The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 25, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #271 of 4,580
  Just get them, you wont be dissapointed. But hurry, only a few left....

Oh for EDM, you will still get good bass but nothing hard thomping or like bass heavy headphones. Not sure but the CALs have a warm signature and have some deep bass when you play some EDM, at least thats what i have read. Never owned a pair.

Thanks, I'll go for them. Worst thing that happens is that I sell them on!

I don't like huge amounts of bass. I had V-Modas before the CALs and they were a bit too bass heavy. I just want more clarity really especially when it comes to classical.

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #272 of 4,580
  Depends on what you consider easy.  Headphones that have cables going to both earcups are far easier to balance than single entry ones.  I'd also say that it is harder to get a strong joint on the round rods of the AKGs than something like the solder pads of Denon or Beyerdynamic headphones.  Even hardwiring Hifiman headphones are slightly less obnoxious once you get rid of the coax connectors.

To balance a K701 all you need to do is cut off the 1/4" connector and solder on a 4pin XLR connector.
Of course it's not (as) easy if you're changing out the cable as well.

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #276 of 4,580
In case you guess missed it.

Note: The first batch of 2000 units will reach American addresses by Christmas. The second batch of 2000 units will reach American addresses by Mid-February 2015.

To be clear all 6k are First Edition. Any that are produced after those first 6k will not be First Edition.

So yes, there will be more than 6k produced, just not all of them being the 'first edition'.

I am going to be replacing these in place of my DT880, its cable is messed up(might might try to see if I can get someone to fix them).

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #277 of 4,580
is it worth getting these to replace my MT-220's? I only get them recently brand new for a really good price so I'm sure I'd be able to re-sell them. 

I'm mainly going to be using them for gaming, watching movies and listening to music of course. 

I have my pair of Yamaha EPH-100's for portable listening.

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #278 of 4,580
Happened on this thread from Massdrop. 

I've been headed much more towards speakers than headphone the past few months.  But this review intrigued me. 

Questions if I may: 

1. I had a pair of the K701 Quincy model.  Also tried other K701s.  I really like a huge soundstage (for a headphone) such as the HD800.  The K701s also had huge soundstage.  But the soundstage was indistinct - more like sound in a large airplane hangar as someone described while the HD800 had a huge but precise soundstage.  (Obviously different price range.)  Other headphones had smaller soundstage such as the HD650 or the Philips X1. 

Do you feel that this model has a more coherent soundstage, but still large? I really do like very large soundstage but only if it 'makes sense' to me.  I know this is subjective  but figure I'd ask. 

2. Would a tiny DAC like the Dragonfly be sufficient to drive this credibly for travel use?   I do like the idea that this is a warmer headphone.  

I really like the Philips X1 and had access to a few pairs where I picked one that was more balanced.  Warm detailed non-fatiguing sound with decently large soundstage. That one is EASY to drive. 

The Philips X1 

Thanks!
ULUL

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #279 of 4,580
I was curious how the akg 7 series compares with the ad700s for soundstage? I just missed the first massdrop for these and was thinking of getting the q701's before I saw this.

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #280 of 4,580
Happened on this thread from Massdrop. 

I've been headed much more towards speakers than headphone the past few months.  But this review intrigued me. 

Questions if I may: 

1. I had a pair of the K701 Quincy model.  Also tried other K701s.  I really like a huge soundstage (for a headphone) such as the HD800.  The K701s also had huge soundstage.  But the soundstage was indistinct - more like sound in a large airplane hangar as someone described while the HD800 had a huge but precise soundstage.  (Obviously different price range.)  Other headphones had smaller soundstage such as the HD650 or the Philips X1. 

Do you feel that this model has a more coherent soundstage, but still large? I really do like very large soundstage but only if it 'makes sense' to me.  I know this is subjective  but figure I'd ask. 

2. Would a tiny DAC like the Dragonfly be sufficient to drive this credibly for travel use?   I do like the idea that this is a warmer headphone.  

I really like the Philips X1 and had access to a few pairs where I picked one that was more balanced.  Warm detailed non-fatiguing sound with decently large soundstage. That one is EASY to drive. 

The Philips X1 

Thanks!

ULUL

1) I feel like the soundstage is pretty impressive overall. Maybe due to the precise driver matching? Dunno, but it's definitely not vague or overly stretched to the point of sounding artificial.

2) Dragonfly should do a reasonable good job with these. Not wringing out every ounce of performance, but it should be listenable for sure.

I was curious how the akg 7 series compares with the ad700s for soundstage? I just missed the first massdrop for these and was thinking of getting the q701's before I saw this.

Sorry, it's been ages since I heard those, so I really can't say.

Nov 26, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #282 of 4,580
Definitely jumping on this. Been waiting forever for K712's to go down in price. This seems to be almost exactly the same performance wise.

Should replace my DT770s 250ohm nicely. Ready for open headphones. Been gaming on closed for too long.

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #283 of 4,580
Well, looks like the first batch of 2000 is all accounted for now so anyone jumping in will be waiting until February.  And apparently going forward, they'll only be shipping to the US because of distribution agreements or whatever (international orders already placed will still be fulfilled).

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #284 of 4,580
all black, really beautiful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back