The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 27, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #331 of 4,580
Was checking the reviews on the K701/702/7XX and found that the elastics on the headband seem very weak... Having already secured a K7XX are there any long term issues with the rubber losing tension/cracking? I don't know if I should exchange this for a HD600 for the sake of a longer lasting headphone :S

Nov 27, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #333 of 4,580

Quote:

Just a note: DO NOT DO THIS. The signal return wires are crossed inside the headphones (the mini-XLR on the other end is 3-pin). If you only changed the TRS plug and plugged it into a balanced amp, you may end up wrecking the amp. Crossing the signal returns of a balanced amp (which are NOT shared with the ground) is bad news. You'd have to change the mini-XLR socket on the headphones to a 4-pin one, as someone linked to in another thread.

Quote:

Depends on what you consider easy.  Headphones that have cables going to both earcups are far easier to balance than single entry ones.  I'd also say that it is harder to get a strong joint on the round rods of the AKGs than something like the solder pads of Denon or Beyerdynamic headphones.  Even hardwiring Hifiman headphones are slightly less obnoxious once you get rid of the coax connectors.

To balance a K701 all you need to do is cut off the 1/4" connector and solder on a 4pin XLR connector.
Of course it's not (as) easy if you're changing out the cable as well.

I stand corrected on the original K701. I didn't know the original cable was a four wire one. I have only modded a Q701 and a 702 AE, so I had to do dual entry for balanced (replacing the 3 pin mini XLR was too irritating and destructive). At any rate since the Kxx has the 3 pin mini, it won't be as simple as the original K701.

Don't worry J.   I think I'll keep these SE..    Still - YOU ARE THE MAN...

beerchug.gif

Nov 27, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #334 of 4,580
Was checking the reviews on the K701/702/7XX and found that the elastics on the headband seem very weak... Having already secured a K7XX are there any long term issues with the rubber losing tension/cracking? I don't know if I should exchange this for a HD600 for the sake of a longer lasting headphone :S

I once had an older AKG headphone with a similar mechanism. Eventually the elastics went dead, but that was after many years, so its not an urgent problem I think. They *can* be repaired, but its a bit fiddly I've heard. I would not worry too much about that...

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #335 of 4,580
Regarding international orders on the first batch I just found this quote in the comments section, obviously by someone from massdrop:

Hi Everyone,

Please read all of this carefully.

The last 36 hours have been incredibly exciting. We launched the K7XX at 6am PT Monday morning and you’re on track to eat through the first 2000 units by midnight tonight. As stated in the product description, we expect this first batch of 2000 units to ship out by December 17th with domestic orders arriving in time for Christmas.

That said, we’ve been getting lots of questions about the remaining 4000 units. When will they drop? When will they ship? Initially, the second batch of 2000 units (these are manufactured in lots of 2000) wasn’t supposed to arrive until mid-March with the final 2000 units arriving even later. Today we spoke with AKG and, given the aggressive demand, they were able to speed up their production schedule for the community.

When will the next 2000 units be ready to ship? Mid February 2015.

When will the next 2000 units be available to purchase on Massdrop? Tonight.

Once the 2000th unit is purchased, we will not close this drop. You will still be able to join the drop, but for all purchasers beyond the 2000th, your expected ship date will be February 17th 2015. To make this as clear as possible we’re adding a note in the product description and adding a drop down at checkout where purchasers will have to specify they accept the Mid February 2015 expected ship date.

While this is great for people discovering the K7XX, there is an unfortunate catch for our international members. Because of AKG’s exclusive international distribution agreements, we will be unable to continue shipping K7XXs outside of the United States. To be clear, current international orders will not be affected, you will receive your K7XXs. Going forward, Massdrop will only be able to ship K7XXs to addresses in the United States. I’m sorry it has to be this way and hopefully it will change as we grow.

All in, this is an incredible drop. It’s shattered every record already and we can’t wait to see what happens to the next 2000 K7XXs.

This drop would have never been possible without your support.

Thank you.

- Will

Obviously the suspicion of problems with international dealers were correct and the reason for limiting that to US addresses after the first batch of 2000 units.

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #336 of 4,580
People tend to underestimate just how many people actually read Head-Fi, but may not only not post, but may not even be members.  So...Have fun Will! 
wink_face.gif

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #337 of 4,580
  People tend to underestimate just how many people actually read Head-Fi, but may not only not post, but may not even be members.  So...Have fun Will! 
wink_face.gif

Yes, they seem rather overwhelmed by the reaction... and I can't imagine consumers running for the K7xx, to me its looks more like there are many people, who know what to expect and what a good deal this model is at 200,- And that might well have something to do with head-fi.

I'm sure they have a close eye on the source of their visitors/participants... 

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #338 of 4,580

I've had my K701s since 2009 and they see daily usage, haven't had anything happen to the headband.

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #342 of 4,580
  Interesting, how do these sound compared to the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's (250Ohm)?

I probably like the 990s most out of the trio of 770/880/990. It doesn't take itself as seriously as the 880 (which I don't care for at all), nor is it completely overdone in the bass as the 770 is. It's a fun headphone and very different from the K7XX which is more neutral, spacious, and clear sounding. I don't really see them as direct competitors. 

Weird, I don't recall hearing that complaint ever. The K701 launched in 2006 so there are plenty of old ones out there..... if that was a common issue I think we'd hear a lot more about it by now. Obviously nobody has had a K7XX for very long, but it should be the same as the other models in the series. 

I do recall issues with some other AKG models from the past, such as the K340. But that isn't related to this model at all. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #343 of 4,580
wink_face.gif

So does this mean we can openly mention "massdrop" on HF from now on ?  
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #345 of 4,580
I ended up hopping on. 200 buckaroonies is a tough deal to beat. I had K701s years ago and love my K240 Sextetts. So I figured why not. I think I was somewhere in the first few hundred after 2000. When I went to check out I was given the option for the Dec. 15th ship date. I picked it of course. When I go to "My Transactions" on the Massdrop website I also see that I chose the Mid December 2014 date for shipping. The question is: will they really ship on the mid-December if I'm beyond the initial 2k?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back