The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 1, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #452 of 4,580
I have also pulled the trigger and looking forward to it.

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #453 of 4,580
I miss the clarity of my k702 and k712, so...in for a pair as well!
cool.gif

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #454 of 4,580
Anyone have any comparisons to the AKG Q701? After going through many pairs the Q701s were my absolute favorite thanks to its wide and accurate soundstage (at least to me). Sold them for the money, now after 2 years I'm looking to buy some Q701s again but these came out now and boy am I interested! 

If anyone can give me a comparison to the Q701, HD650, DT770 and heck even the Koss Porta Pros (Best budget headphone ever) that would be greatly appreciated. Also if there is any gamers out there, how well do they do in accuracy? Considering I play lots of CSGO these would be quite useful. 

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #457 of 4,580
Wow, just found out I'm participant #1966 in the drop for the KXX.
I have a lot of headphones I can compare to the KXX, hopefully I remember to post back a detailed comparison.

Dec 1, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #458 of 4,580
  Don't get too hung up with the rubber bands, I don't think they are that much of a problem (i.e. will fail that soon) and can be repaired in case they eventually become loose.

I'm definitely no basshead, but I love many variations of EDM and did not find the K702AE lacking bass. Yes, the TH900 does much more in that regard, but the AE is not letting one down with electronic genres. If one is coming from more bass-enhanced headphones it might take a bit of time to become accustomed to the AKG, but the newer models in the 7-series do just fine in my opinion.

I have now put many hours of 320kbps mixes from DubPlateFM  (not a plug, just trying to be specific about the source and style of bass I'm talking about) through these K702 65th annies.  I am what you might call a somewhat "reformed" basshead, which is to say that I still love bass, and there's nothing quiet like the visceral thump in your chest that comes from a pair of 12"s or 15"s that is undeniably satisfying.    But since I've delved into this world of high end audio a few years ago, I've come to appreciate tight bass, where you can not only hear each individual note, but also the timbre of each note. (not just BOOM, BOOM, BOOM) to say nothing of the eye opening revelation that I was in for when I discovered how amazing detailed, well articulated mids and highs can be.)  But at my core I'm still the same teen age kid  building sealed enclosures for my favorite subs so they can "hit". lol 

That said, after putting many hours on these K702 65ths now, I am SO GLAD it didn't return them.  What I am about to say might be like putting ketchup on a perfectly cooked/seasoned steak to some of you, (or BBQ sauce on brisket from Krueze Market if you are from the Texas Hill Country)  But I have found that by slightly lowering everything above 120hz (Like maybe -3-5db,  as opposed to boosting the <120hz freqs)  and then pulling down just a little bit more in the 4khz area (maybe another -2-3db or so), and then running that signal through my FiiO E12a on high gain setting with the bass boost on (+4db) produces an amazingly detailed full rich sound with PLENTY of tight, accurate, impactful bass that leaves nothing to be desired. It sounds amazing.  It could be the best sound I've ever heard, coming from these "bass light" headphones.   They sure the hell DO NOT lack bass. (unless you need +20db bass boost to be happy and don't care about the effect that will have on the mids or highs.  (Or even the quality of the bass for that matter.)   The bass from these is tight and accurate, and if boosted slightly (high cut)  they should satisfy anyone who loves bass, and probably be one hell of an eye opener too if you haven't heard  REALLY good headphones yet.

So bottom line you should not shy away from K7xx /K702's  if you like bass.  It's there. All of it.  (and maybe far more accurate than you've ever heard before.)  But you might have to put a little "ketchup" on them using EQ to bring it out a bit more.   For mixing (what I bought these for,  I would leave them dry and not do anything to color the sound).  But for listening, these can be *REAL JOY* with an amp and a little EQ.  No doubt that's been said in a variety of ways on numerous K7xx threads before, but I go ahead and add my +1 to anyone else who feels the same way.  These are GREAT cans.  Get some.

Dec 1, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #459 of 4,580
Hey guys, have a couple of questions here: 
Price aside, would you either get the K712 or the K7XX?
The latter comes at about $253 for me, including tax and shipping, when I can get the former for just under $300 where I live.
I should say that it didn't stop me from biting the bullet, #217 on the drop :D
Second question is regarding amplification and setup:
O2/ODAC, Magni/Modi or Audio-gd nfb-15? Should I consider basing my choice on having the option for optical connection?
Speaking of which, I've heard that optical, as opposed to USB, does not bypass the audio card, which can have the benefit
of having the option for surround sound, but can introduce other issues (http://www.head-fi.org/t/732646/usb-vs-optical-dac),
but it begs the (ignorant) question: if it does not bypass the sound card, then what's the point? Isn't the signal going to be
affected by it? Finally, if I am planning on getting the HD800 eventually, should I perhaps consider going for something, say,
with a balanced connection?
I apologize for those noobish questions, that probably have already been answered (hopefully). I do admit that I'm a newbie
and have a lot of ground to cover on this forum, but what I also am is very curious, so any links or tips are very welcome.

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #460 of 4,580
The latter comes at about $253 for me, including tax and shipping, when I can get the former for just under $300 where I live.
O2/ODAC, Magni/Modi or Audio-gd nfb-15? Should I consider basing my choice on having the option for optical connection?
Speaking of which, I've heard that optical, as opposed to USB, does not bypass the audio card, which can have the benefit
of having the option for surround sound, but can introduce other issues (http://www.head-fi.org/t/732646/usb-vs-optical-dac),
but it begs the (ignorant) question: if it does not bypass the sound card, then what's the point? Isn't the signal going to be
affected by it? Finally, if I am planning on getting the HD800 eventually, should I perhaps consider going for something, say,
I apologize for those noobish questions, that probably have already been answered (hopefully). I do admit that I'm a newbie
and have a lot of ground to cover on this forum, but what I also am is very curious, so any links or tips are very welcome.

the optical out bypasses the dac in your soundcard but continues to use the other features of your soundcard.
I have SBZ -> Modi optical -> Magni -> Headphones.
I choose this configuration so that I could use the SBZ surround. (Razer Surround is not for me sorry.)

If you play fps games on your pc then I would highly recommend a optical dac/amp. I would recommend the Schiit stack to anyone. It is a great setup.

If you do not play need surround then sure, a usb dac is great.

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #461 of 4,580
Those who are getting the K7XX and happen to own Q701s, K70X, Annies, or 712s, do us ALL a favor and swap the pads between them, and tell us which the 7XX sounds like when using the other headphone's pads. I'm willing to guarantee that it will sound near identical to a couple of them. Also do it the other way, and see which headphones sound like the 7XX once you put the 7XX pads on those headphones.

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #462 of 4,580

USB automatically bypasses any built in or add-on internal sound card features
The default setting for S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) is the features of the sound card still work, but you can tell Windows to bypasses the sound card features (S/PDIF Pass Through Device), in the Playback (Control Panel>Sound>Playback)

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #464 of 4,580
Are you in the US? Then probably end of December at latest. 

Mine should arrive in January.

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #465 of 4,580
Only 773 of the second batch accounted for, huh?  Wonder if they'll try to work out something to allow international orders for the next drop.

Anyway, the wait and hope I get my SN 57 begins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back