The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 27, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #1,426 of 4,580
  K712 or K7XX for female vocals/instrumental/OST music?

Consensus seems to suggest that the K7XX is a continuation of the K702 65th and both should be more similar than different, compared to the K712, which *might* have more mid and bass (and possibly a different driver).  Since I got my K712 I've been listening to them almost every free moment I have at home.  I don't think they are as "airy" as my K701s were but they definitely have more below 1K Hz, overall feeling perhaps more balanced to my ears.  

For my female vocals I have enjoyed listening to the following, for reference, and these headphones don't leave me thinking they are missing anything:

--  Diana Krall ("Live in Paris" sounds like a very intimate venue with seating close to the stage)
--  Ana Caram "Blue Bossa" (one of my few HDTracks 24/96 recordings) has her voice set further back into a very well rounded sound stage with great placement
--  Mary J. Blige "Breakthrough" is a very bassy album with the K712 but when the producer let's her voice become the star, they shine beautifully
--  Little Dragon (Yukimi Nagano), "Little Man" and "Forever", live, really let her voice splash playfully up and down the scale, and is easily the featured instrument on these tracks.

Instrumental:  Most of my listening would be pretty instrumental intensive, from jazz to classical (I own multiple recordings of Vivaldi's Four Seasons, for example), to electronica.  Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, Sphongle, Kroke ("Live At Home" is one of my favorite live recordings), all sound awesome.

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #1,427 of 4,580
The HD600 is a better HP if you're after a flat FR. It has more detail in the mids and highs, making it more airy and open than the K7XX. The K7XX is nothing like the old K701 and K702. It is a little heavy in the mid bass and upper bass. The dip between 3k-5k hurts vocals, which older AKGs are great at. The K7XX also lack the air and wide soundstage that the K70x are known for. They are more like the HD650 but with inferior vocals.

Thanks superballz00, think you just saved me $200 bucks lol. Tamed that itch just enough from hitting that BUY button.

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #1,431 of 4,580
I wonder if there's even a point to owning these headphones beyond trying them out after buying the X2's not even a month ago.

Probably not, but then if we were capable of rational arguments that limited our urge to spend on audio tech, we probably wouldn't be on here (cue the all-too-familiar "how many headphones do you need?" question from my sane family members :p )

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #1,433 of 4,580
Honestly, I still miss my x1 that I sold, even though I now own the k7xx. I feel like having both would complement each other. I'm still going to get an X2 down the road because" dat bass"

lol!  That's basically me.  I'll end up with X2's sooner or later, but the 7XX is a bit more of an exotic animal and I just couldn't resist at that price.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #1,434 of 4,580
Honestly, I still miss my x1 that I sold, even though I now own the k7xx. I feel like having both would complement each other. I'm still going to get an X2 down the road because" dat bass"

How is the bass on th 7xx? Would it do well with old school hip hop and edm?

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #1,435 of 4,580
How is the bass on th 7xx? Would it do well with old school hip hop and edm?

If I compare both the X1/X2 to the K7XX, the X2 would do better for old school hip hop and EDM. The bass is there with the K7XX but sounds more natural and a bit flat I think, not as punchy as the X1/X2 bass or as deep. The bass in the K7XX when used in Movies, still gives you that immersion and the presence of the bass is there, being controlled as well.

This is in my opinion and how it sounds to me.

But honestly, I have listened to some EDM and some Hip Hop with my K7XX and it sounds good but it needs more bass for that type of music, because really....that's mainly why we like that music....the bass lol

So if you are really wanting something specific towards that type of music, I would go with the X1/X2...probably even more so with the X1 since it does have a bit more bass than the Xw, just a bit more since from what I have read about the X2, has a bit less bass, it became a bit more controlled. Not sure if for a first timer with an X2 would notice the difference but I might notice it right away since I owned the X1 before.

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #1,436 of 4,580
Glad you mentioned the X2.  They are likely my next purchase after my wallet recovers from this latest 7XX drop.  

I like reading less gushy reviews of a product too and if this is the worst one I can find on the X2 (so far it is) they look like they will be fun to live with for awhile anyway.  Are they really that small compared to the K7 series or is that just some sort of a trick in the camera???

http://www.neowin.net/news/philips-fidelio-x2-headphones-review

PS The Pretty Lights track, "So Bright", mentioned in that review is BIG bass!  DAAAAMN!  Fun tune to check out (youtube or google is your friend).

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #1,440 of 4,580
  50 units out of 2000 with the same problem is definitely an issue. If it wasn't AKG would not have needed to tighten up QC.

Sorry to disagree, but I see 30% failure rate of early Stax as an issue, not 50 out of 2000 units. This is blown up out of proportion here.
Besides that: acquiring knowledge of anything that could be better in a production process hopefully always leads to an improvement in said process... not only if it is a major issue (Focal Spirit first generation production problems come to mind)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back