The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 31, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #1,036 of 4,580
If you guys aren't amping these, you really should. I'm just using a cheap HIFIMAN - EF-2A and the sound is fantastic vs. straight out of my X3.

I'm considering a new amp. Can any of the experienced AKG guys recommend one in the $300-400 range.

Thanks

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #1,039 of 4,580
I have recently received my K7XXs and am very much enjoying them. They sound absolutely wonderful with instrumental tracks. Bass is very well-defined and textured. Treble and mids are smooth and effortless. Classical and jazz have so far been glorious. So far I have preferred my Qs for electronica but have not run these new ones through the mill yet. No rattling issues and build quality is spot-on; the matte black finish looks better than the glossy white of my Q701s (though I do also like white as a color). I shall post more detailed impressions once I have more time with them. 

I have used them with a Lyr and an O2 amp (Gungnir for DAC). Interestingly, while I preferred how my Q701s sound with the O2, the K7XXs for sound noticeably fuller--less sibilant, less thin and congested--on my Lyr with Orange Globe tubes. The pairing is outstanding and is so far giving my HE-500 and HD-650s a serious challenge for which I shall need to remain attentive in the coming days of listening. 

Best,

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #1,040 of 4,580
  If you guys aren't amping these, you really should. I'm just using a cheap HIFIMAN - EF-2A and the sound is fantastic vs. straight out of my X3.

I'm considering a new amp. Can any of the experienced AKG guys recommend one in the $300-400 range.

Thanks

Audio GD NFB-15

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #1,042 of 4,580
Many have said the same on the Q701 thread, along with the Matrix M-Stage. I suspect they are on to something.

I used to have the Matrix M-Stage, as well. It is also a wonderful pairing, but the DAC that comes with the NFB-15 makes it the better option, IMO.

Jan 1, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #1,044 of 4,580
Using these with the NFB-15 as well. It's a solid choice.

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #1,045 of 4,580

Thanks

Since you really like Hifiman's hybrid tube amp, I would recommend the garage1217's project ember. It is an excellent hybrid tube amp in the $300-$400 price range. I don't think you will find anything else better at that price point. You may be able to find the old Schiit Lyr 1 at that kinda price, though project ember does have more features & is easier to roll tubes. The new Schiit Lyr 2 clocks in at $450ish.

If you are considering solid state, there are tons of solid options in that price range. Hard to say what to get.

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #1,046 of 4,580

Thanks

In choosing an amp for the K7XX go for the most power you can get.  They really need power to bloom.  Earlier in this thread I provided a link to an article describing a study that showed the K7XX really needs the power.

The Matrix M-Stage, for instance is a really nice amp, and I'm sure it sounds good but IMO it really does not have enough power for the K7XX.  Even though I have a Burson Soloist I plan on getting a project Ember in the near future as a "more Powerful" single tube head amp.  If you prefer solid state, If you like SS, you might prefer the Project Polaris.

Good luck!

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #1,048 of 4,580

I'm from France so I didn't received tracking number, in fact, I didn't received any mail from massdrop regarding this drop. Some French from this thread have already received the akg last week so I'm little worried.

Hello santacruise, I'm an Italian guy and I was the 95th participant in the drop; Massdrop recently did communicate me, by email, that my AKG K7XX has shipped and should be arriving soon.
Contextually, they explained  me the reason of the lack of a tracking number; I do the copy-paste:" In order to keep international shipping costs low, the UPS-MI service does not offer tracking updates for packages sent outside of the USA. We are looking into other cost effective methods to ship internationally and plan to offer more options in the future."
I hope this information will contribute to make less heavy your waiting. Happy new year!

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #1,049 of 4,580
  imo, more meaningful comparisons between akg and sennheiser are as follows:
K701/702 vs HD600
Q701 vs HD 650
K712 vs HD700

He was talking about back in the day, before the HD700 or K712 existed.

In choosing an amp for the K7XX go for the most power you can get.  They really need power to bloom.  Earlier in this thread I provided a link to an article describing a study that showed the K7XX really needs the power.

The Matrix M-Stage, for instance is a really nice amp, and I'm sure it sounds good but IMO it really does not have enough power for the K7XX.  Even though I have a Burson Soloist I plan on getting a project Ember in the near future as a "more Powerful" single tube head amp.  If you prefer solid state, If you like SS, you might prefer the Project Polaris.

Good luck!

Not sure I agree that M-Stage isn't powerful enough, but if more juice is the goal I can recommend the Lake People G series models. G103 is not much more expensive than M-Stage and is more powerful, while G109 is a bit more (but still not crazy in price) and does something north of 2,000mW per channel into the AKGs. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #1,050 of 4,580
  Anyone bass port modded their K7XX? Thoughts if so? Is it the same as Q701 where the soundstage remains intact and just the bass detail increases?

You could always try yourself. It's a reversible mod, given that you don't destroy the plastic piece when removing it. Otherwise, a piece of tape would suffice in replugging the hole. 

It seems to be better suited with the Q701 series, which doesn't have the 3 dB bass boost. 

I wouldn't bother with the K7XX. The 3 dB is noticeable enough that you shouldn't need the mod unless you're a major basshead. 

--Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back