The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 28, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #1,442 of 4,580
My o my, days down the road from when i joined on the final week of november '14. I of course havent received mine due to being in the second batch, it was nice to read that the QC got stepped up and this batch shouldnt contain any factory defects.

Ive come to ask, considering the "bonus" units and the re-opening of the drop. If i should purchase a second pair so that near mid-end Feb ill have 2 sets, 1 to keep stock, and 1 to mod.

Also i havent exactly checked all 97 pages, or if there is some kind of appreciation thread or anything.

Would anyone mind linking a couple known mods for the K7xx so i may have things to weigh in my head over my quandary.

The thought of spending 400$ for 2 sets of "good" cans is soo enticing, I know these fall short in certain "areas" id much rather just own two of these and mod one to sound how ever i can tune them via given mods. Over getting a 400$ headphone that presents little to no improvement granted most are reference headphones anyways and the HD 650/600 are pretty solid choices i even hear murmurs of the X2.

My point is those arent exactly going anywhere, and the K7xx are limited production so id like to coddle them lol as well as the fact that they present a limited production "sound signature" that is only presented by the K7XX themselves im rather in favor of a not exactly "neutral" reference headphone as opposed to the sen hd 600/650 which apparently are lacking in bass, and the X2 arent exactly fully open backed though i am keeping an eye on them.

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #1,443 of 4,580
  Anyone know how these compare to a DT880 600?

-A snippit from a YT unboxing I watched-

I've got both and would concur overall with that comparison. The K7XX have a warmer, fuller, more enveloping sound that is really enticing and great for long haul listening. But as others have mentioned there is a slight graininess to the details and upper end. For me, this comes through as an emphasis on slight distortions/anomalies inherent in certain recordings that causes them to be a bit more noticeable (or rather, incongruous with the recording), enough that on a several occasions I thought that I was hearing a problem with the cans or amp. Switching to different cans, like the DT880, made me realize it was just in the recording, but I couldn't quite make that out with the K7XX.

The DT880 has a very open and clean top end which, coupled with the lean tight bass, some may perceive as overly bright sounding and even fatiguing. I've not totally taken to the DT880, wishing that they had slightly more bass and warmth, but I do appreciate the grain-free detail and soundstage they provide.

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #1,444 of 4,580
  That's 1 in 40 chance of getting one. Should I roll the dice? Any reason other than bang for you buck?

1/40 yes in the first batch, apparently QC got stepped up and out of this second batch. There will be no dice rolling as all units have been apparently thoroughly tested in order to prevent any defective headphones being sent out.

bang for buck in a sense that in the "bang for buck" realm of headphone options these do present a rather low draw back factor, over other "bang for buck" headphones fill in the blank for what yours might be, for me the hd598, q701, fidelio x1, and DT770 and so on you get the idea. I weighed the cons of this specific headphone and am willing to over look them as well as implement some counter measures that have been pointed out.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #1,446 of 4,580

The thought of spending 400$ for 2 sets of "good" cans is soo enticing, I know these fall short in certain "areas" id much rather just own two of these and mod one to sound how ever i can tune them via given mods.

I've been contemplating getting a second pair as well so that I can mod one or both. Really want to try a balanced Y-cable mod that bypasses those hoops to the right driver. Figured I could swap parts between a pair so that one will have XLR inputs on both sides, and then just hardwire the other pair. Worth another $200... perhaps.

For fun, I just tried removing the outer caps and found they come off quite easily using an unbent paper clip. Just be careful to insert the wire straight into the holes and apply equal force counterclockwise - I slightly deformed one of the tiny plastic holes, but not enough that anyone except me would probably notice. I'm listening now without these covers.

Here's the cover removed, showing the foam disc behind the plastic grille:

Left cable side of the cans... you can clearly see where wires for the right channel are soldered to the hoop posts:

Right side of the cans... again, you can see where the wires to the right driver are soldered to the hoop posts:

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #1,447 of 4,580
Instead of starting a new thread I figured I would chime in here:

Two months ago I missed the K7xx drop and told myself that it would be my next headphone when they become available again. Then yesterday I get an email saying that there are roughly 800 units available. Immidiatly I went to mass drop (300 already sold at this point). I fill in my CC information and am ready to pull the trigger. What a bargin these are. So why didn't I buy them?

Because two weeks ago I heard the HD650's in the store. I know they are twice as expensive, but I realized that no matter what headphone I would buy at the $200 price point it would only postpone my HD650 purchase. I understand allot of people like to collect headphones, like knives or guns, and that is fine. But if you are like me and you just want to find that one headphone that you are happy with I would highly suggest you go to a store and listen to headphones. Picking the one you like, instead of being convinced by the hype generated online. Don't get me wrong, I am sure the K7XX are very nice headphones, but to me the risk of not having heard them was too high, plus I already identified the HD650s to be near perfect for me. So instead of buying a decent phone, I choose to safe up my money hoping that the HD650s will satisfy my headphone needs and this hi-fi thing doesn't spiral into a collecting hobby as has happened so many times in the past with other things.

Just my two cents, for all of those who missed the drop or aren't sure if they want to participate.

-T

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #1,448 of 4,580

There is no "issue". It was 50 units out of 2000, not a really significant amount. Plus they tightened up QC.

1/40 yes in the first batch, apparently QC got stepped up and out of this second batch. There will be no dice rolling as all units have been apparently thoroughly tested in order to prevent any defective headphones being sent out.

bang for buck in a sense that in the "bang for buck" realm of headphone options these do present a rather low draw back factor, over other "bang for buck" headphones fill in the blank for what yours might be, for me the hd598, q701, fidelio x1, and DT770 and so on you get the idea. I weighed the cons of this specific headphone and am willing to over look them as well as implement some counter measures that have been pointed out.

They haven't tighten up QC. The second batch already shipped from the AKG plant when the rattle issue was discovered. They might make changes for the third batch if AKG can find a solution to the rattling. The 50 units were the number of HP returned with the rattle problem. There could be many more that don't know about it to send it back since they don't follow the discussion after making their purchase.

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,450 of 4,580
  @superballz00 read what @money4me247 posted in this thread at post #1390
This is getting old. Again. I won't repeat that all over again.

Where does it say that the QC was improved for the second batch? That batch left the plant before AKG was notified about the rattle problem. The second batch will probably have the same rattle problem as the first batch and that is why MD is offering exchanges for those affected. Can you point me to where it states that AKG improved their QC for the second batch because I sure can't find it.

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #1,451 of 4,580
Geez guys, we are talking about a $400 can for $200 with free shipping. If you are domestic returning will not be a big deal. If I could buy a second pair I would in a heart beat, this is a no brainer and 2-3% failure rate is not really anything to worry about. Just get your order in before they are gone - I would if I lived in the US!!

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #1,453 of 4,580
Quote:
  Instead of starting a new thread I figured I would chime in here:

Two months ago I missed the K7xx drop and told myself that it would be my next headphone when they become available again. Then yesterday I get an email saying that there are roughly 800 units available. Immidiatly I went to mass drop (300 already sold at this point). I fill in my CC information and am ready to pull the trigger. What a bargin these are. So why didn't I buy them?

Because two weeks ago I heard the HD650's in the store. I know they are twice as expensive, but I realized that no matter what headphone I would buy at the $200 price point it would only postpone my HD650 purchase. I understand allot of people like to collect headphones, like knives or guns, and that is fine. But if you are like me and you just want to find that one headphone that you are happy with I would highly suggest you go to a store and listen to headphones. Picking the one you like, instead of being convinced by the hype generated online. Don't get me wrong, I am sure the K7XX are very nice headphones, but to me the risk of not having heard them was too high, plus I already identified the HD650s to be near perfect for me. So instead of buying a decent phone, I choose to safe up my money hoping that the HD650s will satisfy my headphone needs and this hi-fi thing doesn't spiral into a collecting hobby as has happened so many times in the past with other things.

Just my two cents, for all of those who missed the drop or aren't sure if they want to participate.

-T

good thing you waited.

HD650's for 300 and hd600s for 250.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7626070-sennheiser-hd650-audiophile-open-headphones-299-99-with-free-shipping-back-again

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #1,454 of 4,580
You started they improved the QC for the second batch when they clearly haven't. MD will have to give exchanges to people because of AKG's screw up. Stop making false statements and tricking people into thinking the problem is resolved for the second batch when it is not. MD clearly saids that the QC problem wasn't resolved for the second batch because it was shipped before the problem was brought to AKG. This makes everything I stated above as the truth while everything you stated is just plain false conjecture.

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #1,455 of 4,580
You started they improved the QC for the second batch when they clearly haven't. MD will have to give exchanges to people because of AKG's screw up. Stop making false statements and tricking people into thinking the problem is resolved for the second batch when it is not. MD clearly saids that the QC problem wasn't resolved for the second batch because it was shipped before the problem was brought to AKG. This makes everything I stated above as the truth while everything you stated is just plain false conjecture.

Pat yourself on the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back