The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
May 14, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #2,342 of 4,580
  I'm not surprised a random sales rep would not be aware of the K7XX's existence, a sales rep's main concern would be with main line of products that are currently in production IN STORES, unless the said person just happens to be a massive AKG fan with a headphone hobby (let's not forget that AKG produces other products other than headphones) and/or is a real dedicated company guy-type. I bet that same sales rep wouldn't know about a K1000 or the older K340 E-stat/dynamic hybrid either... I bet the said guy would "swear that a K340 is an IEM", lol. Which is technically not wrong either but also not what you would be talking about 
tongue.gif

Yeah, makes sense.

May 14, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #2,343 of 4,580
The K7xx is NOT available thru Massdrop and I'm questioning if it ever really was. (No reflection on you).
I also prefer to purchase product the manufacture is aware of.

I bought one there just a few days back, one of the 600 last pieces....

Edit: saw your responses, all good then. Cheers.

May 14, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #2,344 of 4,580
Looking at this thread, comparing all the different versions:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/752994/my-akg-comparison-k7xx-k712-65th-annies-and-the-rest-to-stop-this-confusion

I found myself wondering...just how good of a deal are these?  I mean the K702 65ths were pricy, but can't you get the Q701s for about the same price right now?  

May 14, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #2,345 of 4,580
  I guess the rep I spoke with did not know. Ok, that makes sense.

If you would read the beginning of the thread, or the Massdrop page on them, this was all in there.  

In 2012, AKG released the 65th anniversary edition of their K702 to instant acclaim. Built with a bass boost, improved comfort, and matched transducers, the limited edition K702 became a legend in the audiophile community for its sound and build quality. Following the success of the Q701 drop in June, we asked AKG if we could configure our own edition of the K702 65th, and they agreed based on their faith in the Massdrop community. Configured by Massdrop, manufactured by AKG, and made possible by you, the AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Headphones bring you rare sound at an even rarer price.
Note: These are the final 200 First Edition units, so act quickly to secure your pair! These are at our fulfillment center and will ship soon after the end of the drop.

May 14, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #2,346 of 4,580
  Looking at this thread, comparing all the different versions:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/752994/my-akg-comparison-k7xx-k712-65th-annies-and-the-rest-to-stop-this-confusion

I found myself wondering...just how good of a deal are these?  I mean the K702 65ths were pricy, but can't you get the Q701s for about the same price right now?  

It's a decent deal considering that the newer Anniversary/K712/K7XX memory foam (gel?) pads are quite costly on their own, so even if the Q701s and the K7XX were exactly the same when you take pads out of the equation (and many do feel that they also have other differences otherwise), the cost of getting the K7XX pads with Q701's separately would cost much more than just getting a K7XX.  There's also the K712's which are reportedly very, very similar to the K7XX's which cost much more than the 7XX at their MSRP or even at their discounted prices.

So if one was to look at things hardware wise, it's probably not that great of a deal (as most of the components are the same sans the pads and the headband) but sonically many (I'd go even far as to say the majority, from what I've seen) would feel that it's a great deal for something that would cost much more otherwise... (though I actually personally don't, as I prefer the older angled style K/Q series firm pads sonically)

May 14, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #2,347 of 4,580

The drop as they call it which frankly sounds ridiculous, it is a buy, OK got that out, The drop prior to this last 200 or 600 or whatever it was -was large enough and over several days that a slow oaf such as myself, was able to buy one and did.  So I argue that if you wanted one as little as a few months ago you could have had one.
I really don't understand why Massdrop and AKG wouldn't organize another drop in the future.  If there is a demand for it, why not?  Is it made out of some unrenewable resource? doesn't make sense to me!

May 14, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #2,348 of 4,580
  The drop as they call it which frankly sounds ridiculous, it is a buy, OK got that out, The drop prior to this last 200 or 600 or whatever it was -was large enough and over several days that a slow oaf such as myself, was able to buy one and did.  So I argue that if you wanted one as little as a few months ago you could have had one.
I really don't understand why Massdrop and AKG wouldn't organize another drop in the future.  If there is a demand for it, why not?  Is it made out of some unrenewable resource? doesn't make sense to me!

well, I think that there will not be an additional "1st edition" AKG K7xx drop as that was a special limited edition. There may be future AKG K7xx drops (either 2nd edition or no-special edition tag afterwards), but will depend on demand along with other factors.

May 14, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #2,349 of 4,580

Maybe due to possible cannibalization eating into the potential K712 sales? From many reports people do find some differences between the K712 and the K7XX and while I've heard neither (but have owned and heard the Annies) thus can't say that for myself personally, I've also read that they're very similar to each other for the most part...so perhaps there may be concern there.

May 14, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #2,350 of 4,580
"In 2012, AKG released the 65th anniversary edition of their K702 to instant acclaim. Built with a bass boost, improved comfort, and matched transducers, the limited edition K702 became a legend in the audiophile community for its sound and build quality. Following the success of the Q701 drop in June, we asked AKG if we could configure our own edition of the K702 65th, and they agreed based on their faith in the Massdrop community. Configured by Massdrop, manufactured by AKG, and made possible by you, the AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Headphones bring you rare sound at an even rarer price.
Note: These are the final 200 First Edition units, so act quickly to secure your pair! These are at our fulfillment center and will ship soon after the end of the drop."

Oh, I see. So these were modded......well, no, not really modded because AKG agreed to build 6k of them apparently.
Not available any way but through massdrop which is not a good place for working folk like me to purchase from because you have to be on 24/7 to catch anything. Explains many blank stares at AKG except for those who happen to be enthusiasts or what have you.
I only learned of these headphones a month and a half ago maybe. Not being able to try headphones before buying, it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money on something I would seldom use anyway. 

So, with that in mind, why not make my own....sort of?

May 14, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #2,351 of 4,580

Fair enough!
I actually wanted something that sounded like the K701s I had owned 8 or more years ago and these were quite a surprise.  I like them for what they are and have Sennheiser HD700s for more detail.

May 14, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #2,352 of 4,580
Well, Massdrop does have email alert feature when a requested drop takes place. On a finished drop there is a request button you can click that will notify the next time a drop hits. Granted the already dropped item list isn't exactly the section that one can most intuitively navigate to (you have to go to the Active drops/vote section, go to Audiophile section in the side bar, drop down the list until you see finished drops)... but this last particular drop of the K7XX's were a special case where they only had very little units available thus they sold out literally within couple hours (due to their massive popularity)... this doesn't usually happen with most items from what I've seen, and the past K7XX drops lasted for days/weeks IIRC.

May 14, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #2,353 of 4,580

Fair enough!
I actually wanted something that sounded like the K701s I had owned 8 or more years ago and these were quite a surprise.  I like them for what they are and have Sennheiser HD700s for more detail.

I'd like the HD700s better I think, but I'll never own a pair, too expensive.

I'm thinking of trying to build me own K7xxs by getting the 701s and putting the pads used on the k7xxx on them. If rumors are true that is what was really going on mostly with the K7xxs.

May 14, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #2,354 of 4,580
  I'd like the HD700s better I think, but I'll never own a pair, too expensive.

I'm thinking of trying to build me own K7xxs by getting the 701s and putting the pads used on the k7xxx on them. If rumors are true that is what was really going on mostly with the K7xxs.

If you'd like to go this route it'll be most economical to go with the Q701's (unless you think you'd find the headband bumps to be an issue) as the Q's on average tend to be much cheaper than the regular K series units... that is unless you don't mind getting used Q/K units, but if you're willing to go the route of used units you may as well just get the K7XX that can be often seen sold on the buy/sell forums here instead.

K712/K7XX/Annie style memory foam pads can be bought from AKG directly, though they may not have them in stock right away you should be able to buy them separately. 

Though by this point I'd wonder how much of a price difference between the K/Q701 + separate memory foam pads vs. the K712 would be... although if you go the K/Q701 + separate pads route you'll have the benefit of having an additional set of standard K/Q spring foam (and likely angled, though not always) pads.

May 16, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #2,355 of 4,580
Just took this mere seconds ago. Yes, they do indeed exist. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back