The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 7, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #1,173 of 4,580

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
We honestly need a more collective opinion on soundstage. I'm trying to find the best soundstage\imaging headphones akin to listening to classical music in a concert hall and i have been on a wild goose chase after ma900s, ad700s, all the headphones in the kXXX and qXXX range...

HD800. there. Your search is over.

Yup. I think this. if sound stage is your main focus, I don't think anything beats the HD800.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,175 of 4,580
We honestly need a more collective opinion on soundstage. I'm trying to find the best soundstage\imaging headphones akin to listening to classical music in a concert hall and i have been on a wild goose chase after ma900s, ad700s, all the headphones in the kXXX and qXXX range...

I expect the K7XX will work for you.  I listen to them a lot primarily because of the soundstage.  If possible, you should also listen to some Grado's.

I believe the strength of the K7XX is the soundstage.  I was surprised by it.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #1,176 of 4,580
Has anyone else tried removing the foam rings? I am enjoying the headphones more with them removed. It definitely makes a noticeable change to the sound signature. With the rings removed, the sound signature is more open, airy, and brighter. With them installed, the sound signature is a fuller, more intimate and darker. I am actually shocked at the difference. If you are concerned about soundstage, I say give this a shot.

@epkrnftblluva: Removing the foam rings might be exactly what you are looking for. The headphones definitely open up and become more comparable to my AD700s in terms of soundstage. When removing the foam rings, the soundstage definitely opens up and becomes airy which I am enjoying. Personally, I love the grado soundstage as it is very intimate and at the same time it is a full soundstage (more spacial depth) which I think the AKGs lack (more spherical, left-to-right). 

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #1,177 of 4,580
  I dont believe he actually heard the k7xx or the K712. he just stated that he was disappointed that someone opined that the sound stage of the k7xx was smaller than the k701.

Probably just needs burn-in.  New drivers don't produce a soundstage as large as heavily-used drivers as far as K70x, this is an ancient story that applies to the whole 70x family.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #1,178 of 4,580
Little late to the rattling discussion, but I just listened to the audio sweeps on page 60 of this thread and noticed rattling in the left driver on my Q701. I popped open the cover piece that has the "Q" logo (or the K7XX logo, respectively) and noticed that one of the wires inside the driver housing was stuck to the foam behind the cover piece. I unstuck the wire, replaced the cover and the rattling was vanquished.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #1,179 of 4,580
HD800. there. Your search is over.

Unfortunately not everyone has heard the HD800's and according to certain threads their notoriously picky towards amps and don't always give their best presentation accordingly. Besides there's gotta be at least more people than just me who hate then sennheiser house sound.

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #1,181 of 4,580
  @SpiderNhan
A photo please ! How do you open it ?

This video showed me how to open it. It takes a fair amount of force to get it to turn. I actually gave up a few times for fear of breaking my headphones, but eventually I just went for it and it moved.

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #1,182 of 4,580
Little late to the rattling discussion, but I just listened to the audio sweeps on page 60 of this thread and noticed rattling in the left driver on my Q701. I popped open the cover piece that has the "Q" logo (or the K7XX logo, respectively) and noticed that one of the wires inside the driver housing was stuck to the foam behind the cover piece. I unstuck the wire, replaced the cover and the rattling was vanquished.

This is what I believed the problem is for the majority of people experiencing an actual "rattle".

Those doing frequency sweeps below 60hz at high volume are simply bottoming out the driver and causing it to deform which sounds like a tiny rattle. It's very unlikely someone would actually get a song loud enough to cause that to happen, at least not listenable.

I imagine 1% or even less are actually defective in any way. Thanks for sharing the link for those that might need it.

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #1,183 of 4,580
  the K7xx soundstage is a few rows forward compared to the K701, sounding a little more intimate. 

Thanks Cory...Happy New Year!

Any time bass and fullness is added, soundstage is gonna suffer. That's just a byproduct of going from lean and airy, to warmer and more bassy.

As for those who seriously want more immersion and fullness with AD700 type soundstage, just quit looking now because you aren't really going to find much of anything. The AD700s soundstage is massive partly BECAUSE it's so thin and dry sounding.

Again, YOU WILL NOT FIND ANY ALTERNATIVE other than the MA900 . Anything with more bass and richness = less soundstage.

You may wanna look into the MA900, which is unnaturally warm as well as very large in soundstage. This is one very odd exception to the rule.

Not necessarily. Sound staging also comes from the driver's ability to deliver the smallest details. Take a look at the older LCD-3 (pre-fazor) measurements with a "double bump" on the 300Hz square wave plot. As a result, you're likely hearing the same thing twice and that serves to give indications to the listener that the sound stage is collapsed. The LCD-X has a tad more bass, but sounds quite a bit more "open" and on that plot, the double bump is gone thanks to the fazor.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #1,184 of 4,580
This is what I believed the problem is for the majority of people experiencing an actual "rattle".

Those doing frequency sweeps below 60hz at high volume are simply bottoming out the driver and causing it to deform which sounds like a tiny rattle. It's very unlikely someone would actually get a song loud enough to cause that to happen, at least not listenable.

I imagine 1% or even less are actually defective in any way. Thanks for sharing the link for those that might need it.

The left side of my pair rattles from 10hz up to at least 200hz at lower than comfortable listening levels, and the rattle is quite audible during a few songs at comfortable listening levels as well. Interestingly, the rattling issue seems to be getting worse the more I use these headphones (initially, the rattle was only up to about 80hz). 

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #1,185 of 4,580
The left side of my pair rattles from 10hz up to at least 200hz at lower than comfortable listening levels, and the rattle is quite audible during a few songs at comfortable listening levels as well. Interestingly, the rattling issue seems to be getting worse the more I use these headphones (initially, the rattle was only up to about 80hz). 

Well, I would suggest checking the wire issue out. If you can hear it that audibly, then it's either a wire or a massive defect. My money is on a wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back