The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 19, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #721 of 4,580
Mine were waiting at the door when I got home. Order #17xx SN# 14xx. Didn't have much time with them but popped them into the iphone6 for a minute. Can't say anything other than they make sound out of both sides. Amplification definitely required. Looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks as they get some time on theirs. Super comfy.

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #723 of 4,580
Got mine today, sadly didn't get my SN 57 but 163 instead.  Oh well, didn't want to blow all my life's luck on that anyway.  Have barely listened to them but my first thought is these are surprisingly comfortable.  I mean, I wasn't expecting them to be uncomfortable, but these are legitimately comfy.

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #724 of 4,580
Hi Will

It is actually KBT Race, it has F1-F12.:p
It is a terrible keyboard because of the non standard layout, replacement key caps are impossible to find for all.

Those key caps could be why our IT Departmebt abandoned these keyboards but since I'm an old fart who types with my two index fingers layout is no problem:)

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #725 of 4,580
What's going on? Where are the rave reviews? Am I not supposed to feel complete and utter remorse for having missed out??? C'mon people... lets get the hype on!

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #726 of 4,580
What's going on? Where are the rave reviews? Am I not supposed to feel complete and utter remorse for having missed out??? C'mon people... lets get the hype on!

They are going to be amazing, just as the Annies are. Most of the responses I have seen thus far have been based on unamped first impressions, which, we all know, are not the most reliable.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #729 of 4,580
They are just a pair of $200 dollar headphone. It wouldn't be terrible if you missed it.

Not sure.. I'm feeling like it could apocalyptic... :wink:

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #730 of 4,580
I've got these bad boys amped up right now. They almost need full volume off the Geek Out 1000!

I'm running them through some EDM music first, because if it does decent there as a semi open, then it should really shine in other genres.

Highs are a little crispy as mentioned previously out of the box.

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #731 of 4,580
I'm not one for doing flowery reviews. But going on my gut reactions/impressions, these are a really nice sounding set of cans for the price. They are really fun to listen to. Everything feels nice with a good balance from lows to highs. Highs don't extend as much as the K701s I used to own. Nor are they shrill or sibilant. Mids are present, but not overly in your face. Lows are good, not bad, not great. Not boomy. They're not super textured like a set of orthos. They don't seem to bleed into the mids, which is good. The sound stage doesn't seem to be huge. Everything feels quite closed in. Feels like shoulder length wide. I'm not feeling too much separation and space between instruments. Overall, they are worthy of my 200 shekels. They're certainly not summit-fi nor are they supposed to be.

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #732 of 4,580
I received my pair of K7xx today. Serial # is irrelevant to me, but I was probably very lucky to receive them so quickly and being one of the later purchasers. I do wish that my Geek Pulse order/backing could make a similar jump and bring me ahead of many others, but that is purely being selfish. I do truly wish that those Thinsulate-lined boots would have been added to my K7xx package since I will need those next week...

It's been a while/long time ago since I had the the original AKG K701, so I can't offer any impression compared to this one. I do have a pair of AKG K612 right here and now, it is even the limited "Made In Austria" version...  I have quite enjoyed my version of the K612 related to my preferences, fairly neutral, expansive sound stage and very comfortable.  

I wasn't expecting a grand difference between the K612 and K7xx. But what right out of the box immediately hit my brain was an even larger sound stage, more in width than depth.  Deeper bass bass presentation, indicating that the K7xx presents more sub bass and probably more mid bass as well but without interfering too much with the crucial lower mid range.  Treble seems similar extended but slightly more smooth sounding with the K7xx vs. K612. So IMO, overall a more consumer oriented sounding AKG K6/7xx release and absolutely in a positive way. 

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #734 of 4,580
  What's the sound signature of Thinsulate boots? Would an aftermarket cable improve them?

I believe that it very much would depend on if it's a silver or copper cable and if it has been cryogenic treated.  I also would consider where you intend to place the output jack of the cable, could make a difference, related to comfort and how much voltage/current you want to feed one way or another/placement... Improvement may be individual experienced.. if not, order something else or move to a different climate..

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #735 of 4,580
These are definitely worth the $200. Solid pair of reference cans without having to spend a fortune. My metal music is coming through crisp and clear, albeit slightly more treble happy than I'm normally accustomed to. You need to head into Planar or $500+ territory for better detail.

I can't leave well enough alone though, so I'll be converting them to balanced soon. I think that will really kick these up a notch and make the perfect "budget" balanced headphone for my Pulse Xfi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back