The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 19, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #692 of 4,580
My Thinsulate-lined boots arrived from Massdrop sooner than expected. Given how cold it has become here lately I'm glad that they arrived first!

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #694 of 4,580
For a few international members, I have no problem serving as an intermediary during the next drop as long as you cover any fees, shipping, and insurance costs. I'm on the east coast. Feel free to reach out if/when that time comes!

My K7XX got in last night. Serial number in the 1400s, order in the 500s or thereabouts. Doesn't matter to me in the slightest.

Wasn't blown away with the sound after a few minutes on our first-gen iPad, but I'll update after listening through my Peachtree Audio Nova125 this weekend. They are definitely a tougher load to drive than my Grado HF2.

My wife likes the K7XX more than the HF2 because "they are less tinny." :smile: I think they are definitely more comfortable because of the pads and their size. L Cush resting on my somewhat large ears gets tiring after an hour or two.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #695 of 4,580
For a few international members, I have no problem serving as an intermediary during the next drop as long as you cover any fees, shipping, and insurance costs. I'm on the east coast. Feel free to reach out if/when that time comes!

My K7XX got in last night. Serial number in the 1400s, order in the 500s or thereabouts. Doesn't matter to me in the slightest.

Wasn't blown away with the sound after a few minutes on our first-gen iPad, but I'll update after listening through my Peachtree Audio Nova125 this weekend. They are definitely a tougher load to drive than my Grado HF2.

My wife likes the K7XX more than the HF2 because "they are less tinny." :smile: I think they are definitely more comfortable because of the pads and their size. L Cush resting on my somewhat large ears gets tiring after an hour or two.

Yeah, like the Q701s (and I expect all the 700 series) they are not going to sound very good through an iPad or iPod.  The 62ohm rating is quite misleading as these cans need quite a lot of current to really open up.  They sound very nice through my Geek Out 720 or my Project Sunrise.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #696 of 4,580
I was 258 and received 1445, so clearly Massdrop didn't deliver on their SN promise. I don't really care, but they posted an update that 265 and under would get a serial number of 300 or less. So much for that.

While the serial number is probably the least important thing for me, I still think this would be a bummer. I'm right on the edge of the 265, and really was excited about a low serial number.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #697 of 4,580

Yeah, like the Q701s (and I expect all the 700 series) they are not going to sound very good through an iPad or iPod.  The 62ohm rating is quite misleading as these cans need quite a lot of current to really open up.  They sound very nice through my Geek Out 720 or my Project Sunrise.

No but for $63.29 any 700 series would sound awesome on any iDevice with one of these dialed in by JDS for them
wink_face.gif
 I was absolutely floored right out of the box at how much better my 702's sounded with the cMoy BB
bigsmile_face.gif

As much as I like my Qinpu A3 the cMoy takes it hands down on my 702's now
k701smile.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #699 of 4,580
  Keep an eye on Massdrop... they'll be dropping more in the future, though it remains to be seen whether AKG will allow international shipping.

Well, actually it doesn't remain to be seen.  They've already said that after the 1st 2000 of their 6000 commitment, AKG prohibited them from doing anymore international sales... presumably because some international AKG distributors raised hell.  

They also said that it's fine for international buyers to use either a pal in the US or a US-based forwarding service, with the caveat that once Massdrop delivers to said pal or forwarding service, they are no longer responsible for what then happens to it.  

They will, however, be doing another drop fairly soon.  They have a commitment of 6000 and have sold something like 2700 of them so far, so additional drops are pretty much a sure thing.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #700 of 4,580
I was 258 and received 1445, so clearly Massdrop didn't deliver on their SN promise. I don't really care, but they posted an update that 265 and under would get a serial number of 300 or less. So much for that.

I believe that change from 250 to 265 was because the initial numbering was per order, and they did not account for individuals purchasing multiple headphones.
Hence, the guy with the order number 250 actually purchased the 265th headphone.

EDIT: Found the original announcement.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones/talk#!110493

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #704 of 4,580

Sorry for this ****ty pics but I am sure everybody got tired of KXX pics already.
Order #5, actual S/N is 98, not bad.
As expected the package is not luxurious at all, only come with detachable cable and a sheet of warranty card.

Build quality wise, not as good as the original MIA K701 I had.(Mainly from the plastic part of the headband, where the AKG logo is, but other than that everything else seems pretty good.)
The headband is BETTER than K701, but you will still feel it all the time, and it ruins your hair.
I can't really compare to sound to K701, cos I forget what K701 sound like long time ago after I sold it (2010 I think). The other headphone I have is HD800, and as you would guess K7XX is behind on every aspect.
I will let it burn-in for few days and see what will change.

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #705 of 4,580
Maybe I am crazy, but the plastic rim around the cup does not appear to be in the stock photos that Massdrop advertised with..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back