The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 18, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #2,011 of 4,580
What is up with all the posts that begin with something to the effect like, "I listened to these for one minute out of a can opener" before venturing on penning some analysis of their sound? There must be hundreds of them on this thread now, only to never be followed up by in-depth posts later that actually dig deep into their impressions of the headphones.I have never seen a thread on this site where so many people were so quick to post conclusions immediately upon receiving the headphone, with absolutely nothing to drive them with--posts that can potentially sway someone's opinion on the how these sound. 

It would be unique if someone actually took some time first, with at least some gear that can drive them, before lapsing into generalizations and vague memories. This is increasingly an issue on this site, to be sure, which makes it extremely difficult to parse through the valuable insight through the noise, but this thread "takes the cake" thus far. 

/end rant

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #2,012 of 4,580
What is up with all the posts that begin with something to the effect like, "I listened to these for one minute out of a can opener" before venturing on penning some analysis of their sound? There must be hundreds of them on this thread now, only to never be followed up by in-depth posts later that actually dig deep into their impressions of the headphones.I have never seen a thread on this site where so many people were so quick to post conclusions immediately upon receiving the headphone, with absolutely nothing to drive them with--posts that can potentially sway someone's opinion on the how these sound. 

It would be unique if someone actually took some time first, with at least some gear that can drive them, before lapsing into generalizations and vague memories. This is increasingly an issue on this site, to be sure, which makes it extremely difficult to parse through the valuable insight through the noise, but this thread "takes the cake" thus far. 

/end rant

Yep. That's about right. I think these are easily $400 cans in their own right, and you can't just plug them into your phone or Clip+ and get their full benefit. Even a relatively cheap FiiO E18 or similar is enough (I have one and it's a fine little portable amp).

Hey, another Knoxville Head-Fier, cool. :cool:

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #2,013 of 4,580

/end rant

Well said.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #2,014 of 4,580
Ordered these off massdrop based on a recommendation here.  Reading this thread I guess I'll need to get an amp/DAC.  I was thinking of getting the FiiO E10k, based on other reviews.  What do folks think of those, will they do the trick?  I'm going to mostly be listening to these on my computer at work.  My other headphones are Sony MDR 7506, ATH-M50, and Sennheiser 598, which were all low impedance enough that I didn't need an amp.

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #2,015 of 4,580
  Ordered these off massdrop based on a recommendation here.  Reading this thread I guess I'll need to get an amp/DAC.  I was thinking of getting the FiiO E10k, based on other reviews.  What do folks think of those, will they do the trick?  I'm going to mostly be listening to these on my computer at work.  My other headphones are Sony MDR 7506, ATH-M50, and Sennheiser 598, which were all low impedance enough that I didn't need an amp.

I'm not sure what everyone is driving their new K7XX's with but I had John over at JDS build me a custom CMOY BB taylored to my 702's and I'm completely happy and must agree with Magick that the K7XX's are probably a $400 set of can's because my 702's are worth every penny of the $249 I paid for mine and would be worth their full retail asking price. You would not say that if you were driving either pair with just your iPhone?Smartphone or low power iem amps. I can tell you my new Toppings NX2 is very lean on my 702's but will absolutely rock my Klipsch S4 iem's. 

I also agree with Liu, just because you have an account and avatar does not mean you can review! I myself will post impressions out the box and down the road after some brea in time but they are general observations and nothing more. I leave the real reviewing to those who are on their devices daily and really get down to the minute details of all the great choices we have the chance to have. If you seriously like to listen to your music on a higher level you can figure out those who know out here and then hopefully you make good choices. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #2,016 of 4,580

/end rant
you haven't read enough threads around here, then. sadly, this kind of initial impression BS exists for almost every new device that comes out.

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #2,017 of 4,580
  I'm not sure what everyone is driving their new K7XX's with but I had John over at JDS build me a custom CMOY BB taylored to my 702's and I'm completely happy and must agree with Magick that the K7XX's are probably a $400 set of can's because my 702's are worth every penny of the $249 I paid for mine and would be worth their full retail asking price. You would not say that if you were driving either pair with just your iPhone?Smartphone or low power iem amps. I can tell you my new Toppings NX2 is very lean on my 702's but will absolutely rock my Klipsch S4 iem's. 

I also agree with Liu, just because you have an account and avatar does not mean you can review! I myself will post impressions out the box and down the road after some brea in time but they are general observations and nothing more. I leave the real reviewing to those who are on their devices daily and really get down to the minute details of all the great choices we have the chance to have. If you seriously like to listen to your music on a higher level you can figure out those who know out here and then hopefully you make good choices. 

LoL, I'm getting the feeling I'm out of my depth.

So um.... FiiO E10K.... sufficient or should I return it when it arrives and get something else?  Based on my computer's sound card I think I need a DAC.

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #2,018 of 4,580
I don't own the FiiO or any FiiO outside their LOD. Maybe someone elae can advise you on that. If you are going to use them for desktop you might consider a nice desktop amp and dac combo.

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #2,019 of 4,580

LoL, I'm getting the feeling I'm out of my depth.

So um.... FiiO E10K.... sufficient or should I return it when it arrives and get something else?  Based on my computer's sound card I think I need a DAC.

The E10K will be sufficient. They won't be pushing the K7XX to their max but they will still sound very good. I am using an E11K which sound great to me. If you really want to get 100% out of the K7XX, I've heard they pair well with a hybrid tube amp. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #2,020 of 4,580
My friend has a E10K and recently got a Q701, and he gets very loud volume on 3 1/2 to 4 on the volume dial (out of 8 I think) on high gain, so volume wise I can say that you definitely will get more than enough. It sounded decent enough with Q701 but with K7xx can't say from experience.

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #2,022 of 4,580
  I have a pair that I bought on a whim back on the first massdrop offering.  After a few hours my right driver rattle excessively with tracks that have any sort of bass track.

Easiest song I have found it on is: DJ Tiesto - Battleship Grey
It's definitely not the source because it is a flac rip that I have listened to on my hd650's and K701s for almost three years.
Running a Yulong D100 > Schiit Lyr currently for testing - it is very noticeable.

I sent a request into massdrop to see if they are offering replacement, hopefully I can get them swapped out, otherwise I like the slight difference when compared to my K701's. The K7XX"s seem to be more of a go-to daily choice for me.  Relaxing to listen to.

Just an update:  I tried using a qtip and pushing against the plastic slightly to fix the rattle, nothing I did made it go away.
They are replacing them for me, so hopefully I'll have a new set in a week or so.

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #2,024 of 4,580
My headphones came in awhile back, and I've been enjoying them so far. I have a low serial number, and didn't experience any of the issues I've heard others have had. This is sort of a new hobby for me, so there's a lot of unknowns and I've been trying to read as much as I can to make informed decisions. Currently, I have no dac/amp and am pretty sure the sound is integrated into my motherboard. I do most of my listening either on my computer, (plugged into my Corsair SP2500) or from my portable devises (Samsung Galaxy Tab S, or Note 4). My daughter is also listens quite a bit, and uses an iphone 5. Right now, I'm mainly using pandora as a source, and I'm not even sure if that's adequate? It seems to sound ok, but really I wouldn't know what I don't know. I have no idea what the headphone are capable of, and how much benefit I'm going to get out of getting a dac/amp.

Originally, I was going to get some of the Schiit products. Did a good deal of research, and like the company. However, they're not very portable and I would get the most out of a more flexible solution which makes it easier to justify the purchase for me. Doubly so since I'm not sure how much of an improvement in audio quality I'm going to get. I've looked over a few options, up to around $300 USD. Realistically, would I hear a difference with my set up, between something like the Fiio E17k, vs something like the Oppo HA-2? Would I need to also upgrade to higher quality audio files? (That becomes hard for me because I listen to a lot of metal, and haven't found much in the hi-res side). 

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #2,025 of 4,580
My headphones came in awhile back, and I've been enjoying them so far. I have a low serial number, and didn't experience any of the issues I've heard others have had. This is sort of a new hobby for me, so there's a lot of unknowns and I've been trying to read as much as I can to make informed decisions. Currently, I have no dac/amp and am pretty sure the sound is integrated into my motherboard. I do most of my listening either on my computer, (plugged into my Corsair SP2500) or from my portable devises (Samsung Galaxy Tab S, or Note 4). My daughter is also listens quite a bit, and uses an iphone 5. Right now, I'm mainly using pandora as a source, and I'm not even sure if that's adequate? It seems to sound ok, but really I wouldn't know what I don't know. I have no idea what the headphone are capable of, and how much benefit I'm going to get out of getting a dac/amp.

Originally, I was going to get some of the Schiit products. Did a good deal of research, and like the company. However, they're not very portable and I would get the most out of a more flexible solution which makes it easier to justify the purchase for me. Doubly so since I'm not sure how much of an improvement in audio quality I'm going to get. I've looked over a few options, up to around $300 USD. Realistically, would I hear a difference with my set up, between something like the Fiio E17k, vs something like the Oppo HA-2? Would I need to also upgrade to higher quality audio files? (That becomes hard for me because I listen to a lot of metal, and haven't found much in the hi-res side). 
both of those are good solutions, personally i would go with the oppo ha2 since its so beautifully crafted. And sound is better (subjective) of course. However there's sites that have metal. Best bet is to shop for your music first see if you can find an adequate source/s cause point wasting time and money searching for dac/amp if you have nothing to play on it. Note 4 has a decent dac i, might just need an amp. I just went with a cayin.c5 amp and my fiio x1 dap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back