The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 22, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #796 of 4,580
  If someone from Europe recived a parcel, pls post info here.

Yeah, please tell us how much customs fees you had to pay
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #798 of 4,580
I was expecting number 230 per my order, but got 76.  Can't complain.  Sorry #76.  

Not really.
biggrin.gif

Plugged into a Schiit Vali.  I'm debating whether this is the typical AKG sound or not.  I can't decide yet.  The Annies were the only one's that I was okay with.  I will say though, not bad and for $200, good.

Signed,

A Sennheiser fanboy who doesn't like Beyers

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #799 of 4,580
damn what i thought was the K7XX's turned out to be the connector i ordered to repair my 7506s. On the plus said massdrop emailed me to tell me that my headphones are now in canada; odd they only emailed me today even though they've been in transit for 3 days. At least there coming!

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #800 of 4,580
I got the K7XX Friday. Generally sound great. High end is still a bit grainy. HD650 with Cardas cable has noticeably smoother top end. Soundstage is comparable and is fantastic actually. Bass is more voluminous. Comfort is comparable. My only issue is the with the high end/upper midrange.  Extension and air is great, would prefer a little more liquidity and balance. Expect this will improve with some break in. Listening to Spotify premium via MBPr through Aune T1 w/ Amperex tube. 

Generally, these are keepers. More exciting sounding than the HD650's. Not bad at all considering the price. 

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #801 of 4,580
Right now the only comparison that really interests me is one between the K7XX and the Fidelio X2.
Could we make that happen ASAP?
beerchug.gif

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #805 of 4,580
great review! you seem to know your stuff when it comes to headphones. i have no experience with this brand but now i would like to find out more and possible try these out. thx for the info.

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #806 of 4,580

Initial impressions are the X2 box is slightly taller while the K7XX is slightly wider..

Much appreciated! Just the kind of critical review I was waiting for!
I feel like such a scrub having bought the K7XX instead of the X2....

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #807 of 4,580
Well I hate to give a critical review of the K7XX with only 1 hour of burn in compared with about 50+ hours on the X2's but at this point its not even a contest. The X2's deliver a much more engaging sound with more detail, better balance, and more bass. The AKG's just have a darker sound with a somewhat muted top end compared to the Philips. The K7XX is definitely more comfortable for me but the Philips build quality is superior. The X2's are also much easier to drive using a PSA Sprout its about 4 clicks on the dial to get the same volume between the two. I would guess these will improve with some use, its my first pair of AKG headphones so I don't know the AKG house sound. YMMV

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #808 of 4,580
  Well I hate to give a critical review of the K7XX with only 1 hour of burn in compared with about 50+ hours on the X2's but at this point its not even a contest. The X2's deliver a much more engaging sound with more detail, better balance, and more bass. The AKG's just have a darker sound with a somewhat muted top end compared to the Philips. The K7XX is definitely more comfortable for me but the Philips build quality is superior. The X2's are also much easier to drive using a PSA Sprout its about 4 clicks on the dial to get the same volume between the two. I would guess these will improve with some use, its my first pair of AKG headphones so I don't know the AKG house sound. YMMV

In my experience AKG headphones seem to open up after some listening. It may be burn-in, may be my brain adjusting to the headphone, but I definitely noticed a difference on the ones I've owned.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #809 of 4,580

In my experience AKG headphones seem to open up after some listening. It may be burn-in, may be my brain adjusting to the headphone, but I definitely noticed a difference on the ones I've owned.

Yeah, I wouldn't take my initial findings to be a conclusion for the end product. The Philips improved a lot after 20+ hours of use. Now to fire up the pink noise track.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #810 of 4,580
Can someone help me out here.

Its been my understanding, that the 712s were pretty much Annie's with +3db low end and different color. Am I right on this understanding?

So is the K7XX a all black +3db 712 or are they just all black Annie's?

I hope someone can clear this up for me! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back