The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
May 11, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #2,296 of 4,580
  That's true I suppose. Given your experience, how much better/different does the K7xx sound than the SHP9500? I recently jumped on that drop, but this one looks very tempting as well.

I like the SHP9500 for classical. They've pretty much replaced my HD598s for that. I use the K7XX for pretty much everything else. They complement each other nicely in that respect. Haven't had a lot of time to A/B them as I've been on a course the last while, but that's where my general impressions have led me.

May 11, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #2,297 of 4,580
Wow, that went fast.  REALLY fast.  I was number 3 just a couple of hours ago and it's done.  

My only worry is if I will regret not grabbing two pairs.  I got 2 pairs of the K553s.  One pair for me @ work, and another pair for my partner, who knows nothing about headphones.  I just hate seeing him listen to music on his laptop with a pair of $20 Sony plastic cans.  The reason I hesitated is that he'll be mad about the K553s even (he doesn't like "expensive" presents), and with these I wasn't 100% how they will work with just his laptop.  He listens to mostly jazz and orchestral music, so I think these would work better for him than the K553s, with the big open soundstage and all, but I didn't get a chance to ask how they would work just driven by a MacBook Pro.  And I figured if he threw too much of a fit about new headphones then he would be ok with  $120 (for the K553s) - he almost went for the ATH-M50x @ $99 when they were on Amazon.  $199 would be too much.

As far as my personal use, I listen to some orchestral music, but not a ton, and mostly EDM/chill/etc.  Not sure if these are ideal for that.  I just hate missing out on a great deal.  They look great, could make great gaming headphones if I can ever figure out a wireless setup for my PS4 that would let me use them (even though the SteelSeries wireless I have don't totally suck)...it's only a little bit of money, right? :)

May 11, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #2,298 of 4,580
All sold
triportsad.gif
  Tried to get a second one for my girlfriend, lol

May 11, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #2,299 of 4,580
Wow, that went fast.  REALLY fast.  I was number 3 just a couple of hours ago and it's done.  

My only worry is if I will regret not grabbing two pairs.  I got 2 pairs of the K553s.  One pair for me @ work, and another pair for my partner, who knows nothing about headphones.  I just hate seeing him listen to music on his laptop with a pair of $20 Sony plastic cans.  The reason I hesitated is that he'll be mad about the K553s even (he doesn't like "expensive" presents), and with these I wasn't 100% how they will work with just his laptop.  He listens to mostly jazz and orchestral music, so I think these would work better for him than the K553s, with the big open soundstage and all, but I didn't get a chance to ask how they would work just driven by a MacBook Pro.  And I figured if he threw too much of a fit about new headphones then he would be ok with  $120 (for the K553s) - he almost went for the ATH-M50x @ $99 when they were on Amazon.  $199 would be too much.

As far as my personal use, I listen to some orchestral music, but not a ton, and mostly EDM/chill/etc.  Not sure if these are ideal for that.  I just hate missing out on a great deal.  They look great, could make great gaming headphones if I can ever figure out a wireless setup for my PS4 that would let me use them (even though the SteelSeries wireless I have don't totally suck)...it's only a little bit of money, right? :)
Just from the MacBook Pro alone, it really doesn't shine. You'll definitely want a good amp to take advantage of these cans. I also use it for my PS4 and it works AMAZING! When listening to EDM, the bass is definitely lacking, for me anyway. It doesn't have the "slam" like closed-back headphones or planers but I can't complain for the price.

May 11, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #2,300 of 4,580
Just from the MacBook Pro alone, it really doesn't shine. You'll definitely want a good amp to take advantage of these cans. I also use it for my PS4 and it works AMAZING! When listening to EDM, the bass is definitely lacking, for me anyway. It doesn't have the "slam" like closed-back headphones or planers but I can't complain for the price.

Especially "for the price", I suppose.  But even in gaming I like my bass.  When I hit something with my Gjallarhorn I want to feel that...

But as I said, until something like the wireless mixamp that Astro used to make comes back, these will be for music.  We'll see how they do.  If I don't love them then I'll be all like "What's something that sounds as good with more bass?"  And then y'all be like "Headphone foo" and "Headphone foo" will be way more than $200.

May 11, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #2,301 of 4,580
So I saw the Massdrop for the remaining K7xx's around 10:30 PM (Central standard time) with 6 purchases, and I check back less than two hours at 12:00 PM and see it sold out, with 129 people asking for it again (I believe that the requests reset after the drop).

May 11, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #2,302 of 4,580
Especially "for the price", I suppose.  But even in gaming I like my bass.  When I hit something with my Gjallarhorn I want to feel that...

But as I said, until something like the wireless mixamp that Astro used to make comes back, these will be for music.  We'll see how they do.  If I don't love them then I'll be all like "What's something that sounds as good with more bass?"  And then y'all be like "Headphone foo" and "Headphone foo" will be way more than $200.
In that case, the Audiotechnica ATH-AD700X would be better. I use those for "normal" gaming and the K7XX for "soundwhoring." If you have a Turtle Beach DSS2, you could connect it to your PS4/Xbox One controller and get surround from it that way just through the 3.5mm jack. It won't match up to the Astro's but still decent sound.

May 11, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #2,303 of 4,580
In that case, the Audiotechnica ATH-AD700X would be better. I use those for "normal" gaming and the K7XX for "soundwhoring." If you have a Turtle Beach DSS2, you could connect it to your PS4/Xbox One controller and get surround from it that way just through the 3.5mm jack. It won't match up to the Astro's but still decent sound.

If by "the Astros" you mean the A50s - they sound like crap. :)  I got the Steelseries because they were way less offensive.  Without derailing the thread too much (there's a good gaming headset thread) I want the Mixamp 5.8 - which they don't make anymore.  (I need a wireless gaming solution).

For these, I imagine a Magni2/Modi2 stack on my side table by the couch, with my iPhone plugged in, so I can listen to pretty damn good sounding music.  We'll see what I think.

May 11, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #2,304 of 4,580
If by "the Astros" you mean the A50s - they sound like crap. :)  I got the Steelseries because they were way less offensive.  Without derailing the thread too much (there's a good gaming headset thread) I want the Mixamp 5.8 - which they don't make anymore.  (I need a wireless gaming solution).

For these, I imagine a Magni2/Modi2 stack on my side table by the couch, with my iPhone plugged in, so I can listen to pretty damn good sounding music.  We'll see what I think.
I was kinda referring to the MixAmp Pro but the headsets itself, the A40 and the A50 sound crap to me. I personally just connect it to Objective 2 or the original Schiit Magni. Not really a fan of virtual surround really but everyone has different taste and requirement :3

May 11, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #2,305 of 4,580

On the one hand you say don't be on the fence, on the other hand you say do your research - given the time pressure both are not possible.

I'm not 100% sure, but hell I pulled the trigger.  Why not see what they're about?  As this thread has clearly indicated, at $199 I could probably unload them at a profit if need be, and minimal loss at the worst.

Yep... but don't sell em on HERE if you're looking to make a profit.(in case you're not aware of HeadFi's seller policy) I truly believe you'll be quite pleased with them. Enjoy!

May 11, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #2,306 of 4,580
  Yep... but don't sell em on HERE if you're looking to make a profit.(in case you're not aware of HeadFi's seller policy) I truly believe you'll be quite pleased with them. Enjoy!

Yes, I am well aware of said policy.  The most I would sell them for ON HERE is $214.99 + shipping, which is what I paid.  (Sadly, being in CA like Massdrop is, I pay tax.)  And given how many people are bummed they missed out, like I said, I doubt I'd be out anything but time.

May 11, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #2,307 of 4,580
  So I saw the Massdrop for the remaining K7xx's around 10:30 PM (Central standard time) with 6 purchases, and I check back less than two hours at 12:00 PM and see it sold out, with 129 people asking for it again (I believe that the requests reset after the drop).

It's nuts how in demand these headphones are.  But I guess people are crazy for the heaviest, bassiest AKG besides the K812.  And at the unreal price, I cant blame them.  This is a darker, more laid back AKG, that still has just enough of that spacious "AKG AIR" to not betray its heritage.

May 11, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #2,308 of 4,580

It's nuts how in demand these headphones are.  But I guess people are crazy for the heaviest, bassiest AKG besides the K812.  And at the unreal price, I cant blame them.  This is a darker, more laid back AKG, that still has just enough of that spacious "AKG AIR" to not betray its heritage.

Yeah, these headphones are selling like crazy. If you go to the Massdrop discussion thread, the entire front page is filled with people who didn't even get the chance to see the "Join Now" button and almost 500 requests for the product less than 6 hours later. I'm thinking the fact that the 7xx was limited edition (technically first edition) definitely helped at least a few purchases(as there were quite a few people asking for dac/amp recommendations).

There are some people hoping that AKG will make another headphone like the 7xx because it's called the "first edition." Anyone have some thoughts on that?

May 11, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #2,309 of 4,580
Yeah, these headphones are selling like crazy. If you go to the Massdrop discussion thread, the entire front page is filled with people who didn't even get the chance to see the "Join Now" button and almost 500 requests for the product less than 6 hours later. I'm thinking the fact that the 7xx was limited edition (technically first edition) definitely helped at least a few purchases(as there were quite a few people asking for dac/amp recommendations).

There are some people hoping that AKG will make another headphone like the 7xx because it's called the "first edition." Anyone have some thoughts on that?
Wouldn't be surprised if they brought out a "Second Edition" that's identical to the First Edition without the serial numbers or something that's tuned slightly different.

May 11, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #2,310 of 4,580
It's back on massdrop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back