The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 30, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #421 of 4,580
  No there wasn't ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ No there wasn't ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^No there wasn't ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^No there wasn't ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^No there wasn't ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NO THERE WASN'T!!!!! 
frown.gif

Gonna go cry now.

Here's the expired link http://dealnews.com/Sennheiser-HD600-Headphones-for-265-free-shipping/1209638.html

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #422 of 4,580
  Was just tearing my head for the last few days over the decision of spending $200 on a worthwhile headphone, as my bank isn't exactly that large. 
k701smile.gif

My question is like this: I have a Nuforce Udac-2 as my only dac/amp, and I don't have the money to upgrade. I got it at $35 new, so for a $125 dac I'm sure I made the right decision. However, I'm having difficulty deciding whether they'd be enough to drive the K7XX's to enough of it's potential. Do you think it can do the trick? The AKG's in general are pretty misleading in terms of difficulty to drive, or so I heard,

As master of this awesome thread, to you I turn for guidance 
cool.gif

P.S.- I have a KRK KNS 8400 that works quite well without an amp, so for this purchase to be worth it, I'd like the K7XX's to blow them outta the water.

If it helps, I just sampled the 250 ohm Beyer T90 with the udac-2 and they sounded beyond awesome 
darthsmile.gif
 It could be the AKG's suck up more power though...

Either Way, Thanks so much! U dah man 
beerchug.gif

When did you pick up the uDac-2 ?

I'm having trouble finding any of them available online for the sub $50 price point.  

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #423 of 4,580
I got it through sonicelectronix a few months back open box - I'm pretty sure that was a price low though. You might want to settle for the Schiit Magni everyone's praising, I keep on hearing it's really good. Just remember it's only a amp and not a dac.

It seems most places don't sell the udac-2 anymore. What a shame. I'm sure you can still find it on ebay though, if you want to go that route.
There's a auction currently for around $60 and a 1.5 hours left. Nothing below $50 I'm afraid.

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #424 of 4,580
I joined this drop.  These will be my first headphones over $200 (after tax).

I currently have the Sennheiser HD580 (bought during the Amazon firesale for $125) and the Sony MDR-1R (bought for just under $200).  

I was looking at the Grado SR225e and Beyer DT990, but figured I would give these a chance, since the Q701 had an interesting sound while I was listening at B&H.  

Even though I was around spot 2300 in purchasing, I just checked my transaction page and was able to switch to the mid December shipping.

Going to be using the SoundBlaster ZxR, so hopefully it is enough.

Nov 30, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #425 of 4,580
I would've bought these but I don't think these would sound good without an AMP and i'm not going to be able to afford a decent amp to drive these babies in the near future.
Just curious though, what is a reasonably priced amp that can run these cans effectively?

Nov 30, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #426 of 4,580
  Haha, thanks for that info! I think I can buy the K7XX's in good conscious now 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Summary:

The K7XX's are power-hungry, but given that you will be listening to them with a dedicated amp, it should probably work fine with most above $65-$70. That being said, google your amp to see if it can handle higher impedence. General consensus is that the Nuforce Udac-2 should drive them enough.I can personally testify that for me, the Beyer T90's  (at 250 ohms) sounded more than great with the Udac-2

These headphones are well worth the price, and unless you got your hands on the $265 Sennheiser  HD600's 2 days ago, this is probably the best bet for the money.

Rumors are flying around that although This AKG family with a plain ipod will probably be no good, the Cowon J3 can suprisingly do the AKG K701 headphones much good alone, and the same may hold true for the Cowon iaudio 7 and maybe even for the Cowon D2... although this is still in debate. I'd love to be able to listen to this with the J3 if it can do the job well enough... even at home. Less wires IMO 
biggrin.gif

Don't worry too much, the K7XX should be fine with your equipment and is really good, even more so at this price. Plus it will scale up if you once decide to upgrade your DAC/amp.

Frequency ranges outside 20-20000Hz are more theoretical (yes, I know about slew rate etc...) and often just part of what seems to be an ongoing measurement-war (which amp has more output power etc., a bit like the MHz wars with CPUs... rather pointless when taken out of context).

Regarding HD600 / K7XX: I don't think there's a difference in quality, rather in sound signature and therefore I think the choice is more one of taste than anything else. Both very good, despite their respective age.

Nov 30, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #427 of 4,580
  I joined this drop.  These will be my first headphones over $200 (after tax).

I currently have the Sennheiser HD580 (bought during the Amazon firesale for $125) and the Sony MDR-1R (bought for just under $200).  

I was looking at the Grado SR225e and Beyer DT990, but figured I would give these a chance, since the Q701 had an interesting sound while I was listening at B&H.  

Even though I was around spot 2300 in purchasing, I just checked my transaction page and was able to switch to the mid December shipping.

Going to be using the SoundBlaster ZxR, so hopefully it is enough.

Lucky, I'm still in the mid-Feb date 
mad.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #428 of 4,580
I would've bought these but I don't think these would sound good without an AMP and i'm not going to be able to afford a decent amp to drive these babies in the near future.
Just curious though, what is a reasonably priced amp that can run these cans effectively?

the most commonly recommended very nice entry level amp is the o2 or the schiit magni... both $100ish. if u are on a tighter budget fiio have a lot of quality cheap amplifiersunder $100... just have to check the specs to see if they provide enough power.

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #429 of 4,580
the most commonly recommended very nice entry level amp is the o2 or the schiit magni... both $100ish. if u are on a tighter budget fiio have a lot of quality cheap amplifiersunder $100... just have to check the specs to see if they provide enough power.

Creative actually has their Sound Blaster X-Fi HD for only $59.99 through Monday.

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-digital-music-premium-hd

It's a nice looking DAC with great specs, and good reviews.  I haven't found much feedback on it from this forum, but on others, everyone liked it.  

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #430 of 4,580

I love you!!!!!! I just got the option to change it to December too!!!!

I wouldn't have checked without your post
deadhorse.gif
cool.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
ksc75smile.gif
atsmile.gif
biggrin.gif

o2smile.gif
k701smile.gif
jecklinsmile.gif
dt880smile.png
darthsmile.gif
beyersmile.png

etysmile.gif

...no, ewww, scratch that last one. In-ear? bleh.

Anyway, sosososososo happy! Thank you bro! 

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #433 of 4,580
  Well, Schiit...

On Adorama to boot. This would actually make it the lowest price; last time it was $5 higher. 

Is this HD600 deal a better deal than the K7XX's? Just curious...

It is just a matter of personal taste, both deliver about the same sound quality... I prefer the K7 series sound, and I really like the added bass on the K712 and the K702/65th, if the K7XX turn to be like one of these, then it would be a really nice unit.

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #434 of 4,580
  It is just a matter of personal taste, both deliver about the same sound quality... I prefer the K7 series sound, and I really like the added bass on the K712 and the K702/65th, if the K7XX turn to be like one of these, then it would be a really nice unit.

Actually I find the K712 and K702/65th to have a more natural-balance sound... and they look better too.... and the K7XX looks awesome.

Nov 30, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #435 of 4,580
What's a good DAC/AMP to go along with this?  I'm assuming whatever paired good with the other K series headphone should be ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back