The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 26, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #301 of 4,580

Thanks buddy - I assume the winky face is supposed to be a smiley face (but if it's a winky face, I get it lol)! I was wanting to sell some stuff before buying more gear (which is why I was interested in subsequent drops), and also to see how the reviews are to make sure there are no surprises. So depending on your review, I might end up taking you up on this! :)
beerchug.gif

No problem. I'm very familiar with the AKG house sound (Q701, K702 AE, K712, and K612). I'm pretty sure these will be winners, especially for its price. I'll even be comparing it to the X2 and HP200, when they arrive! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #303 of 4,580
I'm willing to act as a relay for an international Head-Fier.

Also, I thought this drop was limited to 2000 in the first batch. What's this "2095 purchased"?

above 2000 will ship in feburary ish

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #304 of 4,580
That's true, and very kind of any would-be proxies. Unfortunately though, it's more of a hassle, and the shipping fees are increased (ie $40 to Canada). Yes, I understand that this is still a good deal.... but

But it is quite annoying that AKG (and Massdrop) didn't state up front that international shipping would only apply to the first 2000. I can't imagine how many international buyers (who were opting to wait for the later drops) would have instead gotten in on the first drop had they know of these shipping differences. Now those would-be buyers are just not very happy.

My take: they started the drop without the issue, someone from a foreign akg dealer got wind of this, complained to akg, then akg asked to put a stop to it. Maybe as incentive to get the next 2000 out quicker. Could be wrong :blush:

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #306 of 4,580
My take: they started the drop without the issue, someone from a foreign akg dealer got wind of this, complained to akg, then akg asked to put a stop to it. Maybe as incentive to get the next 2000 out quicker. Could be wrong :blush:

You're probably right. But AKG knew that up to 6000 units would be being sold through Massdrop, and they knew that Massdrop ships internationally. so they should have thought about this beforehand. To change the shipping in a reactionary manner like this (if that's what happened) is still a non-cool move in my books. Anyway, life goes on and this will be the last of my complaints/comment about it!

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #307 of 4,580
Hello,all. I just wanted to say that this thread is bringing me comfort with my purchase decision, and Just wanted to ask one question.
I have an HTC one (M8) and a Macbook Retina Pro(2014) and I was just wondering if either device will drive these headphones properly,or if a Fio amp(or similar,open to suggestions!) would help increase sound quality in a manner which would justify the expense,thanks all!

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #309 of 4,580
Hello,all. I just wanted to say that this thread is bringing me comfort with my purchase decision, and Just wanted to ask one question.
I have an HTC one (M8) and a Macbook Retina Pro(2014) and I was just wondering if either device will drive these headphones properly,or if a Fio amp(or similar,open to suggestions!) would help increase sound quality in a manner which would justify the expense,thanks all!

It will definitely help bring out it's full potential. I suggest something like the FiiO E12 or Cayin C5.

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #310 of 4,580
I just wanted to buy them and now i am not able to do so. :frowning2:

Even February would've been okay to me, but it is a shame, that they are not giving permission to ship to international destinations anymore.

This deal is a prime example for the real distribution of the power between massdrop customers (and massdrop as a company itself) vs. AKG and its customers(retailer).
It's obviously very onesided and i would not expect to see a deal like that in the future any time soon. I guess some of their biggest customers must have been realy angry.
The idea of massdrop giving buyers more power so that they can get things for a better price obviously doesn't work in this case.  

An unliberal amendment of the terms of the contract, which is negative for the other party, is one of the most negative things a company can do to damage a business relation. 
AKG should have known better how big the demand is and/or limit the deal to a lower batch.

Anyways i would like to congratulate all the (international) buyers for a good deal :)

Edit: I would realy would like to know how big the party of international customers of this deal is. My guess is, that it is way below 50%.

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #311 of 4,580
I had planned on getting the Q701 at some point, but I couldn't pass on the K7XX drop. I bought one of the first batch of 2000 to replace my AD700. I really like the AD700's soundstage and precision positioning, but at times they are a bit fatiguing due to the shrill highs. They also lacked some immersion factor. I'm hoping the K7XX gives me close to AD700 soundstage and precision, while adding some immersion and fun factor.

I may at some point buy the Q701 ear pads to try on the K7XX, with the intent of improving the competitive advantage. I'll have to compare the K7XX with the AD700 to see if it's worth it. How much are the official Q701 ear pads? Is it easy to get them direct from AKG?

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #312 of 4,580

It will definitely help bring out it's full potential. I suggest something like the FiiO E12 or Cayin C5.

I second this.  I have the E12a which was built to also drive IEMs, but the spec sheet says it's good for 150ohms.   It has a high/low gain switch (use the former) and +4db bass boost switch which is just the ticket for these cans. Warms them up very nicely.

Honestly I find the sound to be a bit thin and bright without an amp and a little bass boost.  I would say it's required in this case.  Amped I have no complaints at all (as far as sound goes). They sound amazing.  I hope the K7xx turns out just as good as the 65ths.

-edit-

Checking out Randy Brecker 34th N Lex,  the song "Streeange"  has a muted trumpet featured prominently.  Without the amp at volume, that's a bit harsh/bright. Like whoa, time to turn it down. Not very pleasant...  With the amp, it's fine.  I have noticed the same thing with some female vocals.  It really needs to be amped. 

-edit-
Correction the Fiio E12a is good for 150ohms not 300ohms.  If you have or want high end IEMs get the E12a,  if you want high end full size get the E12. (or something bigger if you need 600ohms)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back