 4,580
I'm a new K7XX owner (also own bass modded K702). Without commenting on the sound, which I like quite a bit, I totally hate the new headband. The headband on my Austrian K702 is wide and somewhat compliant; it lightly hugs the head. I know some hate the bumps. They don't bother me. OTOH, the K7XX headband is thin and stiff. I wear a XL helmet; the new headband looks like a rubber band on top of my head and feels like one, too. Maybe it'll break in. Seriously thinking of sending the cans to AKG for an older style K701/2 headband.

Edit: typo

Wow, you're the first person I've seen that actually prefers the old bumpy versions lol... but then again, comfort is just completely subjective.

I have the K702 with the newer flat headband, which has no bumps yet still with the original width, so wider than the K7XX/Annies/K712 Headbands and pretty much the same as a K601 headband (with minimal leather grain texture underneath instead of being completely smooth). Anyways, since they are wider you may find them a bit more comfortable than the thinner ones of the newer models.

Jun 27, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #2,535 of 4,580
Wow, you're the first person I've seen that actually prefers the old bumpy versions lol... but then again, comfort is just completely subjective.

I have the K702 with the newer flat headband, which has no bumps yet still with the original width, so wider than the K7XX/Annies/K712 Headbands and pretty much the same as a K601 headband (with minimal leather grain texture underneath instead of being completely smooth). Anyways, since they are wider you may find them a bit more comfortable than the thinner ones of the newer models.

Good point. I'll look into it. Frankly, I prefer not having the bumps, but if they're there it's OK, too. If I can get a wide bumpless headband, well, I'd be thrilled. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back