The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 26, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #316 of 4,580
  I had planned on getting the Q701 at some point, but I couldn't pass on the K7XX drop. I bought one of the first batch of 2000 to replace my AD700. I really like the AD700's soundstage and precision positioning, but at times they are a bit fatiguing due to the shrill highs. They also lacked some immersion factor. I'm hoping the K7XX gives me close to AD700 soundstage and precision, while adding some immersion and fun factor.

I may at some point buy the Q701 ear pads to try on the K7XX, with the intent of improving the competitive advantage. I'll have to compare the K7XX with the AD700 to see if it's worth it. How much are the official Q701 ear pads? Is it easy to get them direct from AKG?

Since you are getting the K7XX and I missed the drop then we can both compare against the ad700s.

I will be getting the Q701's instead :frowning2:

Some have actually said to replace the Q701 earpads with the annie earpads.
I have just received a quote from akg/harmon usa for them.
They are probably the same earpads that are already on the K7XX but here is the info regardless.

Thank you for contacting AKG parts department

Here is the information you requested

5021871                $47.55 each pad                 CUSHION, K 712,K702_Anniversary
+6.35shipping

If you wish to place an order please provide
Name
Address
Telephone
Qty
Credit card information (you can call to provide CC info 818-920-3279)

Any questions let men know

Thank you

MARLON GONZALEZ
Customer Service Parts Administrator
AKG, Soundcraft, Studer & Crown Microphone

HARMAN Microphone/Mixer Division
8500 Balboa Blvd
Northridge, CA 91329, U.S.A.
Phone 818-920-3279                                                                        
Email: marlon.gonzalez@harman.com
Web: www.harman.com

I am also going to do the headband mod with a K702 headband instead of the K601 Headband

This is the inner headband for the K702 Headphones, this will work with your Q701 and as you notice is black and it doesn’t have the bumps

2458M98030       $73.59EA              HEADBAND KPL.

Just for your information we’ll be close the rest of the week due to the Thanksgiving Weekend, returning on Monday December 1st

Have a Great Thanksgiving weekend

Thank you

MARLON 

Nov 26, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #318 of 4,580
To balance a K701 all you need to do is cut off the 1/4" connector and solder on a 4pin XLR connector.
Of course it's not (as) easy if you're changing out the cable as well.

I stand corrected on the original K701. I didn't know the original cable was a four wire one. I have only modded a Q701 and a 702 AE, so I had to do dual entry for balanced (replacing the 3 pin mini XLR was too irritating and destructive). At any rate since the Kxx has the 3 pin mini, it won't be as simple as the original K701.

Nov 26, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #320 of 4,580
I already own about 20 headphones (and most still in operational condition
wink.gif
).
And I just ordered the KXX a few hours ago, hopefully they will ship before February.

I would think AKG would built and ship out the KXX as fast as possible, as it would be cheapest to build them in one big batch.

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #321 of 4,580
  ^^^ lol

Edit: to the .gif of course

EDIT 2!!!!

Dude, you can still join the drop. They extended the drop for the next 2000 AKG K7XX but they will shipped out until Feb. 2015

I wanted them for Christmas and do not get paid until friday.

edit: oh I see.. lol is to the merica gif. :)

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #322 of 4,580

Depends on what you consider easy.  Headphones that have cables going to both earcups are far easier to balance than single entry ones.  I'd also say that it is harder to get a strong joint on the round rods of the AKGs than something like the solder pads of Denon or Beyerdynamic headphones.  Even hardwiring Hifiman headphones are slightly less obnoxious once you get rid of the coax connectors.

To balance a K701 all you need to do is cut off the 1/4" connector and solder on a 4pin XLR connector.
Of course it's not (as) easy if you're changing out the cable as well.

Just a note: DO NOT DO THIS. The signal return wires are crossed inside the headphones (the mini-XLR on the other end is 3-pin). If you only changed the TRS plug and plugged it into a balanced amp, you may end up wrecking the amp. Crossing the signal returns of a balanced amp (which are NOT shared with the ground) is bad news. You'd have to change the mini-XLR socket on the headphones to a 4-pin one, as someone linked to in another thread.

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #323 of 4,580
To the people agitated about the international shipping policy and them changing mid-drop: From what I understand Massdrop is expecting their shipment of 2000 7xx's in a week or so, with the second batch coming sometime in February. They had planned on stopping the drop at 2000 units, but the demand was so high that they let it ride. Also, It would make sure they had 2000 backers if people backed out between now and the end. 

Their international backers that were one of the first 2000 to order will still be able to get their headphones as originally stated. Its for the backers after the first 2000 who will not be able to get them due to the beef with AKG retailers. 

I got in sometime around 1000 and looking forward to my Christmas present to myself in a few weeks. Just have to get an amp to get the most out of them. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #324 of 4,580
Nov 26, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #325 of 4,580

Just a note: DO NOT DO THIS. The signal return wires are crossed inside the headphones (the mini-XLR on the other end is 3-pin). If you only changed the TRS plug and plugged it into a balanced amp, you may end up wrecking the amp. Crossing the signal returns of a balanced amp (which are NOT shared with the ground) is bad news. You'd have to change the mini-XLR socket on the headphones to a 4-pin one, as someone linked to in another thread.

eh. we're talking about the k701 here, not the k702/q701/k702ae, k712.

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #326 of 4,580
  So i am looking at getting a mic to go with these would a cable like this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-cable-with-Remote-Mic-connect-iphone-to-AKG-Q701-K702-K271s-240s-/261226262366

seems like a pretty elegant setup, reducing the need for 2 cables. any downsides?

I am also very interested in this for my Q701's anyone have any opinions?

Personally, I would rather keep the stock cable over the replacement cable w/ remote mic and then use the AntLion ModMic. I recently purchased the v4 ModMic for my AD700. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #330 of 4,580
  Well, looks like the first batch of 2000 is all accounted for now so anyone jumping in will be waiting until February.  And apparently going forward, they'll only be shipping to the US because of distribution agreements or whatever (international orders already placed will still be fulfilled).

To the people agitated about the international shipping policy and them changing mid-drop: From what I understand Massdrop is expecting their shipment of 2000 7xx's in a week or so, with the second batch coming sometime in February. They had planned on stopping the drop at 2000 units, but the demand was so high that they let it ride. Also, It would make sure they had 2000 backers if people backed out between now and the end. 

Their international backers that were one of the first 2000 to order will still be able to get their headphones as originally stated. Its for the backers after the first 2000 who will not be able to get them due to the beef with AKG retailers. 

I got in sometime around 1000 and looking forward to my Christmas present to myself in a few weeks. Just have to get an amp to get the most out of them. 

I sure hope my rather early order (#145 if I got that right) will be fulfilled -- though I can not complain about a lack of headphones :wink:

I can very well imagine that his was not coordinated with the european or international distributors, which I consider an oversight on Harmans end.I can understand that distributors don't like their stock devalued by what is essentially an identical headphone at a much lower price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back