The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
May 13, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #2,326 of 4,580
I live in the UK too and received mine in 6 days. This was during the first drop so it arrived just before Christmas and we all know how busy the postal service are at those time. Funny part is that it was sent as normal postage and not express or anything!

I don't want express delivery...I work night shifts and they usually bring the parcels with express delivery 6 in the morning...Or when I am out cold between 9-12...And then when I don't answer the doors for those instances they stuck the parcel in a "Local" post office which is either nowhere near me or in a mysterious location which cannot be found. :D Had my WASD keyboard placed in such post office, had to keep calling the post office to send it again. Not once did they think to change the delivery time. :D Stayed awake on my free day to receive it 7am in the morning on a saturday.

As far as I understood it they have a clever way of sending them to international locations, which avoids some extra travel time so to say.

May 13, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #2,327 of 4,580
  @Wildcatsare1, thank you for such a nice compliment! I greatly respect what tyll does so that means a lot to me.

beerchug.gif

@hakushondaimao, greatly appreciate your kudos on my review! I look forward to hearing your impressions on how the ath-r70 compare to the k7xx. the new audio-technica do look like quite an interesting pair of headphones.

But no seriously. Your review is off the hook. Really outstanding work!

May 14, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #2,330 of 4,580
  But no seriously. Your review is off the hook. Really outstanding work!

thanks darth fader!! glad you enjoyed reading it :)

That's something for headphones of questionable existence. I contacted AKG about them and they are "not familiar with that model, sorry". 

The K7xx is only available exclusively through Massdrop. (review in my signature w/ links & background information if you are interested)

May 14, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #2,333 of 4,580

Who exactly did you contact at AKG?  Do you think that if Massdrop is committing fraud with with different "fake" AKG models (the K7XX and the K553s) that AKG wouldn't have said or done something?

I contacted customer service, just like anyone else. I don't have any evidence of out-right fraud, not at all. I don't know why AKG would say they are not familiar with the model, that is strange on its own. It just seems something is not passing the smell test about Massdrop to me, that's all. Could be nothing, I don't know. I just prefer to pay a little more for someplace more reputable and that has product in stock or can get it back into stock if out.

May 14, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #2,334 of 4,580
  The K7xx is NOT available thru Massdrop and I'm questioning if it ever really was. (No reflection on you).
I also prefer to purchase product the manufacture is aware of.

not currently available, but 6 thousand units have been sold from here: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones?s=k7xx

the way massdrop works is through time-limited group buys, so you are right, you cannot pick up the k7xx as of this moment.

the k7xx is not available through akg and I don't find it surprising that a random sales rep is not aware of the exclusive limited edition item that is only available on massdrop. the k7xx is a variant based on the k702 65th anniversary edition that was additionally tuned by Massdrop. the product is a joint venture project between akg and massdrop.

here is an informative review video by an independent source (LinusTechTips): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg_ur7qmH4g

May 14, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #2,335 of 4,580
  I contacted customer service, just like anyone else. I don't have any evidence of out-right fraud, not at all. I don't know why AKG would say they are not familiar with the model, that is strange on its own. It just seems something is not passing the smell test about Massdrop to me, that's all. Could be nothing, I don't know. I just prefer to pay a little more for someplace more reputable and that has product in stock or can get it back into stock if out.

Fine, then leave the thread.  This headphone isn't available anywhere else.  But crapping on Massdrop and whatnot is getting tired. 

(Hrm, I guess since no one at Sony US knows about this old Walkman I have that was only sold in Japan, it doesn't exist....Sony Japan LIARS!)

May 14, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #2,338 of 4,580
  not currently available, but 6 thousand units have been sold from here: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones?s=k7xx

the way massdrop works is through time-limited group buys, so you are right, you cannot pick up the k7xx as of this moment.

the k7xx is not available through akg and I don't find it surprising that a random sales rep is not aware of the exclusive limited edition item that is only available on massdrop. the k7xx is a variant based on the k702 65th anniversary edition that was additionally tuned by Massdrop. the product is a joint venture project between akg and massdrop.

here is an informative review video by an independent source (LinusTechTips): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg_ur7qmH4g

That explains some of it. I asked Massdrop about this and they said that they just did the last drop on these and there will be no more. Also drop windows for such items are very short (less than 5 minutes and sometimes mere seconds) and stock is extremely limited. They say it pays to monitor the site 24/7. Well, some of us have jobs, sorry. 
So in my mind, massdrop is not the place for me. I'll make do fine with something else.

May 14, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #2,340 of 4,580
I'm not surprised a random sales rep would not be aware of the K7XX's existence, a sales rep's main concern would be with main line of products that are currently in production IN STORES, unless the said person just happens to be a massive AKG fan with a headphone hobby (let's not forget that AKG produces other products other than headphones) and/or is a real dedicated company guy-type. I bet that same sales rep wouldn't know about the K1000 or the older K340 E-stat/dynamic hybrid either... I bet the said guy would "swear that the K340 is an IEM", lol. Which is technically not wrong either but also not what you would be talking about 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back